Tell Me About Half Moon Cay please

dumbdorkyd

There are paved pathways over much of the island, including leading to the barbecue. The barbecue food is surprisingly good, considering how many people they're feeding from a hot, steamy tent. There are long lines for it, but plenty tables to eat at once you get your food. I saw a couple of beach-type wheelchairs, which I suspect were available for rent -- the ones with the really wide wheels that are meant to be used on sand.

yes, it was the pink one, i thought it was number 7, but maybe not. i thought the location was great. it was a ways from the bbq, but the beach didnt really fill up in front of us for quite awhile.

mike

Here's the colors listed in order (according to the HAL color chart). I just wish HAL would also list them by number. It would make things a whole lot easier. But any cabana is a good cabana. :)

1. Taupe

2. Blue

3. Turquoise

4. Orange

5. Sky Blue

6. Purple

7. Peach

8. Pink

9. Eggshell

10. Green

11. Gray

12. Yellow

13. Terracotta

14. Red

15. Violet

Just got off a Eurodam cruise that stopped in Half Moon Cay. My experience is that that cabanas sell out very quickly - you need to go on line and reserve as soon as they are available.

- $249. Includes a handful of sodas, water, some chips and dips. You're pretty much on your own. They don't come fill your ice bucket and certainly don't fetch your food. For that service you have to upgrade to the butler service. Ice is at the food pavilion I guess. I didn't bother, too busy napping in the hammocks.

- The large cabana looks nice, and has its own water slides etc. The problem is that it is smack in the middle of the kids area, so you'll spend your vacation defending your turf to keep other kids from using your attractive slide. Too much drama.

- There are hammocks between the cabanas. These are for public use, but if you're at one of the end units they end up being used only by cabana people.

- You have use of the cabana all day, but the staff starts collecting the cooler, ice, food, cups not long after lunch. I was happy to have it cleared away, others were miffed.

- Waiters came by once in the afternoon, but I wouldn't count on them for drinks. Schlep to the bar for your own.

- Cabanas are at the tree line, so you have some good shade.

- Good snorkle gear is included, but the snorkeling itself isn't very good unless you take a tour.

- A fridge, but it didn't cool much

- Sodas/water. You specify what sodas you want, but they bring you coke.

- small ice bucket that melts immediately.

- Fruit

- 4 floats (very nice)

- shower

- Cusioned chaise lounges on the porch and chairs/tables inside

- misting fan outside, A/C inside.

- Here's the lineup of cabanas (with twinkletoe's help). #1 is closest to the crowds. There are 15 total.

1. Taupe

2. Blue

- public beach access between 2 and 3

3. Turquoise

4. Orange

5. Sky Blue

- food pavilion behind 3, 4, 5

6. Purple

7. Peach

8. Pink

- public access and bathrooms between 8 & 9

9. Eggshell

10. Green (this is the first cabana that I consider to be in the best area)

11. Gray

12. Yellow

13. Terracotta

14. Red

15. Violet

I recall something about having a "Cabana Boy" and other perks when booking though other lines... am I just imagining that???

Tom

I think Carnival still has cabana guys that roam around and get you drinks, but HAL discontinued this practice, at least I think they did. I remember looking at Ziggy's pictures of her cabana and the food from the BBQ. She was on HAL, and she said they went for drinks and food. When we were on HMC in 2007, we ended up booking the butler package for this reason. Not that we're lazy, but we didn't want to have to run back and forth for drinks and food, so we booked the butler package. Probably a smart move on HAL's part...at least with us. I am not sure I would have done the butler package had there been a cabana boy to do the same thing.

Since Carnival doesn't have the option of the butler package, I'd imagine they have cabana boys to get you the drinks you'd like.

Since Carnival doesn't have the option of the butler package, I'd imagine they have cabana boys to get you the drinks you'd like.

We had the Green Cabana #10 the first week of Oct while sailing on Carnival's Fascination. There was no Cabana Boy but they did have drink waiters walking up and down the beach taking and deliverying drink orders all day long and they did stop at our cabana several times to inquire if we needed any drinks. Around noon staff came and asked if we needed fresh towels which was nice. We walked on the path behind our Cabana on the other side of the public bathrooms to get to the buffet to get our lunch and brought it back to our cabana to eat. Carnival's staff didn't remove anything from our cabana until we were ready to leave and our cabana was the last cabana to be vacated that beautiful afternoon. Wish we could have stayed there several days !!:)

There was no Cabana Boy but they did have drink waiters walking up and down the beach taking and deliverying drink orders all day long and they did stop at our cabana several times to inquire if we needed any drinks.

This is what HAL used to offer and in addition to getting the drinks, they'd get food from the BBQ. I imagine HAL discontinued this practice to "encourage" cruisers to purchase the butler upgrade package. It worked for us. lol If there would have been someone to get us just drinks, we probably wouldn't have had the butler package.

HMC is paradise! Glad you enjoyed your day there. I'd have been happy if the ship just circled the island and we got visited it over and over. :)

We had Pink Cabana last Friday on the Eurodam. There were bar waiters everywhere on the beach...our ice was refilled twice and the walk to the BBQ was under 2 minutes. We brought our food back and ate at the Cabana. There was always someone there to see if we needed anything. THere was no need for a butler, plenty of bar waiters walking up and down the beach.

Had a great time at Half Moon Cay. We were on CCL Splendor. Spent a wounderful day at the beach. If you like to snorkle go over the hill to the other side of island. Just a 5 minute walk over small hill to private beach. nobody there. just white sand and lots of fish and rocks and sea fans.

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Half Moon Cay last week, in the Terracotta cabana (#13). Had a wonderful day and the cabana rental was well worth it. Although there were two ships that day (Maasdam and Prinsendam), it wasn't at all crowded. We chose a cabana toward the end of the line in hopes of some privacy and luckily didn't have a single person park in front of us.

We did not order the butler package, but waiters came by several times to bring us drinks and even offered to get us lunch. But we just walked 5 minutes down the path to pick up some food and bring it back to our cabana.

The water was pristine, the beach was beautiful and we enjoyed every second there, not returning to ship until the last tender.

Pure bliss, we'd love to go back!

We were at Half Moon Cay last week, in the Terracotta cabana (#13). Had a wonderful day and the cabana rental was well worth it. Although there were two ships that day (Maasdam and Prinsendam), it wasn't at all crowded. We chose a cabana toward the end of the line in hopes of some privacy and luckily didn't have a single person park in front of us.

We did not order the butler package, but waiters came by several times to bring us drinks and even offered to get us lunch. But we just walked 5 minutes down the path to pick up some food and bring it back to our cabana.

The water was pristine, the beach was beautiful and we enjoyed every second there, not returning to ship until the last tender.

Pure bliss, we'd love to go back!

We were your neighbors that day -- Yellow #12:). The cloudy morning seemed to delay the arrival of the crowds for quite some time. We were on the first tender from our ship, so it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves for a little while. It is wonderful to have a cabana, especially one down at the end. It was the second time I've booked the Yellow. If I have the good fortune to visit HMC again, I'll book a cabana for sure, and the further down the beach, the better! Yes, it was a wonderful day!!

• 2 months later...
there are umbrellas available. But, if you can get a cabana they are welll worth it!

Trying to talk my husband into it...showed him the pics, talked with the high pitched excited voice...we'll see what happens. Plus, I would have to run onto the ship to the office first thing...what are the chances of actually getting one?

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering the same thing. I am leaning towards getting a cabana but I'm afraid to get too excited about it since we are sailing during spring break. I suspect our boat will be full (it looks pretty close right now) and we will be shut out. I wonder how quickly they sell out. I am hoping to be at the pier by 11:30.

I just posted this in another thread..

We were at HMC on Tuesday. It was beautiful beyond words. We also rented a cabana, which was our reason for getting on the ship promptly at 12noon. That said, it looked like some went unrented. They were $225/day all day, and were really nice because I got a little too much sun the day before. We had the peach one. When we arrived, there were snacks and some drinks for us, snorkel gear, towels, and beach mats. They were really nice to have and lay out on. The water is crystal clear and about 3" deep out to about 70 feet. (I think that's how far I walked out.) It was a little cool at first, but I got used to it.

I would NOT do the stingray excursion, as they looked kind of scary, missing tails and their skin looked bad. Also, the service for drinks was way below par for carnival. Many times, we had to track down a server to get a drink.

There are a lot of chickens on the island. Seemed like there were more when we arrived than there were after lunch (J/K). Lunch was a little BBQ that was simple, yet nice.

We got off the ship about 8-830 and there was nobody on the beach. By noon, it was packed!!!! Still plenty of places to play or swim. I took a nap in the hammock next to the cabana.

I think the peach cabana (#7) was located nicely. It had a tree to the side with the hammock, so you could have full sun or shade, depending on where you sat. The next one over (#8) had more trees and hammocks. All of them were nice, though. I would do it again.

We had 6 in our party, but had people we met on the ship come up and hang out for a little while. I believe it you pay for the additional people you get more soda, water, and snacks. For the price, it was not worth it.

i hope this helps...contact the ship and request a beach wheelchair..they have big balloon tires on them and it is easy to push in the sand..i know they have them, because i have seen them on HMC..u may have to rent them but your mom will enjoy the beach so much more..good luck

You know what I was thinking? Well, how many of the passengers even go to CC? So how many of them even know of the presence of the cabanas? On my shore excursion page there was no mention of them.

The only reason I know of them is from reading the boards. And even if people do find out about them, how many have the information we have? Do they know to get on board early and get in line, etc? Or will they mosey over to the desk some time after sail away?

I think we will have no problem getting one.

There are lots of chairs and some hammocks in the shade, so if any of you miss out on the cabanas, you will still have shade on the island. Of course you don't get the chips, float mats, snorkel gear etc..

The further you walk down the beach, away from the tender pier, the less people you will encounter on HMC. We were there in Nov. and found some chairs in the shade where they rent the sailboats (about half way down the beach). We spent some time walking down the beach even further, and there were many chairs lined up, and no people. Even later in the day, there were still many chairs untouched. You will enjoy HMC. It is just as beautiful as everyone has described:D

I'm not sure where you're looking, but when I look at shore excursions for HMC "Cabana Rentals" is one of the choices. But you do make an excellent point - they do have the "limited availability" icon next to the description (actually they have it next to almost everything) - but I bet there's a lot of people that don't know the extremely limited number available and that they go fast - except for the smart people that read CC!

Archived