Valley Church Beach - what's it got?

John&John

don't walk from darkwood beach to valley church beach, I did it a few days ago...it's not that fun of a walk on the road. When you get on the #22 bus in St John's just ask the bus driver to let you off at valley church beach.

Are there chairs for rent on Valley Church Beach? Also, are there taxis waiting at the beach to take you back to your ship? I noticed on Royal Caribbean's shore excursion list for Antigua, Valley Church Beach is a stop on one of the snorkeling excursions.

Lost Joseph's card......sorry :(

Chair rentals were $5 USD each for the day.......Elvis did not charge us for them however maybe because we ate and drank enough for him to expense the chairs?? Not sure...

I don't ever remember seeing a bus let alone a bus stop and would be kinda scared of missing it and or not getting back to the the ship. Plus the walk in to the beach wouldn't be all that great :(

No taxis waiting for you BUT Joseph dropped us off and asked us what time he should be there to pick us up, we paid him for the taxi there and back when we returned to the ship...

I LOVE that Picture and can just see myself back there :)

We just got back, the beach is amazing!!! Elvis is great and the food was awesome! We had the best coconut shrimp platter! Cold beers were $3! We used a prearranged driver I had scheduled ahead of time. I can't wait to go back in Jan.!!!:)

I agree - this beach is amazing! Beautiful water - not crystal clear, kind of milky - but the most amazing shade of blue!

We took the public bus to the beach - the driver could not have been nicer - we got off the bus with some ladies who work as vendors on the beach - selling trinkets and such - the driver told them to take care of us - they walked with us to the beach and were very friendly - no hard sales pitch - although later in the day I did buy an anklet from one of them for $5.

We rented chairs for $4 each and had them placed under a palm tree - didn't see anyone with an umbrella but there was plenty of shade to share - Elvis and everyone who worked at the restaurant and bar were very nice - I told Elvis he was famous on Cruise Critic - he loved that! We just drank - didn't eat anything but everyone who we talked to loved the food - drinks and food were reasonably priced - I tried the BBC drink - YUM!

When we arrived - there were maybe 10 people on the beach - all from the Caribbean Princess as we were. Over the course of the day, some people came and went as part of tours - but I don't think there were more than 25 people there at any one time.

They are clearing some land high up on the hill overlooking the beach. The bartender told us someone is planning a new restaurant up there.

When we were ready to catch the bus -we walked back up to the road. Our driver in the morning said the buses ran every 30 minutes or so. As soon as we got to the road - one of the tour vans that was leaving the beach drove up and said the bartender told him we were going back to the pier as was everyone else on the van and offered us a ride! The driver chatted the whole way back with my DH who was sitting up front and I made some new friends from the ship. We gave the driver some money at the end - he was really surprised - he was just being nice as was everyone we met on Antigua.

Would definitely go back to Valley Church Beach....:D

• 4 months later...

DH and I have our own gear and like to pick two or three islands for our snorkel stops instead of tours. I have read about Valley Church beach being beautiful but so far don't see anthing about snorkeling - someone did say the water was milky so I'm guessing snorkeling is not good -- anyone know for sure?

I've heard that Long Bay Beach is good but not great for snorkeling - so maybe Antigua will not be a snorkel island - am I right or is there a great snorkeling beach?

Thanks folks - I love these boards.

Lisa

This beach looks perfect for us! Beautiful. Not too crowded. Not so far from the ship. Washrooms. A restaurant with good food and cheap beers. Sold! Antigua is decided (I think. LOL)

Now... ssssshhh... stop telling more people how great it is or it'll get too packed! ;)

I am so happy to hear that it did not bother you-the milky thing.I am planning to go in November.Let's keep it quiet we don't want it too crowded.LOL

Did you eat at the restaurant there?I want to thank you for answering so quickly...I appreciate it.

Nancy

NOt sure why it was milky, however it is now on my list at number 1 of my favorite beches. This was the only one we went to on this trip to Antigua :cool:

NOt sure why it was milky, however it is now on my list at number 1 of my favorite beches. This was the only one we went to on this trip to Antigua :cool:

Do you know if the weather had been poor before you were there? Sometimes the visibility of the water can be effected by wind, rain and/or runoff. Since it's not a mountainous island, I doubt the later, but summer storms can effect visibility, even in places that are usually crystal clear.

Funny though that I've heard the same comments about Jolly beach (which is close, correct?) Maybe smething to do with the bottom, or currents....

Cloudy/milky water isn't great for diving or snorkeling, but for just a beach day with some swimming, it's not a big deal to me.... but we can all "pretend" that it's a horrible thing that ruins the beach (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) so not too many people go there ;) :cool:

yes yes you are sooo right.It is a terrible thing.I say we boycott and no one go there-------lol:eek:

Do you know if the weather had been poor before you were there? Sometimes the visibility of the water can be effected by wind, rain and/or runoff. Since it's not a mountainous island, I doubt the later, but summer storms can effect visibility, even in places that are usually crystal clear.

Funny though that I've heard the same comments about Jolly beach (which is close, correct?) Maybe smething to do with the bottom, or currents....

Cloudy/milky water isn't great for diving or snorkeling, but for just a beach day with some swimming, it's not a big deal to me.... but we can all "pretend" that it's a horrible thing that ruins the beach (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) so not too many people go there ;) :cool:

I am so happy to hear that it did not bother you-the milky thing.I am planning to go in November.Let's keep it quiet we don't want it too crowded.LOL

Did you eat at the restaurant there?I want to thank you for answering so quickly...I appreciate it.

Nancy

We did eat at teh Restaurant there. It is called the nest. My DW had the bbq chicken and I had the shrimp. It was the best.

Take care and have a wonderful trip :cool:

Lost Joseph's card......sorry :(

Chair rentals were $5 USD each for the day.......Elvis did not charge us for them however maybe because we ate and drank enough for him to expense the chairs?? Not sure...

quincytoo, can I get you to elaborate on your comment re the bathrooms being "rustic?" Are we talking outhouse "rustic?"

Janette

While DW and I were there it rained a little bit, however that was warm also. We got there around 10:00 and there were proably only 10 people on the bach when we got there. After a few hours more people showed up and at the most there were probably 30 people on the entire beach. This is a must do beach again on another trip to Antigua. :cool:

I'm still looking for a beach in Antiqua when we go on AOS next week!!! This sounds perfect. I haven't seen an answer on 'how long does it take to get from ship to Valley Church?'

DW and I took the public bus form the port area. We walked out of the port and down market street to the main bus area. After that it took about 20-25 minutes, on the bus. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still looking for a beach in Antiqua when we go on AOS next week!!! This sounds perfect. I haven't seen an answer on 'how long does it take to get from ship to Valley Church?'

ohhh great ill be looking forward to your review...im sailing in november:)

DW and I took the public bus form the port area. We walked out of the port and down market street to the main bus area. After that it took about 20-25 minutes, on the bus. :cool:

...and the bus only cost us $1.50 p/p!!! The bar/restaurant at Valley Church is wonderful! We had an excellent lunch there (coconut shrimp the size of your fist!) and the world's best rum punches. This was absolutely our favorite beach of the whole itinerary. Not good for snorkeling but the beach is devine and the water color is unmatched. But, let's make this wonderful find our little secret, 'kay? :o