Weather in N.O. and other islands in early January

Gingee

We are going on the Spirit on January 4th. Now I am beginning to wonder about the weather. First what type of weather does New Orleans have in early January. Then what about Cozmuel, Belize, Costa Maya and Guatamala. Do you think sunbathing would be warm the first and last day at sea?

Thanks

I`ll be doing the same trip but departing on 23rd November plus 3 days in New Orleans at the end of the cruise.

The weather shoud be nice and warm then??? I`m from the UK so it does not need to get that warm for us to class it as n ice and warm

As a former New Orleans resident (for over 10 years) I can only tell you that the weather is unpredictable.

I know that's not helpful, but it's true.

Last year, it was t-shirt and shorts/jeans weather. This year - who knows? The weather in Louisiana (and even Florida, in my experience) is just what ever it WANTS to be!!

I would plan on mostly t-shirts and shorts with some pants and jeans for the cruise and perhaps one sweater/light jacket just in case the weather is colder.

As always, check weather.com and other sources to find out the week before you go - that way you'll have a better idea and be more confident in your choices. You just MIGHT have to pack one warmer outfit - but you may not, so just check...

-Sarah (who's NOT trying to be vague, but can't help it!! :D )

We sailed from New Orleans in February 2007 and had to wear jackets while in New Orleans as it was chilly. Once we got out into the Gulf, it started to get warmer and warmer as we went South. We wore shorts and sandals while on our cruise but got our coats out when we returned to New Orleans. There was some rain in Cozumel but we saw it in the distance - it never rained on us. We did bring ponchos but never had to wear them.

I am from South of New Orleans but now live in California (in the desert). And, yes, you should check the weather.com for a few weeks before your cruise. It helped us when we arrived in New Orleans and made us aware that there was a very good chance of rain in Mexico. (And, if you have friends or relatives in Southern Louisiana, they can let you know how to dress in the Big Easy.)

We are going on the Spirit on January 4th. Now I am beginning to wonder about the weather. First what type of weather does New Orleans have in early January. Then what about Cozmuel, Belize, Costa Maya and Guatamala. Do you think sunbathing would be warm the first and last day at sea?

Thanks

I live in south Louisiana (about 70 miles from NO) and the weather is so unpredictible that you should pack for warm weather and have 1 or 2 sweaters and a jacket just in case. There have been days when I wore shorts in the morning and it was a nice balmy 78-80 degrees and by 3pm it was cold (40's) and we had to wear coats.

We have run our heaters and air conditioners on the same day.

I'm from Mobile, AL due east of NO. We say that if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. You'll probably like the weather better then. Seriously, the weather is extremely variable. We have worn short sleeves at Christmas, and we have had record cold for Christmas. Like mactrio, we've started out hot, but ended up in the 40's in just a few hours time. But it is more likely to go the other way. I've worn multiple layers - warmest coat, hat, gloves, etc. - to work, then shed everything down to a single layer by lunch time. Also, the weather when you return may be completely different from what you had when you left. No prediction for our area is going to be accurate more than a couple of days in advence. Even from one day to the next, the weather forcasts can be completely wrong. Take enough cold weather clothes to get you onto and off the ship comfortably, but pack plenty of warm weather clothes to wear when you get farther south. You should have plenty of time for shorts, etc. farther south if you can't wear them in NO.

I don't know about NO, but we went to many of your destination ports on our cruise at Christmas time a couple years ago. The ports were warm as was the water. However, during cruising days we had significant wind every day even though the weather was good and sitting out by the pool was not possible.

We've always left out of Galveston (except last year's cruise) during the late fall or in winter. I always plan for cooler weather for the day of embarkation and time in that city as well as debarkation. I have the boarding clothes laundered so they're ready for the return trip home and in case I need them during the cruise. The ports have usually been warm, but I'm not a sunbather. I may lounge in a chair to read but I'm dressed usually in shorts to do that. Cruises are one of those things that you need to just take in stride and go with the flow when it comes to the weather. You can plan for the likelihood of this and that, but know that it could very well be different.

i'm a louisiana resident and i'm actually going on the same cruise you're going on.

january is colllld. pack warm for first and last days.

I think it's a matter of perspective. I live in Western NY, where it's been below freezing in January both times we've cruised so far. The first time, we were the last plane that made it out before an ice storm hit.

No matter what it is down by you, it's warmer than Rochester in January, that's for sure! LOL!

Like the UK cruiser said, it doesn't take much to qualify as "nice and warm." Even 60 in January is bliss to me! :D We've sailed out of Florida both times, and it was comfortable. A little cool the first evening out to sea, but by the next morning, it was LOVELY! The islands were nice and toasty. :D

We sailed the Spirit in late January last year. It was warm during the days in NO, but not HOT. I was comfy in capris and short sleeves during the day, but needed something warmer at night. I've been to NO in late Feb. before and it was downright cold. Needed a jacket and pants all the time. The above poster is right, it's unpredictable. Check the weather before you go-don't plan ahead for NO clothes too much.

The islands were very warm during the day. Definitely shorts and tank/tshirt weather. On the ship, espeically at night, it was cool. Bring a jacket/sweater.

the spirit's pool is protected...many of us were out, by the pool, the 1st sea day. even on the top deck they have protection from the wind.

it was plenty warm.

yes, it did cool off in the evenings, especially if you were out in the sun all day.

cozumel was low to mid 80s, but watch it...very easy to sun burn. saw many coming back, to the ship, lobster red.

i lived in gulfport (ms) for the 2 months of nov and dec of 1999...it was COLD!! that was a very wet year, the dampness chilled all the way to the bones. have been in the area, several times, and that was the coldest i saw it.

driving down on dec 2nd, 2007..we were in short sleeves, shorts when embarking the ship..totally different from 1999.

the weeks before, the passengers...on the spirit..had rain in most of the ports. our cruise and most of the ones after us..SUN!!

we had water so smooth, we forgot we were in the middle of the gulf of mexico BUT that's not the norm, just like any body of water. any small storm or change in weather, changes the size of the waves.

Archived