jewel in 3 days final questions

apax

hi all, I am going to be on the Ncl jewel in 3 days with a toddler and a new born. So suffice it to say I am trying to make last minute packing options.

Do normal suitcases fit under the bed in a minisuite?

Can I plug my iPod into something in a minisuite?

Do the laundry machines accept liquid detergent? If not, do I need hi efficiency powder? This is because I heard there are miele machines?

Is the furniture moveable in the rooms? I would like to slide the side tables and bed over a bit to accomadate a playpen?

Can the kids club put or allow your kid to sleep in the open area in the evenings?

Can I get away with nice jeans at the specialty restaurants? What about nice suede flip flops?

Is there a specific formal night? I am not planning on bringing a dress shirt? Will that be a mistake?

Thank you all. If you have any questions about the jewel when I am back will gladly answer them

I don't have an answer for all your questions but here are some:

On every ship I've been on, normal size suitcases do fit under the bed.

Jeans are not allowed, you could be denied entry but sometimes they don't enforce the rules so you MIGHT get away with it (personnally, I don't recommend going against the rules).

There are one or two "dress up (or not) nights" in which lots of people will wear dressier clothes (jacket for the men, nice pantsuit or cocktail dresses for ladies) but resort casual is fine in every venue, every night (resort casual definition, by NCL, does not include shorts or jeans).

I'll be on the Jewel for my next cruise and I hope you'll post a review when you come back.

dont worry about detergent for the laundry room, you buy a box for 1 dollar that will do 2 loads.....

Dont think the kids club lets kids sleep out in open areas

No Jeans or flipflops in any dining rooms

Plenty of room under the bed for your luggage

Have a great time!!!!;)

We found the kids club to be very accomodating. They have lots of beanbag chairs and have allowed the kids to sleep. This worked best in the afternnoons, they put on a movie and dim the lights. There probably won't be too many kids this time of year and it will be fairly quiet.

The furniture is all pretty lightweight and should move. However a few nightstands are bolted to the wall. I would bring a bedrail.

The washing machines are funyy. Yes they are Miele and not full sized. Everyone puts the soap in the wrong parts and they should only use half as much as well as high efficiency but this does not happen. Therefore it seems you have to do an extra cycle to get out the bubbles.

Have fun. The kids buffet area on the Jewel is one of the best.

hi all, I am going to be on the Ncl jewel in 3 days with a toddler and a new born. So suffice it to say I am trying to make last minute packing options.

Do the laundry machines accept liquid detergent? If not, do I need hi efficiency powder? This is because I heard there are miele machines?

Is the furniture moveable in the rooms? I would like to slide the side tables and bed over a bit to accomadate a playpen?

Can the kids club put or allow your kid to sleep in the open area in the evenings?

Can I get away with nice jeans at the specialty restaurants? What about nice suede flip flops?

Is there a specific formal night? I am not planning on bringing a dress shirt? Will that be a mistake?

Thank you all. If you have any questions about the jewel when I am back will gladly answer them

There are several of your questions I can't answer, but..

yes, normal suitcases will fit under the bed. And yes, much of the furniture is moveable, including the bed. We had them remove a table and chair from our room (they weren't bolted down) to make more room for my wheelchair, and they were quite accommodating.

You might want to bring a dress shirt. The people going to the specialty restaurants tend to dress up even more than they do on the "dressy" nights -- at least that was the case on our cruise.

There is only one electric outlet in the room (and one plug in the bathroom designated for a shaver)...so if you're wanting to plug stuff in, bring a power strip! Of all the things people list here to pack, that's the one thing I wouldn't do without. We plugged in our cameras, cell phone, the power chair....and wouldn't have managed without it!

As for laundry -- I'm on vacation. I can do laundry at home. We let them do it ($20 for "wash and fold", $25 for "wash, fold, and/or iron"). But I see you have a baby, so maybe you'll have lots more?

Don't have all the answers but some: yes, you can re-arrange the furn. just ask the cabin steward to help you.

Don't know about liquid soap but you can buy Tide for a $1.00. It does 2 loads

Yes, the luggage will fit under the beds.

I believe the dress code now allows jeans after 6pm but you will find most dress a little more formal in the specialty dining rooms. This doesn't mean suits, cocktail dresses, etc, but I am not sure about jeans.

Formal optional is just that, do what you want..You can go big time or just casual, that is what freestyle is all about...

Nita

dont worry about detergent for the laundry room, you buy a box for 1 dollar that will do 2 loads.....

Dont think the kids club lets kids sleep out in open areas

No Jeans or flipflops in any dining rooms

Plenty of room under the bed for your luggage

Have a great time!!!!;)

That must be a diffrerent NCL Jewel to the one we have been on recently, NCL rules were no jeans or flipflops in the Tsars Palace dining room but jeans OK in all the others, whatever night. No shorts/swimsuits in the restaurants any night.

Having said all that most folk in the specialty restaurants called Le Bistro and Cagneys dressed up, and not in the others.

Don't ask me why, not an NCl rule, thats just how it was.

And it was like that on Gem and Pearl.

Griller, you are absolutely right. NCL changed their dining room policy over a year ago to allow jeans in the dining rooms (Except for one dining room per ship that is designated for no jeans. On the Pearl, as you noted, that is the Tsar's Palace.)

We were on the Pearl for Thanksgiving last year and were able to wear neat jeans with no problems.

Just came off the Jewel. Yes, suitcases will fit under the beds. There are outlets for your iPod, but I would consider bringing an extension cord or strip. Furniture is almost all moveable. There are "Dress up if you want" nights, but no "formal nights". And here is a direct quote from the Freeestyle Daily on jeans: "You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual (including jeans) is welcome in all of our restaurants, except Tsar's, our designated "dress-up" Restaurant after 5:00pm. Please note that tank tops and shorts are not allowed in any restaurant after 5:00pm except for the Garden Cafe." We saw lots of flip flops in the restaurants.

re: IPOD - if you are talking about a charger, no problem. If you are talking about something to play the sound through. NO, there is nothing available. Some of the TVs do have RCA outlets in the front if you have the right adapter.

If you decide to bring your own detergent, I would think twice about liquid vs dry unless you have something that is very secure. Could be really messy in your suitcase. Can not take liquid through the the airport of course.

Hope you have one of the small playpens. It will be tight.

See if any of the notes in the link below will help. Enjoy!

For washing I have bought the Purex "tablets" (wisk also makes them) - kind of like a large laundrey "pill." These work great and as they are pre-measured you don't have to worry about too much or the mess of saving half. You can pick these up in the grocery store. Just put as many as you think you will need in a baggy and you are ready to go.

For washing I have bought the Purex "tablets" (wisk also makes them) - kind of like a large laundrey "pill." These work great and as they are pre-measured you don't have to worry about too much or the mess of saving half. You can pick these up in the grocery store. Just put as many as you think you will need in a baggy and you are ready to go. Also you may want to take some packets of woolight for hand washing in the sink - these also work great.

dalgirl, I know that this must be an odd question but I need to know where in this world one can but Wisk tablets. For people with mobility issues it would be a blessing.

I live in Toronto, Canada and a few years ago they had detergent in this form. I loved it but they stopped making it. Having friends and family in many places, I would go out of my way to get some.

Thank you for the information.

Fran

dalgirl, I know that this must be an odd question but I need to know where in this world one can but Wisk tablets. For people with mobility issues it would be a blessing.

I live in Toronto, Canada and a few years ago they had detergent in this form. I loved it but they stopped making it. Having friends and family in many places, I would go out of my way to get some.

Fran

I found this online.. does not look like they still make them?

http://www.unilever800.com/wisk_faq/answer.asp?ID=20&Counter=1&When=6/9/2008

Fran

We order WashEZE online (from campingworld.com). It comes in a small package with enough individually wrapped for 10 loads. It's a "dryer sheet" - just throw it in and it has detergent inside. Then when you switch it to the dryer, keep in the sheet in and it's a dryer sheet. This stuff is fantastic!

Wow this forum is the best. I have been reading it since I booked our cruise in January. I have read soo much that I honestly don't know what is true anymore. I APPRECIATE all your quick feedback.

I am in the process of rearranging our luggage to make it 2 suitcases, as I take it (2 suitcases) WILL fit under the bed.

I will pick up some laundry detergant, more so that I can wash some baby stains in my own sink...hehe

I realize the value of this forum to people like me, So if anyone has some questions they would like answered about the jewel either pre-cruise or post cruise send it to me now and I can look it up on the boat. I will do my best to write a post cruise review.

Thanks again

Apax

Hi there, thanks for your advice. How old were your kids when you went? The big concern we have is that our kids sleep at 7pm. They usually sleep in playpens. Would they allow them to sleep in the playpens in the kids club? What about during nap time. My daughter naps from 1-4. Would they accomadate her during that time. I am fine putting them in the room together, but this would be a huge convenience factor.

Thanks

I have found that at Target in the section that has the travel size products, they have liquid laundry detergent for 99 cents a load.

I just got samples at a restaurant hotel show of Purex. The tablets used to be so great, I had run across them at KMart a few years back on the clearance and bought like ten boxes so have a few left!! I also know that there have been people who have gone to their local laundromat as they can get the small boxes of detergent.

Have a great cruise!!

janymac:p

You would not have playpens in kids club. They must be two years old to go here.

remember to bring sippy cups and some dishwashing detergent.

Bring zip lock bags as you will need to bring some snacks off ship as you do not know what other countries offer for tiny tummies.

We brought two single strollers. I have done a double but it is hard to get on the elevators. Sometimes we wanted to go different spots.

Please - exactly how old are your kids?

They must be over 6 months to be able to cruise, and they need to be over 2 years old to be able to go to kids club.

The kids clubs are not open ALL day - they close at lunch and dinner times.

You did mention "new born" so please be aware that NCL will NOT board your new born if he/she is under 6 months old.

Yes Nadeki is right. Kids club does not close during the day now with 2.0. As for kids ages. my son will be 7 months and daughter will be 2.6 yrs old.

Don't worry to the poster who is concerned about my kids ages. I did most of the research 8 months ago before my newborn was even born.

Thanks again for the feedback

The only concern that is on my mind now is the embarkation/disembarkation.

our TA told us we cannot board until 12 noon. Is it chaos at the pier? will we regret showing up early with the kids? we are planning on not getting our bags till like 5pm, so can we request our room early as our kids nap?

on leaving the boat, should we pack a day bag? when will they take all our bags? is it the night before?

leaving on the plane tonight whoopee!

They will take your bags the night before. Plan on having all your stuff in the bottom of the stroller.

It will be crowded no matter when you get to the pier. The first day you will wonder why you have done this but the second day you will be so relaxed.

The muster drill is tough but keep smiling! WIth so few kids on board you will have a great time and the kids club staff on The Jewel is great

Archived