First-time cruiser with a couple of questions: pillows? hangers?

drnojd

I'm a first-time cruiser going on the Carnival Splendor in December. I really appreciate the folks who've put together so many tips--they've been very helpful.

In deciding what I need to bring with me, I have a couple of questions I haven't seen covered on the threads I've looked at.

How easy is it to get extra pillows? I assume they provide two per bed, but I need three pillows to sleep. Do I need to pack my own?

Do they provide enough hangers in the closets? Can you get more?

How reliable are the hair dryers? Should I pack my own just in case?

we had 4 pillows for a king bed,,,,not enough hangers, we packed about 12 extra plastic ones in the netting pouch inside our luggage and used those,,,,then all we did was pack them away again hangers and all!!! Easy :)

ask for another pillow or two,,,,bet you get one :) Holly

First, welcome to the boards. Lots of info here.:)

How easy is it to get extra pillows?

Just ask your cabin steward for more if you don't have enough.

Do they provide enough hangers in the closets? Can you get more?

I've asked for more hangers a few times and presto...they appeared.

How reliable are the hair dryers? Should I pack my own just in case

Definitely take your own. The ones they provide are not very powerful. My travel size one is much better.

Enjoy your planning and your cruise!

Hi there- the staff will bring more hangers if you request it, but I would pack a set of velvet covered hangers available at Wal-mart for any trip- particularly a cruise. These are also called "huggable"hangers and are sold by the millions on TV for good reason. Things don't slide off them (lingerie, spaghetti straps, formal dresses) - they don't leave marks on your knits, they are wafer thin and strong and take up much less room in the closet than both the ships hangers and standard plastic hangers.

If you are a pillow person, you might invest in a smaller version of your own "under-the-head" pillow. I bought a standard down pillow to use on long trips, but I didn't need it on the Conquest. Their bedding was very comfortable. Happy cruising!

There are 4 pillows per king size bed and you can easily get more from your steward. There are plenty of hangers, we've never used them all since there's also lots of shelf and drawer space for non-hanging things, but again your steward can bring you more.

Since the Splendor is brand new, maybe the hair dryers will be better than the ones on the older ships, but if you're picky, bring your own.

With all the extra fees for luggage, I don't think I'd waste valuable suitcase space packing hangers. I've asked for extras from the steward and received them within minutes. I'm sure the neighbors didn't need theirs. ;)

I normally sleep with very large pillows and have had absolutely NO problem sleeping. In fact, I sleep better on cruises than normal, and I'm a "good" sleeper. The bedding is fantastic.

Many people say the hair dryers are weak, but the one we had on Glory would blast your hair dry in minutes. I also wouldn't waste space packing one on a ship that had one, even it if turns out to not be the strongest.

Every cruise I take, I pack less and less and less. Maybe, one day, I'll board with just a carryon!

I took my own pillow, only because I sleep with a CPAP machine.

We asked for more pillows, the steward asked us how many, and we got 4 more for our bed. It was lovely :)

Your steward will also bring more hangers, if necessary. I pack most of our clothes on hangers, so we always have more than enough in the closets.

With all the extra fees for luggage, I don't think I'd waste valuable suitcase space packing hangers. I've asked for extras from the steward and received them within minutes. I'm sure the neighbors didn't need theirs. ;)
I've never needed extras... I'm definitely one of those T-shirt and shorts kind of guys :D

I normally sleep with very large pillows and have had absolutely NO problem sleeping. In fact, I sleep better on cruises than normal, and I'm a "good" sleeper. The bedding is fantastic.
Maybe I'm spoiled by my bed at home, our last couple cruises I haven't found the beds all that comfortable... but the previous ones my DW and I had taken were great. *shrug*

Many people say the hair dryers are weak, but the one we had on Glory would blast your hair dry in minutes. I also wouldn't waste space packing one on a ship that had one, even it if turns out to not be the strongest.
Given that we have to fly, the less we HAVE to pack the better.

Every cruise I take, I pack less and less and less. Maybe, one day, I'll board with just a carryon!

As long as you have a washing machine aboard, you shouldn't have to carry anything more aboard than 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, clean drawers, sunglasses and a smile. :D

*hope my hunny bunny doesn't read that last line, she may start stuffing MY bag with stuff she doesn't need!! :eek::eek:

We like to pack our shirts and pants still on the hangers. That way, when unpacking in the cabin you just lift them out of the bag and put them into the closet. It saves time and is a way to be sure that all of your hanging clothes have hangers!

easier when it's time to repack too :) Took me all of 15 minutes to pack our stuff,,,Holly

We bring a large hangup bag with our clothes already hanging on the hangers. They come out of the bag and hang up very quickly and go back just as quickly at the end of the cruise.

We bought a nice large hang-up bag that has wheels and a handle. DW actually bought it at a thrift shop for $5.

The hair dryer in the room has been good enough for us. There has always been plenty of pillows and they are very comfortable.

Mark

Archived