Are dogs allowed on any cruise ship???

chivas1

This is not that same as service dogs who can detect seizures etc. This lady specifically stated her dog was to calm her. Again, if you need to be calmed by a dog, then you need to stay home. I think this is flagrant abuse of the system by the lady who just wants to take her PET with her.

Perhaps the dog was a service animal for a medical condition, but the woman did not feel comfortable discussing her medical issues with fellow passengers, so she said it was for "comfort"?

Perhaps the dog was a service animal for a medical condition, but the woman did not feel comfortable discussing her medical issues with fellow passengers, so she said it was for "comfort"?

Exactly - she may have gotten used to saying that instead of "it's none of your business."

When my husband was in a wheelchair, he didn't "look" like he needed one - in fact, he looked young and vibrant. Fellow passengers felt free to grumble all kinds of comments loud enough for us to hear, along the lines of "I should say I need one of those so I get special treatment too." I really wanted to shout at each one of them, but my husband was mortified enough that he was in a wheelchair, so I never added to his embarrassment by confronting those who didn't know what they were talking about. People don't necessariy want to chat about "I have seizures so need a service animal" or "I have cancer, so need a wheelchair" with strangers.

I do agree that those who break the rules make it harder for those who are following them, but that doesn't mean you know which is which.

Best,

Mia

Exactly - she may have gotten used to saying that instead of "it's none of your business."

When my husband was in a wheelchair' date=' he didn't "look" like he needed one - in fact, he looked young and vibrant. Fellow passengers felt free to grumble all kinds of comments loud enough for us to hear, along the lines of "I should say I need one of those so I get special treatment too." I really wanted to shout at each one of them, but my husband was mortified enough that he was in a wheelchair, so I never added to his embarrassment by confronting those who didn't know what they were talking about. People don't necessariy want to chat about "I have seizures so need a service animal" or "I have cancer, so need a wheelchair" with strangers.

I do agree that those who break the rules make it harder for those who are following them, but that doesn't mean you know which is which.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Well said, and thank you for posting this.

A couple of years ago, DH and I met a man onboard the CB who had his "companion" Shih Tzu in a basket that was mounted on the Segway that he rode everywhere on the ship. As we leave our beloved Jack Russell in the kennel when we cruise :(, we asked the man how the pet was able to travel with him.

The man didn't cite health issues but told us that he was an "Elite" Princess cruiser who had always traveled with his beloved wife who had recently passed away. The Shih Tzu was now his constant companion and was welcome aboard the ship. When we inquired about how the Shih Tzu "took care of business", we were more than a little amused to learn that this pampered pooch used a "litter box" :D

Bon Voyage!

Chris

We were on that same cruise and asked about the dog. This lady had her dog certified as a "comfort" animal to help "calm" her. Having the dog go through classes qualifies it as a service animal.

Now I will climb aboard my soap box and expound my thoughts at this back handed way of taking your PET on a cruise. I think it is wrong and selfish. She was also in the dining room with the pooch. Normal service dogs stay under the table and are well behaved-this mutt was in the waist pouch at table level. I think there is something sick abut not being able to be away from a pet for a few days.There are many legitimate needs for service animals and IMHO, this isn't one of them. End of rant.

I agree 100% too, this has been twisted/morphed/abused just like the handicap car parking tags. :cool:

Interesting.........so all I need to do is SAY my animal is a service animal and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I can see it now................a ship full of yapping, messy, shedding, incontinent animals all over the place in the name of the ADA. Sheesh.:(

Yes!! see my post above. :rolleyes:

When I saw the post about the service animals for stability, it reminded me of the service animal we saw at Asilomar Conference Center this fall. The husband was walking his wife's minature horse. Lucy was a service animal that was used for stability. That would be an interesting one on a cruise.

Where do the dogs do their "business"?

I posted above that one of the pooches that we met onboard was trained to use a litter box. I rather doubt that our Jack Russell would use a litter box, but we might be able to get him to take care of business on the putting green :D

Chris

boy this thread is interesting, educational, and comical all at once! I'm an RN and have seen many different service animals in use and would never mind being in their presence even on a ship, but the "calming" dog has me stumped medically. And I too wonder where they do their business!??

The cruise ship will provide a "relief" area for the service dog. This is usually a square box filled with a mulch material. The box is placed in a crew area or an unobtrusive area and the passenger is advised regarding this. If the passenger has a balcony, the relief box could be placed on the balcony. I have seen pictures from a Disney Cruise and the relief box was actually an inflatable (kiddie) pool. The passenger bringing a service dog aboard has to prepare the dog for this experience. Most people with service dogs are very aware of the challenges traveling with a canine can be and have practiced with their dog ahead of time. Most service dogs are very well groomed and will have been bathed prior to the cruise to decrease dander, shedding (although with golden retirevers that is a never ending story). Most service dog owners will remove any solid wast themselves and place in a trash bag. The problem is that this area is often treated as a cigarette disposal area, so the recepient needs to clean the area for the dog!!!

The cruise ship will provide a "relief" area for the service dog. This is usually a square box filled with a mulch material. The box is placed in a crew area or an unobtrusive area and the passenger is advised regarding this. If the passenger has a balcony, the relief box could be placed on the balcony. I have seen pictures from a Disney Cruise and the relief box was actually an inflatable (kiddie) pool. The passenger bringing a service dog aboard has to prepare the dog for this experience. Most people with service dogs are very aware of the challenges traveling with a canine can be and have practiced with their dog ahead of time. Most service dogs are very well groomed and will have been bathed prior to the cruise to decrease dander, shedding (although with golden retirevers that is a never ending story). Most service dog owners will remove any solid wast themselves and place in a trash bag. The problem is that this area is often treated as a cigarette disposal area, so the recepient needs to clean the area for the dog!!!

wow thanks for the info. I think it's wonderful that the dogs can accompany their owners with them.

My mom is visually impaired and does have a Seeing Eye dog who has gone through extensive training (and my mom has also). We were pioneers in cruising with our service dog and was written up in magazines because of it.

When ever we book with Princess - Princess always requests a letter from her doctor explaining the reason for having the dog with us. I had used the same letter for a number of years and this year, requested a new letter because the other one was 10 years old or so.

I am a strong advocate for service dogs (as I know first hand how fabulous they are) but am also disappointed that this (right/act) is being abused by individuals who want to take their pet with them.

For those of you who have missed the point, I will repeat. I am all for service animals for those who truly depend on them. THIS particular lady was comfortable enough to admit that she had her PET certified as a service animal just so she could take him with her.

I am very supportive of service animals being on board, wether it be for seizure detection, visual impairment or any other plausible reason. If this lady needed a calming dog, did she provide Princess with documentation from a physician? This seems to me , as in other cruising related issues ,that people are looking to buck the rules, and making it bad for those who require assistance from animals. Likewise, I find it strange, and not sanitary to allow the dog to sit at the table like that. Again, I hope that this is not another case of people who feel a sense of entitlement feeling the need to buck the rules

This is my understanding of it:

Warning by the dog allows the person to get to a safe place where they won't be hurt or hurt someone else if they have a seizure. Example, if someone had a seizure while climbing the stairs, the siezure would cause a fall with possible serious injury.

Yes, the medical alert is to be in a safe place when the seizure happens. Although from what we have discovered that when a medical alert dog is very intuned with his person he sees more than what you think he's been actually trained for. Like I said in my previous post he has saved my partners life more than once. My partner was standing in the emergency room when he had a massive heart attack. My big fella saved him once again!:D Its hard to tell the emergency doctors your dog told you to come.:D

I wonder if he'll tell me when something is going to happen. I think he will, he's just like that and very special.

Anthony

I am very supportive of service animals being on board, wether it be for seizure detection, visual impairment or any other plausible reason. If this lady needed a calming dog, did she provide Princess with documentation from a physician? This seems to me , as in other cruising related issues ,that people are looking to buck the rules, and making it bad for those who require assistance from animals. Likewise, I find it strange, and not sanitary to allow the dog to sit at the table like that. Again, I hope that this is not another case of people who feel a sense of entitlement feeling the need to buck the rules

No documention needed just tell Princess your animal is a service animal. They can't deny boarding. :cool:

In the USA ADA laws cover the service dog and they can not be denied access to anyone the public has access to. As many Service Dog recepeitns will tell you that they are still often challenged and meet obstacles. My understanding is that there is quite a bit of paperwork prior to a service dog being allowed to board the ship. If the ship makes any international stops, the dog has to have appropriate medical and vaccination documentation for that country. This can be very detailed, so most SD on the ship have had to go thru a lot prior to embarking.

Sunshine, that was my understanding also (that they had to provide a lot of documentation).

We were on a cruise where there was a little black and white service dog (this was a few years ago). I had read about other cruises where people had reported seeing these dogs, so it was no surprise to me. I did ask the woman about her dog, and she said the dog saved her life on numerous occasions.

Archived