Cruising hurricane season-sept. Opinions anyone?

afilbrun

With very few exceptions, I cruise from September 1 through mid-December...with most of them during the month of Sept. The prices are much lower and there are fewer kids onboard.

I've never had a problem. Once, I had to drive because approaching hurricane had shut the airports in Florida and the trains weren't running but, I made it in plenty of time...after the hurricane had come ashore....

A few I've been on have been diverted to other islands but, that's not important to me.

If you are set on the ports you want to visit....and would be extremely disappointed if you miss them, then don't cruise during hurricane season at all. You must be flexible and not really care where the ship goes.

I'm sailing in late August and early November this coming year...don't mind taking the chance myself. If we get diverted, I will go with the flow. Hurricane season is 6/1 through 12/1.....it's not like it's a 3 week thing and you can easily avoid it. If you make yourself aware of the risks and are willing to accep them, then go for it. :)

4 cruises all in Sept.

Only missed one port, Grand Turk this year.

First cruise had high winds and seas.

Second cruise and third were pretty calm (maybe one rainy day).

Fourth cruise had fairly strong winds on deck all week and one morning of rain in St. Thomas.

What does everyone think about cruising in Sept. during hurricane season? Are the prices worth it? We don't really care what ports we visit so if we get re-routed that's not a problem. What about rain-a lot? Sun? Thanks!

Hurricane season lasts exactly HALF the year. June 1 through November 30. So, many people cruise during hurricane season, about half of all cruisers!:D

Low prices in Sep. Oct., are more because the kids have gone back to school and vacation time is over. So demand is down. Before cruising became a family vacation, the winter was the high priced time and the summer months were cheap. Thought to be too HOT to cruise the Carib.

As far as cruising during hurricane season is concerned. You are not worried about the itinerary changing so WHY NOT? I live on the Florida coast, if the storm comes, I can't steer my house around it. And there are about 15 million more of us in the same boat,,err, peninsula.

Dan

Out of 7 cruises, the best weather and smoothest sailing I've experienced have been in Sept. & June. The roughest seas I've ever been in were on our Miracle cruise just last month (Oct. 20). However, the weather itself was good last month, other than a little rain. I think with almost any particular month, you have your pros and cons for cruising. And when it comes right down to it, it's really the "luck of the draw" as to what kind of weather you get in any given week. So if you want to take advantage of the Sept. prices, go for it!

I was on the Conquest Ike cruise. If you had told me I was running a chance of my car going underwater in Galveston when I left I would have said no way. When I came back, folks said to me, well you knew the risk??!! I think if something does happen, don't expect any sympathy from this board. They will tell you dont worry before you go and afterwards you knew the risk and took it because of the price. (actually I picked that date because the Carnival rep went thru 3 months worth of reservations to get that two windowed 1A, the date and price wasnt why).

Just be aware you are taking a risk. Ports do flood. Leave your car on high ground and take alternative transportation.

Wow. I am so sorry. :(

I've cruised twice in September during the most active time for storms. I go in with an open mind thinking we will go our projected path and if a TS rolls in then I just roll with it! It happened this past September and I had a great time. Sure, I mourned the fact we didn't get to HGalf Moon Cay or Grand Turk, but Belize and Roatan were well worth it!!!!

I suggest that if you do book during that time of the year, go with an open mind and keep an eye on the NOAA website for possible storms!!

we go every Sept from Fla as its our anniversary and we have yet to be interrupted by a hurricane , we also cruise in Jan or Feb and have had very rough seas due to noreasters.

Guess we'll get hit sooner or later but been good so far , worth it with the prices.

Hurricane season lasts exactly HALF the year. June 1 through November 30. So, many people cruise during hurricane season, about half of all cruisers!:D

Low prices in Sep. Oct., are more because the kids have gone back to school and vacation time is over. So demand is down. Before cruising became a family vacation, the winter was the high priced time and the summer months were cheap. Thought to be too HOT to cruise the Carib.

As far as cruising during hurricane season is concerned. You are not worried about the itinerary changing so WHY NOT? I live on the Florida coast, if the storm comes, I can't steer my house around it. And there are about 15 million more of us in the same boat,,err, peninsula.

Dan

Come on Dan there is hurricane season and then there is HURRICANE SEASON. I definitely think that September/ October qualify as HURRICANE SEASON:p

I could have cared less that we missed the Caymans. I did care that I lost everything in my car and my car. The folks who had electronic equipment, we had all my sister's CD collection in the car, food, coolers, stuff like that that wasnt covered unless you ALSO had homeowner's insurance, that auto insurance didnt cover, might differ about the only thing to worry about is missing a port.

Luckily my storm damage was almost as good as my collission coverage. Never even looked at storm coverage on my auto policy or knew that the deductible might be different. I also didnt know that the contents arent covered by your auto policy.

Wow, I'm so sorry. That really sucks.

How did you end up getting home?

One out of nine cruises I have been on, one was during hurricane season. While we got lucky and had beautiful weather the whole time, I stressed about it for at least a month before hand. There was storm after storm leading up to our cruise, and we literally sailed in four days that happenned to be between storms. I don't think it's worth the few bucks you save and will probably never do it again. For the record, all of the other eight cruises I've done, outside of hurricane season, had beautiful weather, too. Only one or two days have I ever seen rain while cruising.

Come on Dan there is hurricane season and then there is HURRICANE SEASON. I definitely think that September/ October qualify as HURRICANE SEASON:p

There have been hurricanes in May as well as every month through January. The Official "season" IS JUNE 1 thru NOVEMBER 30. And we don't think its a lotta laughs here. In 2004 we lost 8 ft of roof off the north side of our house. Totally destroying the master bedroom and another bedroom, and 4 feet of roof off the south side, destroying the kitchen and family room. We lived in an 8 X 27 foot camper for 10 months. There were not a lot of yuks happening then. The season is 6/1 to 11/30 because, on average, the ocean waters are at 80 degrees or more by 6/1 and usually cool below that after 11/30. That heat in the water is the fuel that powers hurricanes. The worst storm in history could be out over the ocean and if the water is in the 70's it will NOT become a hurricane. Not that the worst storm in history would be a lotta laughs either. But it wouldn't be a hurricane. There are numerous factors in hurricane development. They all do not have to be present for one to form, but the hot water has to be there. If a hurricane loses its steering winds and remains in one spot for a few days it weakens, maybe falls apart. Why, because it churns up the hot surface water and causes upwelling from deep, deep water. Read COOL water. And the hurricane loses power.

Yes, late Aug thru Oct. is the PEAK season. But 80 Plus water and you are in season.

Our house now has about 10 cruises worth of steel shutters and re-enforced trusses and multi-layered and secondary water barriered roof. And still the insurance doubled. I can't find the punch line in that.

Dan

There have been hurricanes in May as well as every month through January. The Official "season" IS JUNE 1 thru NOVEMBER 30. And we don't think its a lotta laughs here. In 2004 we lost 8 ft of roof off the north side of our house. Totally destroying the master bedroom and another bedroom, and 4 feet of roof off the south side, destroying the kitchen and family room. We lived in an 8 X 27 foot camper for 10 months. There were not a lot of yuks happening then. The season is 6/1 to 11/30 because, on average, the ocean waters are at 80 degrees or more by 6/1 and usually cool below that after 11/30. That heat in the water is the fuel that powers hurricanes. The worst storm in history could be out over the ocean and if the water is in the 70's it will NOT become a hurricane. Not that the worst storm in history would be a lotta laughs either. But it wouldn't be a hurricane. There are numerous factors in hurricane development. They all do not have to be present for one to form, but the hot water has to be there. If a hurricane loses its steering winds and remains in one spot for a few days it weakens, maybe falls apart. Why, because it churns up the hot surface water and causes upwelling from deep, deep water. Read COOL water. And the hurricane loses power.

Yes, late Aug thru Oct. is the PEAK season. But 80 Plus water and you are in season.

Our house now has about 10 cruises worth of steel shutters and re-enforced trusses and multi-layered and secondary water barriered roof. And still the insurance doubled. I can't find the punch line in that.

Dan

Nobody forces us to live near the coast, so there's no point in whining about it. ;)

Nobody forces us to live near the coast, so there's no point in whining about it. ;)

I agree. And the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I mean, I can ride my bicycle to Clearwater Beach.. I was born and raised here and I'm not leaving. Furthermore, my house has been standing for 50+ years and the only structural improvements that have been made is painting. As far as cruising goes, I'm not scared of bad weather or diverting to different ports as much as having the cruise shortened or cancelled. My vacation schedule is kind of rigid, so I can't just change my vacation week at the last minute.

I agree. And the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I mean, I can ride my bicycle to Clearwater Beach.. I was born and raised here and I'm not leaving.

You might get a convert here. It's no fun when the temp drops to near zero (or lower) for a week and then the power goes out. We see the sun only a few times during the winter, and on those clear days, it only means it will be cold at night. And then there's snow. Thank heavens we're in a pocket where we don't get heavy snow all the time (location, location, location). Unfortunately, I can't think of any place in the country where they get ideal weather all the time. I suppose as I get older, that little patch of land my DW's family owns in Florida may become more attractive.

In the meantime, I, like many others, will take a chance on Sept-Oct cruising. Convincing some of my cruising buddies might be a little more difficult.

As for hurricanes, the only one I've experienced up close and personal was Hazel back in the mid 50s. I lived in South Carolina at the time and it was no joke. I believe it caused problems all the way to Canada.

Jim

I agree. And the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I mean, I can ride my bicycle to Clearwater Beach.. I was born and raised here and I'm not leaving. Furthermore, my house has been standing for 50+ years and the only structural improvements that have been made is painting. As far as cruising goes, I'm not scared of bad weather or diverting to different ports as much as having the cruise shortened or cancelled. My vacation schedule is kind of rigid, so I can't just change my vacation week at the last minute.

We stood in line at Home Depot to get plywood to cover the windows. They ran out, but said more trucks were on the way. That got used up, more trucks came. Home Depot could not have been better about the whole ordeal. They got ALL the lawn chairs in the place and set them up for all the people in line. They went out and got water and juice and fruit and candy and passed that out. We got our wood at 2AM. The point? Vero had not been touched by a hurricane in 55 years.

No whine, it was just letting another poster WHEN the season is and it is not funny.

Whining would be telling about cleaning out the fridge and freezer after the power was off for 3 weeks in 100 degree weather.:eek: Whining would be telling about watching a weeping Barb, wading knee deep thru a pile of soaked drywall gruel, insulation and her clothes.

But why go there?:rolleyes:

Dan

Archived