Sorry. It's our first cruise. We didn't know the etiquette...

Roboat

A couple of other ideas:

Don't forget to teach your children ship etiquette such as no running in the halls and yelling at all hours and not using the elevators as their private play areas.

Please, please wear some kind of footwear in the buffet area. Too many times I've seen people come into the buffet with bare feet, stop and scratch the bottom of said feet and then serve themselves in the buffet. That's just gross. Heck, for that matter, please wear a cover up if you're in a bathing suit. Nothing like sitting in a chair after someone in a thong was sitting there, covered in greasy suntan lotion.

A couple of other ideas:

Don't forget to teach your children ship etiquette such as no running in the halls and yelling at all hours and not using the elevators as their private play areas.

Please, please wear some kind of footwear in the buffet area. Too many times I've seen people come into the buffet with bare feet, stop and scratch the bottom of said feet and then serve themselves in the buffet. That's just gross. Heck, for that matter, please wear a cover up if you're in a bathing suit. Nothing like sitting in a chair after someone in a thong was sitting there, covered in greasy suntan lotion.

Okay, that's just gross... I think I just threw up a little bit :eek:

What a great thread! Hubby and I are cruising here soon and this is my 2nd, his 1st cruise. I agree with the lot of you-common sense is what it boils down to. *Don't holler in the hall at the wee hours of the morning-I'm pretty crabby if woken up so I guarantee I'm NOT the person to wake up at 4 am LOL *WEAR SHOES in ANY area that you intend to eat in *Keep your kids under control. I am a mom.. I have 5 kids aging 6,5,4,2, & 1 (no they won't be going with us) so I understand how kids are but I also believe in teaching children how to properly behave. *Wear a cover up over your bathing suit as someone else already noted. *When in the stairwells or hallways, move to one side...don't just walk down the middle. It's all just basic, everyday stuff that applies to being at home. And the most important rule..... HAVE A BLAST!!!!! :D

Thank you all for this thread. My husband and I will take our first cruise in February, and I was wondering about balcony etiquette, and proper behavior at buffets and the shows.

Does anybody have any helpful tips about embarkation/debarkation? Did I phrase that correctly?

embarkation and disembarkation are easy...just follow instructions and be prepared for a little line waiting...there's nothing worse than groups of people that feel that their needs getting off the ship are greater than others...

Amen to that!!! My first cruise, back in 2003 (on Sovereign to the Bahamas), this guy actually threw a fit because my friend and I were getting off the ship before him. We, however, had booked the Kennedy Space Center excursion. One of the staff asked him if when his flight was and what excursions he'd purchased and he of course said no excursions and his flight didn't leave for 2 days so they just said "I'm sorry Sir. Unless you have an early flight or are on the Kennedy excursion, you'll have to wait". I couldn't believe it!! He actually stood there and moaned and groaned until finally, I turned around and told him that b*&^*% and whining wasn't going to solve the matter so he might as well go find a lounge and relax for awhile lol

People never cease to amaze me!

• 2 weeks later...

After our recent cruise, I need to add:

-- unless you are entering or leaving your cabin, please keep your cabin door closed

-- if you have other members of your group across or down the hall from you, please don't just lay on your bed and yell information to them through your open cabin door

-- discipline your children and/or grandchildren in private, don't humiliate them in public

Discuss with your children how to behave BEFORE going on vacation. Do this a number of times.

Don't let them run through the dining room.

Don't leave them alone to roam the ship.

Don't let them play in elevators.

Be quiet later at night (like after 11:00 pm) when walking past other's cabins.

Be polite. Don't shove. Wait YOUR turn. We were taught how to treat others back in elementary school... try to remember what your 1st grade teacher taught you.

At least ATTEMPT the dress code for the evening, including the main dining room....

Enjoy your cruise, have fun, and pass on a little forgiveness to new cruisers. Finally....learn from your mistakes!

We had a problem several nights while eating in dinning room, there was some activity going on down below we were seated by the railing, a couple with like 4 kids came over ever night and climbing between our table and the railing so they could see, this blocked our view and the kids were climbing on our stuff beside the table, we had placed some gifts and our cameras etc. my dad mentioned please watch the cameras the father turned and said move your stuff then my kids want to see. The next night I set closed to the rail the man walked up to my chair and attempted to move me and the chair. I think it would be nice if people would think before standing in front of people or stopping to look at a something if someone is already viewing the location.

And if you're with a group and are waiting for some of them outside their cabin, don't take up the whole hall, talk and laugh loudly and act totally unaware that others may want to walk down the hall or get into their cabin.

We had 6-8 people waiting for others in their group outside our cabin quite often; maybe a meeting place on a public section of the deck would be better if some people can't be ready on time.

A friendly hello when you passing someone in the hall wouldn't kill either. I understand its a vacation and there are those that may may not like to socialize but if I'm walking past you in the hall and say hello or smile...pls just give me the common courtesy to do the same. That's all I ask. I've had people look at me like as if had 3 heads or turn away just for being polite and saying hello. Oh and "excuse me" & "thank you" go along way too.

And if you're with a group and are waiting for some of them outside their cabin, don't take up the whole hall, talk and laugh loudly and act totally unaware that others may want to walk down the hall or get into their cabin.

you never know when people are resting/relaxing...there are plenty of spaces for a group of people to get together other than the hallway

This same group congregated in the hall outside our cabin almost every night before dinner; I guess waiting for the people in the room next to ours. They stood in bunches in the middle of the hall, sat on the floor, legs stretched across the hall, leaned against the walls, etc. They were all women ranging in age from late teens to 40-50--old enough to know better, but apparently oblivious to inconveniencing others. They would stare at us as if we were somehow terribly rude for wanting to walk down the hall, rarely smiled or said sorry, moved reluctantly only after we had to almost push them out of the way. (We didn't push, of course, but they'd wait to move until we were almost stepping on them.)

the thing that irked me the most was the lifts. People using them for only one flight, when htey looked fit enough to use the stairs ( I don;t do stairs well ) & then those that go into a trance when in the lifts, so when they reach their desired floor, they are oblivious to the fact & don't get off till the new people get on. I understand its a vacation, but day dreaming when on a public lift irritates me.

When you see people going to the front of lines don't just assume they are butting in line and proceed to yell at them or grumble to all around you that they should go to the back of the line. They may have VIP priority status which allows them to go to the front of the line for whatever the majority must wait patiently in line to do.

Wow-thats a new one. VIP status does not give you the right to cut in buffet lines. Handicapped okay. Priority boarding, tenders, debarkation okay. But VIP's have to wait in line at the buffet, shows etc. I've never heard of a VIP - even those with suites getting to cut in line.

These are my buffet opinions. Let me know if I am wrong.

There is nothing wrong with passing someone in line once you reach the buffet. Just because someone stops and picks at the first dish does not mean you must wait for them. Walk around them and take something else.

When going back for seconds there is nothing wrong with going directly back to the item you want. You do not have to go to the end of the line.

In addition to basic manners.....PLEASE wash your hands often. If you need to sneeze or cough, rather than doing so into your hands, use the crook of your elbow and wash your hands afterward.

Also, if you must blow your nose, please go to the restroom to do so. Nothing is worse than someone blowing their nose in the dining room.

I, being a mother of 2 small children find it annoying when I am trying to go back to my room when my kids are having a melt down and getting dirty looks from people while I am in the process of trying to resolve the situation. Kids have melt downs, instead of giving dirty looks or making rude comments to a mom tugging 1 kid even or more, try asking if she needs help or be a little compassionate. Most of us have kids or have been one at one time or another and know kids don't know or realize they are disturbing people. I agree that you should keep your children under control, teach them manners, tell them what is right and wrong, but when a child is in melt down mode, don't expect them to do any of the above, just try to correct it as quicky as possible. Done over exert your kids either, just like Disney World, if they get tired, go back to the room and let them rest....

So when you see the mom about in tears with her screaming kids, hold the door open for her or ask her if SHE is ok....trust me, she'll feel so much better about the situation and may calm down a bit herself!;)

Kids have melt downs, instead of giving dirty looks or making rude comments to a mom tugging 1 kid even or more, try asking if she needs help or be a little compassionate.

Hi Jen,

Whenever I witness this type of situation my instinct is to help out. What holds me back is (a.) the fear of the mother's anger coming my way, (b.) I may scare the children and make things worse, and (c.) I have mostly stopped conversing with / approaching stranger children for fear of being labeled with the 'p' word.

The one time I did try to help out with a whining / demanding child in a checkout queue recently, the mother totally ignored me. No reaction whatsoever. Uncomfortable silence. Obviously overstepped her boundaries, I thought.

So, maybe I'll ask the mother does she need a hand next time instead of speaking to the child - thanks, I've learned something!

A friendly hello when you passing someone in the hall wouldn't kill either. I understand its a vacation and there are those that may may not like to socialize but if I'm walking past you in the hall and say hello or smile...pls just give me the common courtesy to do the same. That's all I ask. I've had people look at me like as if had 3 heads or turn away just for being polite and saying hello. Oh and "excuse me" & "thank you" go along way too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. It seems as though common courtesy has declined in recent years. It may seem minor, but it is a peeve of mine as well. Even in traffic, people don't waive anymore when you let them in. :rolleyes:

Great idea for a thread!

1. A lot of interpreted "bad" behavior can be prevented by reading your daily newsletter carefully each night and attending the cruise directors "instructional" lectures. It clearly explains the tendering process, disembarkation, etc. It's worth the time for first-time or haven't-in-a-long-time cruises!

2. Many ships have restaurants and bars in major thoroughfare areas. I think it's odd, but I guess it maximizes space. At any rate, try to be a little quieter as you walk through these areas, particularly if there are performers working.

Kids have melt downs, instead of giving dirty looks or making rude comments to a mom tugging 1 kid even or more, try asking if she needs help or be a little compassionate.

Right. Because it is never the mother in this scenario who is being insensitive and unaware of how her volume, tone and/or behavior are impacting those around them. It is never some self involved mommy who has decided that their child's 'meltdown' is an adequate reason to shriek at their child or barge through groups of others without regard for the activities of those around them.

Nor has a mother ignored the signs of an impending 'meltdown' (or even encouraged it by keeping the kiddos active till they are too tired to do anything BUT melt down) for her own selfish interests.

Because of course a mother under the stress of a 'melting down' child has never been known to focus on her small world or be overly sensitive to comments and glances of those around her.

Perhaps mommies need to consider that the commentary or looks aren't any more a personal attack than their own behavior is.

(And heaven forbid we mention the father in all of this)

My pet peeve:

Just 1) because you are on vacation 2) You are on a ship, and therefore don't have to drive home, It is NOT an excuse to get inebriated, loud, and obnoxious. It is especially annoying when drunk people get loud and obnoxious in the theatre.

Archived