What I would have done differently. . .

dplb3

One for th ekids dirty clothes....

Where can I some of these ekids Kathy?? LOL I'm totalling agreeing with you about the duct tape. I've even used it to hem pants and skirts in a pinch.

What I'd do differently though is to bring less formal clothes and way more swimsuits and shorts.

Where can I some of these ekids Kathy?? LOL I'm totalling agreeing with you about the duct tape. I've even used it to hem pants and skirts in a pinch.

What I'd do differently though is to bring less formal clothes and way more swimsuits and shorts.

I got mine on ebaby a few years ago...now they have grown into ekids-so much easier!

I am the world's WORST typist! Many moons ago in high school I was the example of "How Not To TYpe"

great subject::

less clothes, even after 20 plus cruises I still overpack, but not by much.

night light; I will this time

no hair dryer; I don't have that much hair, I can use the ones on the ship

number 1- less jewelry, I always bring several pieces, when a couple pair of ear rings and one of two other pieces will do fine.

more 1.00 bills

Nita

When packing, if there are two of you, be sure to pack half of your stuff in each suitcase(s) so that if one bag gets lost or whatever, one of you isnt without clothes completely.

When taking insect spray (Off, etc), try it out before you leave home. I know this will make folks laugh, but last week on the Pearl in Roatan, I sprayed the stuff on my face at the beach and it stung my face, made my lips go numb and it stunk. I could not wait to get back to the ship to wash my face in soap and water. Same thing with sun screens. Will try them out at home first.

A small flashlight to keep on the table by the bed in case the ship loses power during the night.

Try try try to remember to pack a beach bag (to carry beach towels, id's, money, bottled water, etc) when we are on a cruise that we plan to go to the beach somewhere. So far, every cruise, we have had to buy a beach bag because I always forget to pack one for us.

Make sure and pack enough gallon ziplock bags. They are great for bringing back wet bathing suits and aqua shoes and we always pack our liquids in them. Use quart size bags to pack all the liquids in our toiletry(SP) bag.

Thank you cards for tips for the butler, concierge, room stewards and anyone else we want to give extra tips to

When packing, if there are two of you, be sure to pack half of your stuff in each suitcase(s) so that if one bag gets lost or whatever, one of you isnt without clothes completely.

Thank you, this is my favorite "well duh, why didn't I think of that?" tip of the day that we will be using next week when we go on vacation!

This is a great thread - I'm thinking it should be a sticky! I'll be checking back as we get ready to pack.

I'm not sure I have anything to good to add except to ditto the sticky notes, pens, small flashlight, duct tape, plastic ziploc bags and small bills. We also like to be sure we always have a deck of cards and a travel cribbage board along!

Thank you, this is my favorite "well duh, why didn't I think of that?" tip of the day that we will be using next week when we go on vacation!

This is a great thread - I'm thinking it should be a sticky! I'll be checking back as we get ready to pack.

I'm not sure I have anything to good to add except to ditto the sticky notes, pens, small flashlight, duct tape, plastic ziploc bags and small bills. We also like to be sure we always have a deck of cards and a travel cribbage board along!

I wish I could take credit for it.. hehehe.. but I think I got that from Toyz on an earlier thread that was along these lines.. She is amazing with all the info she has.

Wow - I am packing this weekend and just made my list longer - thanks:D I also take along heat or cold packs (heating pad) for those extra aches and pains you may get from hiking, bumping around in boats, riding horses, etc. For cool nights an extra wrap or large scarf - very versatile.

Try try try to remember to pack a beach bag (to carry beach towels, id's, money, bottled water, etc) when we are on a cruise that we plan to go to the beach somewhere. So far, every cruise, we have had to buy a beach bag because I always forget to pack one for us.

Ah! A hobby! Terry is a secret Beach Bag collector!

I will take less shoes next time. I wore my loafers most of the time on the ship (very comfortable) and something a bit sturdier (walking boots) on the excursions in Alaska. I didn't need 2 pairs of trainers or the 5 other pairs of shoes I took. Then again I didn't participate in the dress up stuff, just smart casual and my loafers go well with a pair of slacks.

Also I would plan my days a little better by studying the daily and making my mind up before mid afternoon when everything was over.

The first time we went on a cruise, we weren't aware there would be a passenger talent show. My daughter, a college music major, was disappointed she hadn't brought any music along. She brought a piece of piano sheet music along on our next cruise and had a great time participating in the passenger talent show.

On that second cruise, we booked the air through the cruiseline, and we'd never do that again. We didn't get notice of our flight times until very close to our cruise vacation, and we were nervous about the flights we were put on. We were scheduled to arrive in Honolulu only 2 hours before the deadline for boarding. If our flight from Minneapolis had been delayed by a couple of hours, we'd have been in trouble. For our upcoming third cruise, we've made our own air arrangements, and this is permitting us to pick flight times we like and plan some activities in the departure city before and after the cruise.

Something we've done each time we've cruised and will never skip: purchasing insurance. We once had to cancel a 12/23 cruise on 12/22 because my teenage daughter had a chest pain that turned out to be a pneumothorax (a small leakage of air from her lung into her chest cavity, not a serious condition but her doctor said she couldn't safely fly until the leaked air had reabsorbed.) Within a couple weeks, we received a check reimbursing us for every penny spent on cruisefare and airfare, and we were thus able to re-book the cruise for a few months later.

5. a night light -- and plug it into #4 powerstrip

We plugged ours in the shaver's point in the bathroom - better place than in the cabin.

We've been on 2 NCL cruises so far and here are the things we did not bring on our 2nd one:

- jackets for DH and DS

- high heels for me

- expensive jewelley for me

We are soon to be going on our 3rd NCL cruise and here is something that we did on the first 2 but will not doing on 3rd:

- go to Bingo (except perhaps for the final jackpot session)

We won good money including the final jackpot on our first cruise but luck wasn't with us on our 2nd cruise and wasted too much money.

We have learned the hard way not to have his and hers bags--all bags should have some his and some hers--then if one is lost, you have something left!! I also put one pair of evening shoes in my carryon. You can always find SOMETHING to wear in the ship store so long as you have shoes!!

Something I've never done before but plan to do this month on my NCL Mediterranean...order room service to pack in ziploc bags as snacks on excursions. Particularly on the all-day excursions, it will be a great way to save a little money and possibly avoid any "digestive disturbances" from eating unfamiliar local foods.

Archived