Valley Church Beach - what's it got?

John&John

I think this beach looks amazing, wondering if we could do a taxi to Nelsons Dockyard in the am for a while and then head to Valley Church beach. If so what would this cost for two (taxi to Nelsons, taxi to Valley Church and taxi back to port)?

• 4 weeks later...
me too! sounds wonderful, wondering about the snorkeling too!! and how long it takes by cab to get there?? thanks, cindy.

When we were there the water was "milky" from tiny tiny pieces of shells. So snorkling would not have been good. In fact you could not even see your own feet...lol. But for swimming and looking for shells it was awesome!!

Were the shells very big? I hope to find a nice conch one! Did you take the bus out there? Did you feel safe getting to the bus stop? Thanks

No the shells that I found were all little, you never know though.

Yes we took the bus. We felt safe, just a few taxi drivers wanted to know if we wanted to go on a tour. Just say no, and don't tell them you are taking the bus (like my husband did) , they laugh. Just say you are "walking around".

Were the shells very big? I hope to find a nice conch one! Did you take the bus out there? Did you feel safe getting to the bus stop? Thanks

We were at Valley Church Beach in January and my traveling buddy found a giant conch shell right in the middle of the beach as we were arranging our lawn chairs! It seemed to be the only one on the beach. There is an area to the far right (if you are facing ocean) by the hillside with rocks that has tons of small shells. It was a foot deep with shells:D

Debr

Well, it sounds like everyone loves this beach. I'm sorry we didn't get to go there, or Antigua at all. (We were on the Victory that dropped Antigua for St. Maarten) Not that we didn't love St. Maarten! We did. I wish Carnival had dropped St. Lucia instead of Antigua. St. Lucia beaches were ugly and the island didn't impress us at all. Looks like no comparison there. :(

We took the bus in December and felt totally safe. In fact, it totally added to the experience. I loved being on the bus with the locals. My husband is always skeptical about these things and would, initially, rather have paid for a taxi, but by the time we got there he was bragging to all the others on the beach that we got there for $1.50 (they all paid $20+). It was an awesome beach and although we usually like to try something new each time we go to an island, it would be hard not to go back!

• 1 year later...

We went again in February of this year and it was still bus #22. The first time we went, as soon as we walked into the bus area some of the bus drivers who were standing outside of their buses took one look at us and said, "You going to the beach? That bus right over there!":)

This beach seems heavenly as we're hoping to avoid masses of people. Will be in Antigua in mid December and want to know if anyone has gone out to Valley Church beach lately and if you still take bus #22 out and back?

Will VCB be open on a Sunday we will be there Nov. 2011 of course the beach will be there but will the bar/restaurant be open and will there be chairs to rent on a Sunday?

We were there on a Sunday last February and the bar/restaurant was indeed open for business. Chair/umbrella rentals were also available.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

We were there on a Sunday last February and the bar/restaurant was indeed open for business. Chair/umbrella rentals were also available.

Thanks for your quick reply we had heard from others on our roll call that they were there on a Sunday and it was not open, by the way we will on the first sailing out of Bayonne on the Celebrity Silhouette 11/06/11

Thanks for your quick reply we had heard from others on our roll call that they were there on a Sunday and it was not open, by the way we will on the first sailing out of Bayonne on the Celebrity Silhouette 11/06/11

I'm not sure how recent they visited Valley Church Beach or what time of year they were there. It's become quite popular recently and more crowded than in the past.

I'm not sure how recent they visited Valley Church Beach or what time of year they were there. It's become quite popular recently and more crowded than in the past.

I believe it was Nov. 2010 they were on the Explorer of the Seas.

It sounds like a beautiful beach. We are interested in a tour of the island that includes an hour or two at a beach at the end of the tour. Do any of the tour guides include this beach?

Many tour guides will customize a tour to include a stop at a beach of your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the impression that everybody is now going to this beach. I was looking for a quiet, uncrowded one and had thought this would be it - not any longer.

Any other suggestions? I don't need facilities, just peacefulness.

I get the impression that everybody is now going to this beach. I was looking for a quiet, uncrowded one and had thought this would be it - not any longer.

Any other suggestions? I don't need facilities, just peacefulness.

How crowded it will be really depends on how many ships are in port when you visit. If there is only one ship in port it shouldn't be very crowded at all. Of all the beaches in that vicinity Turner's Beach would probably be the least crowded.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

How crowded it will be really depends on how many ships are in port when you visit. If there is only one ship in port it shouldn't be very crowded at all. Of all the beaches in that vicinity Turner's Beach would probably be the least crowded.

Thanks, I will look into Turner's Beach!