Fees for Mr. Lee

bellagirl

We used Lee Miles' services in Jan. 2008. We were out in a private car with guide/driver from 8am to 12:15pm. The cost for the 3 us was a total of US$240 and included everything. Here is a link to our journal for the day in Cartagena.

http://circle-south-america-2008-aboard.blogspot.com/2008/01/day-5-tuesday-jan-8-cartagena-columbia.html

• 2 weeks later...

There are 18 of us taking Lee Miles' customized tour of Cartagena next month (December, 2008) and the price originally was $810 ($45pp), but because of the exchange rate change between the dollar and peso, it is now $684 ($38pp)!!! Guess the financial crisis we're having has brought us a little bit of good news. :o

• 1 month later...

On our December 14, 2008 Panama cruise my daughter and I went with JJ (Jacinto-200@hotmail.com). That is Jacinto-2-zero-zero, not oh-oh. We arranged the tour through Lee Miles, Mr. Emerald (leland@misteremerald.com) and it was the best city tour we have ever taken. Lee picked a great guide and he was waiting on the pier with JJ and his van with our name pasted on the windshield. Lee and JJ delivered everything they promised. Lee does a great job of selecting the sites – he has a questionnaire that you fill out then he recommends the sites to see. JJ was most flexible and made several adjustments to the itinerary still getting us back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. JJ had a wealth of information and kept us feeling save the whole time. Our last stop was at Lee’s store but there was absolutely no pressure to buy anything. He was genuinely happy to be of service. You couldn’t ask for more. Columbia gets a bad rap but we felt completely save in the city.

Thanks for your great post. We contacted Lee in August 08 for our April 09 cruise, and he is so great to work with, full of suggestions, but does not pressure at all. We are still forming our tour, we have 10 so far, but are only interested in having 14 total. Thank You again for your glowing recommendation re: Lee's tours!

Jan

On our December 14, 2008 Panama cruise my daughter and I went with JJ (Jacinto-200@hotmail.com). That is Jacinto-2-zero-zero, not oh-oh. We arranged the tour through Lee Miles, Mr. Emerald (leland@misteremerald.com) and it was the best city tour we have ever taken. Lee picked a great guide and he was waiting on the pier with JJ and his van with our name pasted on the windshield. Lee and JJ delivered everything they promised. Lee does a great job of selecting the sites – he has a questionnaire that you fill out then he recommends the sites to see. JJ was most flexible and made several adjustments to the itinerary still getting us back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. JJ had a wealth of information and kept us feeling save the whole time. Our last stop was at Lee’s store but there was absolutely no pressure to buy anything. He was genuinely happy to be of service. You couldn’t ask for more. Columbia gets a bad rap but we felt completely save in the city.

What all did you see while you were there?

We also used Lee Miles for our Dec. 8th cruise on the Jewel of the Seas. Loved the tour and the guides--DID NOT LIKE THE VENDORS. They didn't know how to take no for an answer. Followed us around the square--and if anyone in our group stopped to look at anything, all the other vendors came running.

Also, be aware, if you stop for lunch--most of the restaurants serve large meals at lunchtime--not what we're used to in the States. We didn't want to use up our tour time "dining" so we passed on the restaurants.

Bless Lee, he is amazing as his guide Claudia is too! You really missed a treat when you didn't have lunch in Cartegena! We ate at Olla Cartegena and had the BEST coconut shriimp and coconut rice EVER! We loved the city and the sites, it was a fabulous experience!

momacat3:

The main stops included San Felipe Fortress, La Popa Monastery, the old city and Palace of the Inquisition. We drove through several historical and photographic sections of the city and shopped at the dungeons.

How long were your stops in each locations and was the time enough?

Loved the tour and the guides--DID NOT LIKE THE VENDORS.

Yeah, the vendors were definitely annoying. Claudia finally told us to just ignore them. If you say anything at all to them, just say "no". If you say anything else, such as "no thank you" or "maybe later", any kind of politeness at all, then they will not leave you alone.

Once we learned that trick, it got easier. We did end up buying some things from vendors, but waited until the last minute when we were about to get in the van to head back to the port.

How long were your stops in each locations and was the time enough?

On our tour, I would say about 30 minutes at each stop, but Claudia (our guide) really left it up to us as to how long we wanted to stay there. She would take us around and tell us about everything, but if we wanted more time to look at things on our own, she just stepped aside and waited for us.

Ditto what restes said. Lee and his guides have it down to a science but they are also flexible. When you contact Lee he will send you a wealth of information including a proposed itinerary and schedule. I'd say our stops were 20-30 minutes each but JJ did extend one shopping stop to accomodate one of our fellow passengers and cut another one short because we were all back to the van.

I can verify what Moosemilk has said about the Lee Miles tours, as I was on the tour with him. Thay are extremely flexible and the guides and drivers very professional and really show a pride in their country. I was the one who got the stop extended, a thing my wife is most appreciative for. Thanks to all my fellow travelers for their understanding. Would I use Lee Miles again, definitely!

Chuck

From what I have read, there have been many great experiences with Lee Miles tours. Does anyone know how to contact them? I am concerned about this port and want to know we will be safe. Any information is much appreciated:):):)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just back from a tour arrainged by Lee Miles. It was wonderful and tailored to our needs. Not much more than a taxi and much better information on the sites, he finds great guides.

No need to be concerned about safety just some agressive vendors but they are just trying to earn a living.

I would really love to do a Lee Miles tour but with his quote on his website of $200 for a car / driver / guide for four hours PLUS payment for the sites on top of that ..... for 2 people that just seems hugely expensive when we can do a 4 hour ship tour for $59.

Looks like Lee Miles might be best for larger groups but not small parties unless you're rich.

Thoughts please?

I would really love to do a Lee Miles tour but with his quote on his website of $200 for a car / driver / guide for four hours PLUS payment for the sites on top of that ..... for 2 people that just seems hugely expensive when we can do a 4 hour ship tour for $59.

Looks like Lee Miles might be best for larger groups but not small parties unless you're rich.

Thoughts please?

The price per person does go down as the group gets larger. I put a post on the roll call board and had no problem getting a group of eight. In fact, on that cruise there were at least two groups who used Lee. We paid $47 pp but the 2009 price may be a little more than 2008.

It would be worth the effort to try getting a group together. Lee's tours are much more personal and flexible than the ship and I know you would enjoy it more.

Archived