A Day in Puerto Vallarta- Some Ideas for What to do

lacurtis

We can't go on our cruise due to my DH having double vision and doctor seeing instability in his eye... I am crushed. I spent many nights gathering information about the ports we were going to so I am going to share it here, at least planning the cruise was fun...

I tried to pick some fun options for our family (me, DH, DD (3 year old toddler), Mom, Dad, Aunt and Uncle) with varying interests. Enjoy and have a wonderful cruise!!

Puerto Vallarta

http://www.vallartadiscovery.com/

Las Caletas - catamaran to lovely beach, great margaritas, good lunch, snorkeling, kayaking, nature walk. The ride out and back is really nice and relaxing - about 40+ minutes. 11:30AM from the Cruise Terminal in Marina Vallarta (8 hours- return @ 7:30) $80. http://www.vallartaonline.com/tours/Caletas/

Las Caletas, director John Huston's hideaway until his demise, is located at the tip of the bay of Puerto Vallarta and only accessible by boat. Your tour begins with a ride aboard a launch across the bay to this paradise that is yours for the day. As you disembark, you will notice that there is a collection of small beaches in an idyllic setting complete with shade and lounges. Enjoy a paella lunch and kayak or snorkel. Whatever you choose to do in this world-famous hideaway, with its friendly staff catering to your every need, will be a memory to treasure. Las Caletas is a wonderland where you can relax in hammocks on the beach, snorkel, kayak, take guided nature walks, visit an exclusive spa. Included in the price are access to the Orchidarium, Aviary, Deer Sanctuary, Kayaking, Yoga, Snorkeling, Paella Cooking Lessons, and Guided Nature Walks.

The catamaran ride over and back is very fun, and we saw sea turtles along the way, and I believe sometimes dolphins are spotted too. Once you arrive at the dock area, you then walk a ways on a pathway that passes the eating area, down a couple of steps onto the sand. We always choose to sit right in that immediate beach area nearest the eating area. The sea lion has always performed in the water right in front of that area. Our grandchildren took the hike up the hill behind the restaurant and they had a little monkey up there. The kids have lots of pictures of themselves with the monkey on their shoulder. Also, there are some hammocks, but I didn't see many. The "loungers" are actually like a canvas sling seat on a wooden frame - I think they would be perfect for a nap! At least I had trouble getting up once settled in one!

Once on land, there is an open bar and an excellent buffet for lunch. There is also the option of booking a massage in a curtained hut at the top of the stairs, which I took advantage of, and it was no less than fantastic!! Kayaks and inner tubes are also available so you float around in the beautiful, warm, crystal clear waters quite relaxing and refreshing in this remote jungle area that can only be reached by boat

Krystal Hotel Massage and Pool- for a couples massage- which welcomes cruisers and crew for free day use, no towels included (bring ship towels). Don’t go the long way out to the main drag; take the shortcut down the back street. Go off the gangway, walk to the right around the circular building, then across the square in front of the flea market, then head for the large white wall with a yellow wall behind it, go through the gate at the left end of the white wall, and go down this street to the end, where you will see the “Welcome cruisers to the Krystal resort”. You can see this route from an upper deck on the dockside of the ship. (About 8-10 minute walk from the ship) and hang out at the pool there you can walk from the dock. They have an amazing pool area, including a wonderful children's pool, plus a playground and nice beach. http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html

As you come off the ship, go thru the little market area and you will see a gate leading to a cobblestone street. (not really an alley). You walk down this street about 3 blocks. You will dead-end at a construction site, but then turn left and just a few steps from the street you were on is a gate in the adobe whitewash wall. There were guards there and we told them we were getting a massage at Kystal (but others from the ship just showed those same guards their seapass from the ship and were let in. Then, you make a quick right and left, and you are headed toward the pool area and massages. Just past the construction, turn right and you will see a wide staircase, with pillars on top and a large thatch roof bar area. Up these stairs is the pool area, which was fantastic! The pool is really 3 pools in one, with bridges connecting the 3 areas. In the area we hung out, there were tile chaise lounges built into the pool and you could lie on them, reading a book or whatever, just partially submerged. There were some umbrellas to keep you cool.

The massage area was just a bit farther from the pool area, but there were NO signs visable. As described there is a 3 room cabana, two massage tables in each, I think. Outside there is one spa attendant sitting under a thatch umbrella, so you can walk up to her to cnfirm your reservation. http://www.go2vallarta.com/milleniummassage/

MASSAGES

Therapeutic massage (60 min) 40.00

Therapeutic massage (75 min) 46.00

Four hands massage (60 min) 75.00

Sea Turtles- $47/35 Monday through Saturday at 5:00PM from Marina Vallarta. 3 Hours. This is a magical adventure, for big and little kids alike. The Bay of Banderas is home every year to thousands of Olive Ridley Turtles that were born here, and return to lay their eggs. We begin with a lecture and video on these marvelous sea turtles, and then we patrol and search the beach for hidden eggs. Tracks in the sand left by the nesting mothers the night before leave us unmistakable clues to follow. We are then ready to release the hatchlings that have been being cared for in the nursery. http://www.nuevovallartatours.com/sea-turtle-camp.htm

Sea Turtles with Biologists-We have no commercial tours. you can participate releasing some baby turtles into the ocean with us, as part of a conservation program.

We can meet on that evening, around 6pm to show you the hatchery and release some baby turtles. Due we´re a non-profit organization, we ask for a donation, as contribution to the conservation program. The experience will last 1 hour.

The nesting season have finished for that time, but we will have some babies hatching for that time. However, there is possible to have no baby turtles, because incubation use to take more days than usual, despite temperature is decreasing.

My base is located at Marina Vallarta, in the CasaMagna Marriott hotel. http://www.vallarta-info.com/marina.html

www.vallartanature.org

Archived