Text Messaging Costs????

zippybossrock

When we took our first cruise in May, the kids stayed home with SIL and had a WHOPPER of a phone bill upon our return (we use Sprint). I'm cruising with the girlfriends in January and the hubbies and kids are staying home. I'm wondering if text messaging charges are the same as actually calling on your phone. I have a plan where I have unlimited text messaging so I was hoping to be able to text message home every day and avoid the big charges from calling. Sprint charged $2.49 a minute on our last cruise.

Thanks!!

TMobile was .99 a text message, sent or received in the Caribbean.

My dad made sure my brother and I had our phones OFF the entire cruise, haha.

Check sprint's website, or call sprint customer service, I know different services charge anywhere in between .49 and 1.89 which is ABSURD.

:)

Current charge for AT&T customers is 50 cents outgoing texts, standard charge incoming texts (so if you have unlimited texts incoming is free.)

Current charge for Verizon customers is 50 cents outgoing, 5 cents incoming.

Current charge for T-Mobile customers is 35 cents ougoing, 20 cents incoming. (This is for TMobile US)

I cant find sprints text rates, but their talk rates are in line with everyone elses so im guessing 50 cents or therabouts is a likely candidate.

Bottom line: cheaper than calls but NOT free.

We have Alltel and added the international plan to our phones prior to our MR cruise a few weeks ago. We were assured we could make calls for a charge, roaming plus long distance and free texting. However, we did not have text abillities. We had friends who had Verizon and their phones worked fine. Funny how Verizon has bought Alltel and in the next year they will be the same company.

I'm glad the OP asked this question. I was wondering the same thing, as my oldest DS (17) will not be cruising with us in January. (He chose not to.) We are with Verizon and was wondering about just texting.

What about the cruiseline? Does Carnival charge a surcharge per text like they do per min. for calls???

DJ

I'm glad the OP asked this question. I was wondering the same thing, as my oldest DS (17) will not be cruising with us in January. (He chose not to.) We are with Verizon and was wondering about just texting.

What about the cruiseline? Does Carnival charge a surcharge per text like they do per min. for calls???

DJ

We have Verizon, and it was .50 for sending, but I didn't have any charges for receiving, not sure why.. But, no Carnival doesn't have a surcharge for texts.

Just checked the Cellular at Sea website, it says to call for Sprint charges. The number is 1-800-974-2221.

I just returned from the Inspiration, I have Sprint and I made 2 calls for 6 minutes. It was $2.49/minute for each call. It appears on the bill as "domestic roaming".

I didn't text, so I can't answer that.

Judy

I have sprint, and when i went to San Juan & St. Thomas, i was able to send text and make calls with no charges.

Come to find out that its US owned islands how sprint explained it to me, so "techincally" its considered the same as making calls state-side..

I have sprint, and when i went to San Juan & St. Thomas, i was able to send text and make calls with no charges.

Come to find out that its US owned islands how sprint explained it to me, so "techincally" its considered the same as making calls state-side..

Thanks...that's great to know when we're in St. Thomas.

I guess my original question was about texting while onboard. So, hopefully, it's true that Carnival does not charge a surcharge. I can handle $0.50 per text sent (per Verizon) as I don't plan on sending many texts. Just wanted to know I had that option - and at a much lower cost than if I were to make a cell phone call.

DJ

was this in port or on sea days?

Would there be a cost difference at sea compared to on land.

the reason I ask-- last cruise someone had a teen (who was in love at the time) and was told that text is free but once onboard it was 50 cents for each-- receiving and sending-- was a very expensive lesson learned. (I dont know if it was Verizon or AT & T

was this in port or on sea days?

Would there be a cost difference at sea compared to on land.

the reason I ask-- last cruise someone had a teen (who was in love at the time) and was told that text is free but once onboard it was 50 cents for each-- receiving and sending-- was a very expensive lesson learned. (I dont know if it was Verizon or AT & T

Serene, i texted/made calls in those ports ( st. thomas, san juan). Not on the ship. I cut my phone off..LOL..But i can see where texting if it was free would be easy to communicate with others in a group on the ship..I wonder why it costs..lol..

We called Sprint yesterday to verify the costs. We are going to the Cayman Islands and Ocho Rios. Roaming costs on those islands are $1.99 per minute. The rate while on the ship is $2.49 per minute.

Text messaging is $0.20 per text.

I hope that helps.

That would be terrific if that's really the rate. I doubt I would even spend $10 doing it. Thanks!

You're welcome. If you have any questions, call Sprint at 888-226-7212. I was told that calling that number on any of the islands from my phone is free.

• 2 months later...

The $2.49 per minute is from the company that provides the cell phone link on the ship. Sprint just passes it on. Sprint does not charge you anything other than the normal minutes you would use as if you were at home.

Sprint international texting is .20 cents per each message sent or received. This applies on ship or shore.

Puerto Rico and USVI are US territories, so you get the same benefits as the continental US.

While at these locations, as long as your phone is connected to your carrier and not Carnival at Sea or whatever the Carnival system is called, you will get regular rates. Just check the phone before pressing those buttons.

While at these locations, as long as your phone is connected to your carrier and not Carnival at Sea or whatever the Carnival system is called, you will get regular rates. Just check the phone before pressing those buttons.

Your phone will be on the shore tower in port. Carnival has to turn off its system when it comes into territorial waters (it would be unlicensed otherwise). But yeah, check the screen if you are worried-- the carnival system says something like AT SEA

One thing you want to do is call your carrier and make sure you have the international calling turned on for your plan, otherwise you might either be hit with large roaming/International fees, or not be able to do it at all.

Anyone know how Alltel covers this with the Mexican Riviera as far as cost for calls/text messaging?

• 2 years later...

I'm sailing on Carnival Inspiration on 7/16 and my friend told me to get the International Calling plan from AT&T. My husband and I are sailing alone and I want to be able to touch base with our kids back home. They mostly text so does anyone know the rates AT&T would charge for text messages. We have unlimited text messaging on our family plan. I do realize that I don't want to text/call while at sea but was planning on checking in with them when we get to the ports of call. Thanks!

Archived