Mexican cruises soon to embark in Rocky Point!

Sunny AZ Girl

I have just learned that there will be a dedicated Sea of Cortez option in about 3 years for those of us who love to cruise, but aren't too happy about flying across country to do it! The Mexican State of Sonora is building a new cruise terminal in Rocky Point or Puerto Penasco. They are also building a new airport, hotels and making improvements to the highway leading from AZ to support it. Rocky Point is often considered 'Arizona's Beach' as it is a easy drive from Phoenix & Tucson, so I'm excited!:D Right now HAL is planning 5 - 9 night cruises dedicated to the Sea of Cortez from this port.

HAL is already doing cruises that the Sea of Cortez, but this will allow the ships to head further north as Rocky Point will be a new home port. New ports for us to explore. WooHoo!:D

Here is a link to just one article I found concerning this.:)

http://www.visitrockypoint.com/?p=3129

I certainly like the idea of having a port that close to Phoenix, though im not certain i would want to drive there and leave me car in Rocky Point for 5+ days! :-(

Nothing against the town, i love Rocky Point, i just dont trust it! LoL

I'm thinking that they will offer some sort of shuttle bus out of Tucson or Phoenix. That way they can also attract people who would be willing to fly into Arizona to go on the cruise. I agree, I definately would not want to leave my car in Rocky Point unattended, even if it was a secured lot! Definately a nice alternative for us Arizonans with the airfare prices so high!

I'm thinking that they will offer some sort of shuttle bus out of Tucson or Phoenix. That way they can also attract people who would be willing to fly into Arizona to go on the cruise. I agree, I definately would not want to leave my car in Rocky Point unattended, even if it was a secured lot! Definately a nice alternative for us Arizonans with the airfare prices so high!

That would be a very good idea. It would certainly make DH happier!:)

Thanks for the info SunnyGrl

You're welcome! Always glad to share info with fellow Chicago area folks.....ok, I used to be from that area. I',m staying much warmer these days.:D

We have been going to RP for 30 years with our RV. We leave it down there between visits. They keep it and many others in a fenced in lot with security guards. The fence has that barbed wire along the top. We have never had anything damaged or stolen. I think I would trust leaving my car down there. This would be a great home port for us. I hope this is true. There are not a lot of nice hotels down there. You would have to rent a condo if you stay the night before. It's about a 3 hour drive from Tucson, so you could stay there. By then, there should be some better bus service than there is now.

Archived