Bistro on Five explanation from Celebrity

erms

Below you will find my email to Celebrity regarding Bistro on Five and their response...

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your email.

The waitstaff in our specialty restaurants are not included in the gratuities that we collect from our guests. A portion of the service charge in the specialty restaurants are provided to our waitstaff for gratuities. Through our pre-inaugural sailings we have found that the waitstaff for the Bistro on Five were not receiving gratuities for services.

In an effort to make sure that these exceptional and dedicated employees receive the same compensation as their fellow co-workers, we have established a $5.00 per person service charge for the Bistro on Five.

We thank you for understanding and thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

[THREAD ID:1-71TE4J]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 11/3/2008 02:48:42 PM

To: <captainsclub@celebrity.com>

Subject: Bistro on Five

A rumor is going round that Bistro on Five will now be charging $5 per person, could you please tell me that this in fact is not true and just that a rumor gone wrong.

Thank you

Not coming down on either side of this heated debate, but I wonder what they'd say if you brought your Solstice brochure onboard, and showed them the dining page, which specified which venues have "an additional charge may apply", and definitely doesn't apply to Bistro on Five...:rolleyes:

1. Does this mean that the evening casual dining in the Oceanview Restaurant will be increased to $5?:mad:

2. Will the Aquaspa cafe, Mast Bar and Grill also charge $5 for gratuities?:mad:

3. Why not institute a program like the bar staff have and pool all gratuities and divide them?:mad:

Below you will find my email to Celebrity regarding Bistro on Five and their response...

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your email.

The waitstaff in our specialty restaurants are not included in the gratuities that we collect from our guests. A portion of the service charge in the specialty restaurants are provided to our waitstaff for gratuities. Through our pre-inaugural sailings we have found that the waitstaff for the Bistro on Five were not receiving gratuities for services.

In an effort to make sure that these exceptional and dedicated employees receive the same compensation as their fellow co-workers, we have established a $5.00 per person service charge for the Bistro on Five.

We thank you for understanding and thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

[THREAD ID:1-71TE4J]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 11/3/2008 02:48:42 PM

To: <captainsclub@celebrity.com>

Subject: Bistro on Five

A rumor is going round that Bistro on Five will now be charging $5 per person, could you please tell me that this in fact is not true and just that a rumor gone wrong.

Thank you

Interesting- per Celebrity they dtermined that the staff in Bistro was not rec tips. Question- doesn't the company /ship divide the tip pool among ALL workers ? Are these wait staff SOLELY assigned to Bistro? On my prior cruises I noticed that MDR/buffet/pool/alternative waitstaff were rotated.

Carole

Hmmm, does that imply that Bistro on Five will have table service instead of standing in line and taking the food to a table ourselves? If we sit at a table, order off a menu and then they wait on us I guess I can understand the new charge both for the service and trying to keep the crowds to a minimum for a small venue.

However, if it's like the Aqua spa cafe where I either order the hot dish in line and they later place it on a table for me or I pick up one of the cold dishes and drinks in a type of buffet line, carry the tray and find the table myself, then I think $5.00 is a bit high given the suggested daily gratuity for the room stewards, butlers and main restaurant servers.

I'm on the 11/23 inaugural so I will try out Bistro for $5 even with the $5.00 charge and post after I return how it worked out and if it seems reasonable.

Diana

Em I thought the pre-inaugural trips were still to start - strange to react to this on the basis of the very few service trips that have taken place - I do not think this is the real reason, why are they not being more honest

OP thanks for posting this information. It's surprising that it had to come from a customer writing the cruise line rather than Celebrity or Cruise Critic posting the details since the roll out Solstice has been so energetic and engaging between the two groups that comprise the cruise line and this boards staff.

It's great you actually got a response, and Thanks again for posting it here :)

The response you received was corporate doublespeak. The inaugural sailings haven't even begun. There were some previews in Europe and of course the Bi$tro for Five was crowded. People were curious to sample the very much hyped crepes. They will be curious one time as well to try the Lawn and the Glass show.

The charge is more than just gratuity, otherwise it should be the same as the evening alternate dining in the Oceanview Cafe. Even at 20% a $5 gratuity equates to a $25.00 food bill. FOR MEATLOAF AND POT PIE??, or the same breakfast that is available elsewhere at no charge?? The only unique item here is the crepes, and I would have no problem if they were priced just like the specialty coffee bar and gelateria. I would be fine with a $2 suggested gratuity for the rest of the Bistro's menu.

Hmmm, does that imply that Bistro on Five will have table service instead of standing in line and taking the food to a table ourselves? If we sit at a table, order off a menu and then they wait on us I guess I can understand the new charge both for the service and trying to keep the crowds to a minimum for a small venue.

However, if it's like the Aqua spa cafe where I either order the hot dish in line and they later place it on a table for me or I pick up one of the cold dishes and drinks in a type of buffet line, carry the tray and find the table myself, then I think $5.00 is a bit high given the suggested daily gratuity for the room stewards, butlers and main restaurant servers.

I'm on the 11/23 inaugural so I will try out Bistro for $5 even with the $5.00 charge and post after I return how it worked out and if it seems reasonable.

Diana

Don't look for trays in the buffet line. There aren't any, so now no one can complain that the waitstaff no longer carries your tray.

It's possible that there may be trays but they just weren't there yet. The buffet area was being used for employees when the photos were taken.

In the photos of Solstice that I saw, guests were using the "buffet-sized" plates, as they do in the buffets on RCCL where there are no trays.

Not coming down on either side of this heated debate, but I wonder what they'd say if you brought your Solstice brochure onboard, and showed them the dining page, which specified which venues have "an additional charge may apply", and definitely doesn't apply to Bistro on Five...:rolleyes:

I'm sure there is a clause that says information is deemed accurate at time of printing but subject to change at anytime.

OP thanks for posting this information. It's surprising that it had to come from a customer writing the cruise line rather than Celebrity or Cruise Critic posting the details since the roll out Solstice has been so energetic and engaging between the two groups that comprise the cruise line and this boards staff.

It's great you actually got a response, and Thanks again for posting it here :)

You're welcome. Though it took at least a week for a response I emailed them back on how upset many are and why couldn't they update their promotion of the Solstice regarding the change to this dining venue on their website. Of course by the time they respond back we will have heard from those members here cruising on the Solstice beginning tomorrow.

Today, I received the exact same reply from the exact same person that replied to the OP. It took me about 5-6 days from the time I sent my email to Celebrity to get a response.

My first thought was that there haven't been pre-inaugural sailings yet (as far as I know) for them to really evaluate this. Either way, I'm not buying it. I think they huddled their collective corporate heads together once people started complaining and decided this would be the company line.

Incidentally, I seem to recall that the charge was touted as a way to prevent overcrowding. But, any of you who have been on a RCL Voyager class or larger will realize that those ships carry more people than Solstice, and the seating in Promenade Cafe is no greater than the 40-45 seats that they planned for Solstice. It works just fine there.

Incidentally, I seem to recall that the charge was touted as a way to prevent overcrowding. But, any of you who have been on a RCL Voyager class or larger will realize that those ships carry more people than Solstice, and the seating in Promenade Cafe is no greater than the 40-45 seats that they planned for Solstice. It works just fine there.

That is entirely correct. No overcrowding.

Ok so the Bistro on 5 will charge $5PP cover charge for gratuity, but the casual dinning venue on Celebrity is $2PP and the recommended main DR gratuity is $3.50PP per day, then I would have to assume that the waitstaff at the Bistro must be the best on the ship and best paid as well. Also the waitstaff in the Bistro will have their gratuities automatically charged to the passenger's sea-pass account so they will never get stiffed like so many do in the main DR.:p

Archived