Fuel Surcharge

dolfan95831

We are going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and it makes me so mad that the price of gas is so low now and we STILL have to pay for the surcharge. In 2 weeks they will be getting the fuel at the lower price for our cruise so they are just taking additional money from all of the passengers - they should at least offer us OBC!

I agree...There are other lines that are changing their policies and basing the surcharge on the price of oil at the time of your cruise and the price of oil a few weeks before and if the price stays below a set $ amount for so many days then your sailing will be reimbursed the surcharge. There's no reason for NCL to take the surcharge if they're not paying the same ridiculous prices for oil.

Just a thought. I know that the airlines have fuel purchased ahead of time. Maybe they buy something like a 3 month window at a certain price. They do not pay the cost of the fuel when the pull into the dock on Sunday. I think that may be the reason that they set a certain date that the price of fuel must be below for the next three months of cruises to get their money back. I know that it doesn't make you feel any better, but possibly that is the reason.

I agree...There are other lines that are changing their policies and basing the surcharge on the price of oil at the time of your cruise and the price of oil a few weeks before and if the price stays below a set $ amount for so many days then your sailing will be reimbursed the surcharge. There's no reason for NCL to take the surcharge if they're not paying the same ridiculous prices for oil.

I TOTALLY understand how you feel and why you feel this way, but just to be fair to NCL or any other travel entity, they do contracts for fuel for months in advance. So while you and I are personally reaping the benefits of the lower fuel charges at the gas pump, I am very sure NCL is still paying some high price that they contracted for months ago. Not saying it makes it any better to still pay fuel surcharges when fuel has gone down, just trying to be fair.

As per the cruise critic news board

For those booked prior to November 10, 2008 for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010, and those booked on sailings that depart in 2009 regardless of booking date, the criteria for refund will be determined on a quarterly basis. Simply put, if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is below $65 per barrel two weeks prior to the beginning of the calendar quarter during which your cruise sets sail, the company will refund whatever fuel supplements you paid in the form of an onboard credit.

So i think that anyone cruising before January 1, 2009 will not get anything.

Archived