luggage scales

colkeena

I could only find excalibur digital luggage scales.Found them at Kohls-in for Christmas.Can find no information about them.Does anyone have these scales?Would like to know if I should keep them or take them back and keep looking.Could not find Balanzza even at Bed Bath and Beyond.Thanks.

When I was searching for a scale Radio Shack was just discontinuing theirs. I never found one.

We purchased the Magellan luggage scale (here's a link directly to the scale) and love it.

It weighs 8oz. so it's not an additional burden. When we were flying home last time I was able to see the weights of our luggage when we checked in. The Magellan was within a pound on each of the bags. It's analog instead of digital so no batteries are needed.

Whether you get the Magellan or another brand make sure that it has a marker that will tell you where the dial stopped. This keeps you from having to hold the luggage while someone reads the dial or trying to read the dial while holding the luggage yourself. You can see the red marker on the Magellan in the link above.

Charlie

I have the Magellan's scale, and it's worth it! I was able to redistribute between luggage to get everything under weight. I've also heard that some use fish scales (sporting goods departments in Wal-Mart & Target, and other places) but I don't know how accurate they are.

Make sure that you zero out your scale, you do not want to be at 51lbs.:eek:. If the airline is at 51lbs have the attendant zero out their scale. Just because they are digital, doesn't make them accurate! I got this tip from 'The Voice of Experience'.

Make sure that you zero out your scale, you do not want to be at 51lbs.:eek:. If the airline is at 51lbs have the attendant zero out their scale. Just because they are digital, doesn't make them accurate! I got this tip from 'The Voice of Experience'.

I'm dense :)

and have no idea what you mean by 'zero out' the scale. How?

Go to eBay.com and search for Balanzza.

Okay, Thanks for the info, but just curious. I went to ebay and checked out Balanzza. The going price is around $24.00. The scale at Magellens runs about $10. Is there an advantage with going with the more expensive one?

s7s- you are not dense! to zero out a scale means to make sure that the scale starts at zero. sometimes even the digital ones get out of whack. the springs get compressed or something like that. my kitchen scale i zero out every time i use it.

the bathroom scale has a knob or dial to get it to zero, we do not want those extra pounds:D

i think the word i have been looking for is calibrate.

Is there an advantage with going with the more expensive one?

I see from Magellan's website that the digital scale is priced at $24.85 while the analog version is $9.85 plus $5.99 for shipping. As usual it is left to the consumer to make a choice between price and quality. (If one believes the reviews that are posted, both rated highly.) Somewhat surprisingly, the base costs at eBay for the digital scales are about the same although some offer free shipping. If your time and expense to travel to a store to buy one is not trivial, this can be an attractive option.

I find the easiest way is to use my bathroom scale. I weigh myself....then get on the scale holding the packed luggage. The difference is the luggage weight. (of course this only works if your weight is not near the scale's maximum) ;)

Now... if you plan to add to your luggage weight via purchases while traveling then I can understand the need to carry a handheld.

Don't forget to add the weight of the scale to the weight of the bag you plan to carry it in. ;) :D

chasetf weighing yourself on the scale is a good idea when you are home but when you repack for a trip and you don't have a scale that can be the problem. If you are packing 2 bags one can easily pack over 50 pounds in one bag and under 50 in the other. This acutally happened once to us and we had to in the middle of the airport take 2 pounds out of one bag and put it in the other. We have had a scale since.

Shak

I see from Magellan's website that the digital scale is priced at $24.85 while the analog version is $9.85 plus $5.99 for shipping. As usual it is left to the consumer to make a choice between price and quality. (If one believes the reviews that are posted, both rated highly.) Somewhat surprisingly, the base costs at eBay for the digital scales are about the same although some offer free shipping. If your time and expense to travel to a store to buy one is not trivial, this can be an attractive option.

We just bought the analog scale from Magellan's (haven't tried it out yet). After I ordered, I saw a similar one at Sears for the same prince (but no shipping costs).

Wow, I never knew people buy a luggage scale. We, too, just weigh ourselves at home, then pick up the suitcase and weigh again. We've never been over our limit. We don't buy that much, and if we do buy some souvenirs I sometimes put them in my carry on so as not to add weight to the suitcase. Interesting.

Wow, I never knew people buy a luggage scale. We, too, just weigh ourselves at home, then pick up the suitcase and weigh again. We've never been over our limit. We don't buy that much, and if we do buy some souvenirs I sometimes put them in my carry on so as not to add weight to the suitcase. Interesting.
We used to use the bathroom scales going and the WAG :p system coming back. It worked but with the increased scrutiny of the airlines and relative low cost and recommendations from other Cruise Critic members we went with the Magellan.

Charlie

I find the easiest way is to use my bathroom scale. I weigh myself....then get on the scale holding the packed luggage. The difference is the luggage weight. (of course this only works if your weight is not near the scale's maximum) ;)

Now... if you plan to add to your luggage weight via purchases while traveling then I can understand the need to carry a handheld.

Don't forget to add the weight of the scale to the weight of the bag you plan to carry it in. ;) :D

Did this last time we flew and the airport scales weighed 2kg more than my bathroom scales. Don't get caught out. The airlines are much stricter these days about overweight bags.

Archived