Balmoral - BL0914 Baltic cruise Sun 16th Aug 2009

cruiser mick

Thanks Mick,

I shall pass the details onto the Outlaws. Are you definitely booked on it?

We'll have to stick to the two half days from FO for many reasons. Having said that, if we later find FO half days come close in price I might plan to feed the children coca cola for a few days and book us all on it! One thing I would love to see and do is the metro station and another is the russian meal. I just love quirky stuff like that.

Kez

Hi Kez

Dianne and I were going on the private tour of the hermitage and concert and I was told that it would cost between £120-£150 and it only lasts for an afternoon. So this tour does look cost effective and We too would like to sample the food and visit the Metro, go into the Fort and the Church of the Spilled Blood and do the river and canal cruise.

So, Yes we will be going on the 2 day trip and maybe we will see and do more on their tourist visa, as they allow time out for shopping and other stops.

The company is actually American and you have the choice of paying up front, or on the day, but you have to leave your CC details, incase of a no show or cancellation. Which is normal practice.

Kindest regards

Mike

Cheers. I've passed the information on.

Do we get FO excursions sheet/book before the tickets? Last time we booked very last minute so everything came at once so I don't really know what the procedure is from now until we board.

Hi Kez.

We sail for the Fjords, in 16 days and we had the new style tour brouchure arrive yesterday. When I phoned last week they were not accepting bookings until the brouchure was sent out. So I faxed our tours for the Norway trip, back to them yesterday - As I understand things, they will not accept phone reservations on tours.

Princess were just the same back in April they sent theirs out 14 days before departure.

I understand the tours are on the Olsen website, with an approx price tag, it will give you some idea of the costs.

Mike icon6.gif

This is going to sound an odd question but it's something that I wondered about last year on the Balmoral and never got to the bottom of (because I was too shy to ask). What are the five courses at dinner?

We used to have...

Starter or Soup

Main

Dessert or Cheese

Coffee

....now that is only 4.....where did we (technically) go wrong? I say technically because we weren't hungry, but I'd still like to know to advise the outlaws.

This is going to sound an odd question but it's something that I wondered about last year on the Balmoral and never got to the bottom of (because I was too shy to ask). What are the five courses at dinner?

We used to have...

Starter or Soup

Main

Dessert or Cheese

Coffee

....now that is only 4.....where did we (technically) go wrong? I say technically because we weren't hungry, but I'd still like to know to advise the outlaws.

Like you we stuck to the courses that you did but it hindsight I guess it should have gone more like this:

Fish/salad starter

Soup (hot or cold - never did get the hang of cold Pina Colada soup:eek:)

Main Course

Dessert

Tea/Coffee

If you look on Fred's website for the chef's recommendation menu, they appear to agree with the above. Don't think I could eat that much though;)

Oh, I saw the salads and thought they were a healthy alternative choice to the main course not in addition! So, its actually five courses plus coffee...........so 6 courses! Wowweeeeeee

Getting really excited now. I am so busy in the office (not complaining obviously) but I desparately need a holiday and my daughter reported on facebook today that its 2 months and a day to go........so we are already counting here!

8 weeks today folks!

Best wishes to M & D on their pre-cruise cruise to Norway. Can you find out for us if they ever bothered to build the sauna on Balmoral. It was 'delayed' when we went in August last year but I've not heard anyone mention it's now up and running so wonder if they have ditched the idea completely.

Also I'll be interested in who our Captain might be. Is Johan Dyrnes coming back onboard for August?

Hi all.

As it is rather expensive to park at the Dover Port, we have booked with Relyon Parking in Dover, via www.holidayextras.com Tel 0871 3602020.

The cost of secure parking, for the 12 days is £58.35, incl (.99p) cancellation insurance. I tried several companies, but they are all the same cost. The park is around 10 mins from the port and they shuttle you in and collect you, on your return. Maybe this info, will help some of you fellow cruisers.

Don't worry Fiona, about your weight. Just feel sorry for us, as I am going into this one 3lb heavier than I did the last trip, after controling myself since our return. Then when we get home from Norway, I have just 6 weeks to lose what I have gained onboard again.icon11.gif

Thanks Kerry for your best wishes, I see that they are still showing the Sauna, so I presume they will still have one, but we will check for you.

Anyway only another 7 days to go and so much to do, I'll be disappearing for a couple of days next week down to the coast, just to cut the grass and tidy up at our bungalow there, before we leave.

Anyway will talk again before then.

Mike

3lb... that's nothing!

Hope you both have a wonderful time and that Dianne has a lovely Birthday :)

Thanks for the car parking information, the Guest House we booked for the Saturday are sorting us out with a company, I trust they will be getting us a good price, I will e-mail them to check it out. They just told me it is cheaper than the port.

Happy Birthday and Happy Sailing to you both!

Fiona and Andy x x

Hi Fiona and Andy.

Never mind the 3lb its the orther 7lb that I'll collect on the next trip that concerns me.......!!

Dianne thanks you for your birthday wishes and we will try to have some fun.

At least my 84 year young mum hasn't gone into panick mode, as yet.:confused:

Speak again soon

Mike

Your Mum will be right at home with FO - no panic required. I suspect a higher average age on this one than in August but, then again, with Dianne's age creeping up all the time - perhaps not ;)

Do you know your dinner sitting and restaurant on this one?

We parked at Dover Port last time. It was extremely convenient but also pretty expensive at just under £100 for about 13 nights. We looked at Relyon but they were full (we did a FO last minute deal - literally last minute) so being August I suppose that should have been no surprise.

We are taking the train this year on advance train ticket deals. Because we travel so far we are coming up on the 15th and back on the 29th with two guest house stays.

I am getting sooooooooo excited. You wouldn't think I'm the wrong side of 40!

Hi Kerry.

My mum always goes into panic mode ( with Olsens or whoever) and upsets herself for 24hrs. if she goes beyond that I march her to the doctors, for the injection and that never fails.

Dianne was just getting to like you, but now her age is creeping up, well these Aussie's don't take prisoners....!!

Yes, at just around middle age you do look forward and enjoy these cruises. Around 60, you have the Tee shirts and lay back and wait for the next trip, to roll along. Between 65 & 70 you start enjoy visiting these places again as the memories are good, but remembering is a dim recollection. After 70, its great because your visiting all these places and they all seem new to you.

Where do you have to travel from.

I have made my requests for our dining arrangements, But as its a last min booking, we will have to see what we end up with, once we are on-board. We do have our cabin numbers, at least that is something.

Well all the lawns are cut, etc. A trip to the dentist this afternoon. A massage tomorrow morning, then collect my drugs and finish planting out our garden. After that its just the packing of our cases, left for me to do on Friday/Sat.

Now don't you ladies start to get too excited - Its no good for the blood pressure.

Speak soon

Mike

It's my birthday next week too, so I really shouldn't be so cheeky! I dare say she still looks half my age; stress of a teenage daughter has really taken it's toll on me!

We're from Cornwall. The A303 is a nightmare on any Saturday in August, hence the choice to travel by train (which will probably also be manic, but at least it'll seem less so with reserved seats and a bottle of wine!).

Hope Dianne has a wonderful birthday onboard and the waiters are in fine voice :)

It's my birthday next week too, so I really shouldn't be so cheeky! I dare say she still looks half my age; stress of a teenage daughter has really taken it's toll on me!

We're from Cornwall. The A303 is a nightmare on any Saturday in August, hence the choice to travel by train (which will probably also be manic, but at least it'll seem less so with reserved seats and a bottle of wine!).

Hope Dianne has a wonderful birthday onboard and the waiters are in fine voice :)

Our sincerest Birthday Greetings to you on your special day, next week.

It all happens for Dianne on the 30th, how about you?

Have a lovely day.

Mike

Hello again.

We returned from the Balmoral yesterday after a truly wonderful cruise around the Fjords. Although we left Dover in fog, the weather improoved daily, reaching 32'. The ocean was like a mirror from start to finish and the scenery was out of this world.

Ship board life was good, with excellant entertainment & exceptional food, and the good news ~ I came home lighter than when I left home.

Our Captain was Johan Andrew Dyrnes, with Cruise Director Allan Tait.

As we were on first sitting dinner, it allowed us time to see both shows each evening and a walk around the deck in the balmy air, watching the midnight sun sink down just below the horizon. This was the only problem one could get too carried away and forget about time and early rises the following morning.

We received our requested dining table OK. BUT, it was in the Avon restaurant, not the Spey. So our apologies to you all, we really got it mixed up last cruise. But don't worry the Spey is a mirror of the Avon on the Port side. We have arranged for the same table and waiter, on second sitting in August.

The Sauna is open, but the steam room will not be operating.

Dianne's birthday went off well, especially at dinner with a bottle of Ruby Champagne, complimented with a bowl of fresh strawberries and a beautifully made, full size cake, covered in cream and fresh strawberries. Our table companions were delighted to join our celebration. As a tee total diabetic, I enjoyed my baked Apple and glass of water, but I did have a few strawberries. Hopefully our 25th will be just as nice.

Hoping that you are all fit and well, as its under 6 weeks now.

Talk again soon.

Mike

Thanks for undertaking a pre-cruise risk assessment for us! Good news on the sauna - I'll let the other half know. Good to hear Johan is back on board - he was great fun last year. Not met Allan Tait; we had Jo Hudson.

The birthday treats sound wonderful!

Archived