Dawn Virus 11/2/08 sailing

starwood401

The reason that type O is far more likely to get the virus is because there are more type O's in the population. ( Higher ratio to any other blood type)

No, that is incorrect. You may have missed my earlier post that gives the correct reason:

Yes, according to the technical fact sheet about Norovirus on the CDC site:

"Recent evidence also suggests that susceptibility to infection may be genetically determined, with people of blood group O being at greatest risk for severe infection."

i.e. there are genetic determinants that make people with blood group O more susceptible. Not just raw counts of infections.

I came down with Noro a day after I got off a Disney cruise, and flew home.

I was so sick, that I was down for the count from Friday till Monday, and felt like I had the crap kicked out of me.

I can't even IMAGINE what it would have been like experiencing this on a ship. :eek:

Its no picnic MrPete. We left on our cruise on Sunday, woke up sick on Wed, flew home on Sunday and was sick until the following Sunday. Yup, it knocks the crap out of you completely.

I opened the curtain the morning we reached Barbados and that was the end for us. Never did get to see the port I really wanted to see.

Nothing worst than being on a ship in PR waiting to go to the airport and wondering if they will a) let you on, b) will you get sick during the flight and c) will we ever get the hell home.

• 3 months later...

I want to thank all of you for your info, experience, and your sympathy. i've been looking to book another cruise on NCL, but i can't find a "good deal". I need a cruise that leaves on a Sunday or is in port on Sunday - I go to Mass - so i can't be at sea - I need to book NCL to use up a deposit - has anyone seen a deal?? i want the cruise to end in NYC too, yes i want my cake and eat it too. _ the last part - NYC is my husband's request.

thanks

Starwood401:)

I agree with the health-care posters. Soap and water...and often.

My daughter has had a sensitivity to any antibacterial product since she was a baby. She experiences a red rash that burns very badly if she comes into contact with any. Her skin gets scaly and peels off. We are very careful because most products have some kind of a antibacterial in them. We have to notify the ship before she sails. She carries a note from the doctor as well as a bar of soap to wash her hands anywhere she goes. She is a avid hand washer, especially at school and on the ships.

I have been on cruise lines that don't use any products and there seems to less incidents of Noro throughout the years.

Just a thought..Maybe it is because when people use those products, they feel like they don't need to wash their hands??

I agree with a previous poster that said after they serve themselves they go wash thier hands. I did it everytime, after using the same utensils and ketchup and pushing the water/ice buttons. We talked with a women and she said her husband was layed up in bed the first night, obvioulsy bringing it on the ship with him.

I am sure the thousands of people that swarm Miami the night before a cruise is a great way to spread it around all of the hotels.

Wash your hands and use papertowels to open the doors, push the elevator button with your elbow. I even washed my keycard a couple of times a day. You can never be too careful, especially around dinner time near the pools. People are so drunk they dont even know they arent washing their hands.

Archived