Missing Wedding Port...ARGH....

Pug3636

So the people over on the CC RCCL board have me stressed out. I guess Labadee is closed right now due to a labor disagreement. They are talking about all of the reasons why ports are missed and saying how risky it is to plan a wedding during at a port during a cruise. I guess I knew there is always a chance a port will be missed but they are making it sound like a regular occurance. Does anyone know how often a port is actually missed?

So the people over on the CC RCCL board have me stressed out. I guess Labadee is closed right now due to a labor disagreement. They are talking about all of the reasons why ports are missed and saying how risky it is to plan a wedding during at a port during a cruise. I guess I knew there is always a chance a port will be missed but they are making it sound like a regular occurance. Does anyone know how often a port is actually missed?

Depends, which port are you thinking of getting married in and what month?

I wouldn't stress. It always "makes news" when a port is missed, but think of how many times itineraries run right on schedule. It is kind of like the feeling you get that air travel is unsafe after hearing about a plane crash. but when you think of how many flights occur everyday and how many do NOT crash, you realize that it isn't that common. (I realize that there are many more missed ports than plane crashes, but you get my point). I don't know when your wedding is, but just do what you can to avoid the chance of missing a port. Our wedding is in April, so we won't have to worry about hurricanes. our wedding port is a non-tendered port, so we don't have to worry about that being an issue. There is always the chance that something could happen, like medical emergencies or mechanical problems, but it is unlikely. Anytime you plan a big event there is the chance something could happen. Even if you have a traditional wedding, the venue could burn down or go out of business. There are just no guarantees in life (except death):D I wouldn't sweat it.

It seems you have done all you can to lessen the odds of missing your port. We are getting legally married ahead of time as well, so no matter what, we will be married by the time we return from that cruise!! (actually before we leave, but no one will know that;)). We will also get a full refund from our WC if we miss the port too. So although it would be devastating if we missed it, we have done all we could to have everything be okay should this happen.

I really hope we all make our ports and the cruise gods are with us!!! My family asked what our backup plan is and there really isn't one besides making it legal at home when we return. Hopefully that isn't an issue!

You'll be fine.

Typically the ports that are missed are the tendering ports during hurricane season and any port during hurricane season.

February is not hurricane season.

We took a so carib cruise last January (St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua) and the weather was wonderful!!!

If you are really worried, then google the weather for Jamaica in February.

We were just married last week in port on Grand Cayman... I was so worried as it is a tender port, and then Hurricane Paloma had to come out and say hi... But all worked out and we had a beautiful wedding. I will post pics soon. Don't worry, as one of my people said, as long as you have enough good carma points stocked up, all will be fine :)

I'm glad everything went well with your Grand Cayman wedding! Congratulations & I look forward to seeing your pics! And yes, I should have a positive balance in the good karma bank :) so my fingers are crossed! Thanks again everyone for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I'm happy to report i'm headache free tonight.

We married on Grand Cayman this year too...back in February .....it really was the most beautiful day, and our wedding planner on the island advised us that this is one of the "safest" times to get married in the Caribbean, weather wise (though nothing can be guarenteed of course).

If it helps, we always had a plan B, for just in case we did not make it ...just having one of these was an enormous stress buster in itself...of course you don't want to have to put it into action, but if you have one you kind of feel all will not be lost should you be unlucky and miss your port........like you kinda might without.

Our plan was to fly out and do the wedding a few months later instead (most things were completely postponable as they are used to this issue with cruise ship weddings on GC). I looked at it as a win/win situation (that helps too !)..if we didn't make the original date, I was going to be having another holiday !!!.....but you may decide on a different plan B entirely of course to what we decided on.

Getting a sense of perspective helped too......missing the port wasn't the worst thing that could have happened .....my groom jilting me at the altar, a close relative dying close to the date, etc... these are the worse things that can happen !!!!!...not the possibility of having to shift the date ...sure it would have been disappointing, but NOT devastating !!! There is a marked difference if you think about it.

Stick to your plans, and make a plan B you would find both appealing and suitable......dates don't matter..... only your family, your husband to be and being happy for the rest of your life !

Wishing you good luck for your big day ...and one thing is certain - that it will be your very special day, whenever it happens !

We were just married last week in port on Grand Cayman... I was so worried as it is a tender port, and then Hurricane Paloma had to come out and say hi... But all worked out and we had a beautiful wedding. I will post pics soon. Don't worry, as one of my people said, as long as you have enough good carma points stocked up, all will be fine :)

I forgot to say CONRATULATIONS !!!!... and so glad you had a wonderful wedding on GC too ! :)

We married on Grand Cayman this year too...back in February .....it really was the most beautiful day, and our wedding planner on the island advised us that this is one of the "safest" times to get married in the Caribbean, weather wise (though nothing can be guarenteed of course).

If it helps, we always had a plan B, for just in case we did not make it ...just having one of these was an enormous stress buster in itself...of course you don't want to have to put it into action, but if you have one you kind of feel all will not be lost should you be unlucky and miss your port........like you kinda might without.

Our plan was to fly out and do the wedding a few months later instead (most things were completely postponable as they are used to this issue with cruise ship weddings on GC). I looked at it as a win/win situation (that helps too !)..if we didn't make the original date, I was going to be having another holiday !!!.....but you may decide on a different plan B entirely of course to what we decided on.

Getting a sense of perspective helped too......missing the port wasn't the worst thing that could have happened .....my groom jilting me at the altar, a close relative dying close to the date, etc... these are the worse things that can happen !!!!!...not the possibility of having to shift the date ...sure it would have been disappointing, but NOT devastating !!! There is a marked difference if you think about it.

Stick to your plans, and make a plan B you would find both appealing and suitable......dates don't matter..... only your family, your husband to be and being happy for the rest of your life !

Wishing you good luck for your big day ...and one thing is certain - that it will be your very special day, whenever it happens !

I love your attitude and your way of thinking! :)

Archived