Segway Tour of Antigua

MerryBee

Just returned from Celebrity Summit, our family (Mom, Dad, two teenagers)did the Segway Tour on 3/17, it was awesome! The guides/segway instructors were wonderful and informative, the scenery was great. They took pictures and made a show which they have already emailed to us. We thouroghly enjoyed this excursion!

Hey Hey there, Txfamilycruisers. :-)

We too just got off the Celebrity Summit and took this tour. I would highly recommend it. There were four in our family (mother, father, and two daughters in their early 20's). Our tour consisted of eight people in total.

They start you off with a video on safety and what not to do on one. Then you go out to their small area where they walk you through each step and make sure that everyone is comfortable on their segway before heading out. You travel on different terraines and a bit of the country side and beaches. As Txfamilycruisers said, they will be taking pictures the whole way and get it sent to you by email. We got off our ship on Saturday and already have our video.

I'd highly recommend this tour to anyone. It's a great way to see parts of Antigua.

Cathy

• 5 weeks later...

Returned from the Ruby Princess recently and prebooked the tour online. Was a little nervous at first but I have to say it was my favorite thing from our whole trip. The Segway tour was just fantastic and next time I go on a cruise am going to look to see where I can do this again. Recommend this highly and would do it in a heartbeat again!

We did the Segway tour also, and the people couldn't have been nicer. We really enjoyed it until................ the Segway made a sudden movement and my husband fell off and broke his leg. Our cruise was ruined and we incurred over a thousand dollars in emergency medical expenses and the cost of changing our airline ticket to put him in first class so that he could keep his leg elevated. (Still waiting to find out if our trip insurance is going to cover this. ALWAYS buy trip insurance -- but that's another thread.) Another person in our group fell backwards also, but landed in sand and was uninjured. I'm not telling you NOT to do the Segway tour, but do be aware that as with any motorized vehicle there are risks not to be taken lightly. As part of the training we did watch a video of the risks, were given helmets and elbow pads, and completed a practice session before heading out. The Segways are fun and after awhile you become so comfortable that you forget the potential dangers. One of the tour guides admitted to us that someone falls every day.

We had one guy out of our group of 16 that fell twice but I have to say that he was very reckless and was pushing the limits of his skill on the Segway. He, like the rest of us, was a first timer but was trying (I think) to impress the folks he came with from a hotel. Our guide says they do have trouble with groups getting out of hand and trying semi-extreme stunts on the machine.

If you just go and stay within your limits you will have no problems and have a blast. By the end of the tour you will be doing things you would never have imagined on the Segway when starting out a couple of hours earlier.

Edited by 65Cardinal

The tricky part is getting off and on but none of us had a problem after doing it several times. I don't think we hit any patches of soft/deep sand on our tour.

We still totally endorse the tour and hope to do a different Segway tour when in Antigua next February.

My husband and I booked with Segway of Antigua while on the Caribbean Princess in April. The cost includes the cab ride to their shop -- a person meets you at the pier, and directs you to a cab, which brings you to the shop and you go from there. It is WELL WORTH IT!! A fantastic experience and we will do it again.

Hi. We just found "Segways of Antigua" online. Has anyone ever toured with them? Is their shop within walking distance of the pier?

Don't miss out on this great opportunity.

Thanks, we will consider this one. My wife and I did the segway tour in Nassau in 07 and loved it. Though learning and riding the Segway was the fun part. The tour was only so-so. I would look forward to this again if there is some good sites and info. Riding on the beach sounds like fun. BTW, my wife and I were both 75-100 lbs heavier in this pic.:D

segway.jpg

OK, finally got through early this morning. Spoke with Juliette and she emailed me the manual form within the hour. We are all booked and can hardly wait until March. :D

You will be there a month or so before us, please come back to this thread and let us know how it went. I've tagged this thread to get a notice when replies are posted.

Thanks, we will consider this one. My wife and I did the segway tour in Nassau in 07 and loved it. Though learning and riding the Segway was the fun part. The tour was only so-so. I would look forward to this again if there is some good sites and info. Riding on the beach sounds like fun. BTW, my wife and I were both 75-100 lbs heavier in this pic.:D

That's a great photo - love the tree behind you.

• 3 weeks later...

We're going to do the Segway tour. Thanks everyone for the information! It sounds like a lot of fun and a neat way to see the sights.

We did Segways in Epcot in Disney World a few years back and that was a really a lot of fun!

Are the tours 2 straight hours of driving, or are there regular stops to take photos (and sit down for a few minutes)?

On the Conquerors Fort tour..5 mins Minibus to their office for a 5 minute safety video and sign waiver. 10 mins drive to beach. Get kitted out. Driving lessons (10-15 mins depending on how many and how good you are!). So thats a good 1/2 hr gone. After that there are about 3 or 4 short breaks (no more than 5 mins) and one longer one of about 10 mins at the fort where you get a drink. You will then be told you can go and 'do what you want'. This was the only downer for us as this session literally lasted 2 minutes! Back to the beach for a free drink with the guides, then minibus back to the ship (unless you want to stay at the beach).

Simon

BTW, image.php?u=194239&dateline=1258962709 sddsddean, totally off-topic, but your ID photo is the coolest ever. "Thunderbirds" had a second life in Canada back in the early 1990s when the episodes were rebroadcast by a children's cable channel. Our then-3-year-old loved the shows, so much so that I ended up painting his bedroom with a Thunderbird theme. I'm no Picasso, but he loved 'em. He's left for university now, but the Thunderbirds remain behind...

t2.jpgt3.jpgt5.jpg

Edited by Pepperwood

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend this tour! :)My husband and I went this past April and it was so fun we can't wait to do segway somewhere else because we're addicted! The staff is great, helpful and fun. Nice way to see some sights and bond with the other segway folks. One of the best things we've ever done on a cruise!:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

husband and I recently took this tour in Antigua when our Princess cruise docked. I have to say it was by far one of the best tours we have ever done. Juliette and her staff were very attentive and safety minded. We had a bad experience on a previous Segway tour though the ship in Bermuda, mainly because we were not given complete instructions on how to operate them. Segway Antigua was less expensive and much better run. We were off the beaten track with very little traffic. We had scheduled breaks with fruit refreshments. There was a beach and a restaurant there we could have enjoyed. However we had other excursion reservations for the afternoon which Juliette promptly drove us back to the ship in her own car so we would not miss our excursion. When we do it again, because I'm sure we will, we will definitely plan on spending time at the beach before returning to the ship. We were also surprised with a complimentary email containing photos taken, about 2 weeks after we had returned.