Am i the only one??

Bran8778

We often grab a bite of local foods while in port. Favorite so far was the flying fish sandwich we had in Barbados.

My dh had a flying fish sandwich in Barbados too, he said it was the best fish sandwich he ever had! I was done in by the heat and just had a bottle of water but if we ever get back to Barbados we are going back to that restaurant.

Trying something local makes the trip extra special. I think we are going to try conch in Nassau this trip.

I've been to China and if the lack of health codes there didn't do me in I think the Caribbean is ok.

We often ate off-ship. The most memorable time; a 7day cruise from Galveston to Mexico and Roatan with some friends from our bridge club.

At Cozomel, we lazed around in the AM and left the ship to find many of our friends headed back to the ship to "eat what we already paid for". We continued on, bargaining for a gold medal for a Grandson about to have a major religious event. We walked a very few blocks and found many open-air resturants and picked one. For about $20.00, the 2 of us (Yes both) had a great Mexican dinner and 3 beers each, with tip!

They all realized what they missed, I was told the "Mexican" meal served aboard was bad and they should know as none uf us lives more than 10 miles from Mexico.

In Italy one time, we were seated at a table with 3 Italian businessmen. None of them spoke English, but we had a great time using (VERY) broken English, Spanish and Italian. Food was not remarkable but the experience will remain as it has for many years.

Neither my wife nor I have ever been sick on a cruise 'knock on wood', but we have many great memories (not all great, but most).

I feel sorry for people who "never eat off ship". They never get to know where they have been.

I dont know why , but every port we stop at I have to eat something!!!

I try to find something authentic, to the island/port city!!

Red Snapper in Costa Rica was the best !!

I'm with you. I try to have a nice lunch somewhere at every port...something local... For me, it's part of the experience....

There are some really good places I like to eat and make it a point to do so when in port.. Antoines downtown Phillipsburg, St. Maarten for a delicious fresh lobster Caesar's Salad and the best view.... Breezes across from the port in Cayman...any of their fish dishes plus yummy "peas and rice"....and wonderful Mojitos.... One of my favorites, though, is a Jerk Shack and beach bar right outside the gate of the port in Ocho Rios. It's a right hand turn in an opening in a wooden fence that most people pass by....but boy! 2.00 Red Stripe and a local with a fired up grill serving the best jerk chicken and pork on the planet....for 10.00!!! AND, a great view, too..... It's has everything you'd expect; a couple of surly bartenders (usually women) and a great grill cook......

I love to try local foods wherever I go but am careful what I eat to make sure it's cooked well and under relatively sanitary conditions..... Other than that, my taste buds are adventurous!!

Oh, I almost forgot another favorite; Pancho's Backyard in Cozumel!!! Fresh made tortillas, REAL "Mexican" food, fresh guacamole, delicious everything on the menu and the absolute best habanero hot sauce, freshly made, I've ever eaten. All that plus live Marimba music.....heaven. They also have Gi-mungous margeritas........

Having lived in Asia for three years and toured all around, not to mention the many other places throughout the world that I have lived in (home is where the Army sends me) I have to agree that eating the local food is part of the experience. It's no different while on a cruise. For me, it's all a part of the package.

And I will even eat off the street vendor's carts on a rare occasion. Depends on how the cart looks, how the food looks and most importantly how the vendor looks. I'm sure that many people would be amazed at some of the things I ate from the vendor's carts in Asia. And some of the things that I ate that way were the best foods I have ever eaten, bar none.

Looking forward to more local fare opportunities in just 52 days.

Happy eating,

I have had the pleasure(?) :rolleyes: of eating in McDonalds in various cities,Stockholm,Amsterdam,Paris,Saltzberg to name a few.

My excuse being that I had small children with me who wouldn't eat

anything "foreign"! It's quite interesting to see how they adapt the

menu to the host country.

I hope to try some local goodies on our Baltic cruise,but my DH unfortunatly belongs to the"I've already paid for the food on the cruise,why should I pay again." group!:(

I like think slices of Spam, frizzled nice and brown on both sides so it's crisp. YUM!

As for the notion of eating on shore: Let me start by saying that it's each person's prerogative to eat/not eat in port. I respect that; most of my husband's family won't risk eating off the ship. They also feel they've paid for ship's food and don't want to pay for food on shore.

Having said that, I'm sorry, Judith02, that you felt having a gelato in Italy was taking a chance. I spent almost three weeks in Italy, eating the food and drinking the water. No illness. I've traveled to Europe seven times since 1969 and gotten sick once- from a bad piece of souvlaki near the end of a month-long trip to Greece in 1980. That could happen anywhere- even on a cruise ship. So I understand perfectly about allergies, food preferences and fear of illness.

I guess my point is that once you dabble your toe in the "waters" of the local food scene, and take reasonable precautions, you'll be fine and will enjoy a valuable aspect of travel. What's reasonable? For instance, on a 4-day cruise on RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, I got off in Nassau looking for a decent lunch. The food on the ship was AWFUL, so I felt it necessary. While there were foodsellers near the dock, I walked a block or two into town and found a place where people from government offices were having lunch. I had my first taste of conch fritters, and was glad for the chance. The food was well-prepared and the restaurant was as clean as any I'd eat in in the states. However, when I got off in Belize last February, I looked around at what was offered (and the conditions of the vendors) and knew I'd be holding off until returning to the ship. "Reasonable" is something each one decides for him/herself.

Each person will do what s/he feels is necessary and best for him/her. But I'll continue encouraging my husband and friends to try something each time we travel.

I have an Anthony Bourdain-like curiousity about food. So bring on the tripe, sweetbreads, and whatever else they have and let's try it. Seriously, I take a good look at the restaurants and street vendors. If they appear clean and health conscious, I go for it. Honestly, I have gotten sicker here in the US in our government regulated and inspected restaurants than I have while away.

I always make it a point to sample to local cuisine anywhere I go. I'll either poke around looking for it myself (noting places filled with locals, not tourists), or grab a guide and ask them to take me where they like getting lunch. I always invite the guide to be my guest at lunch -- and have had some amazing and illuminating conversations this way!

Knock on wood, in 20 years I have never had any problems doing this; and I've been to some really, really outback parts of the world and tiny villages in the middle of nowhere.

I take realistic precautions. I drink bottled water unless I know the local water is safe. I won't eat at a place that obviously isn't sanitary (e.g. has room-temp raw meat sitting around).

Trying the local food is a big deal for me. Eating together is a universal solvent -- every culture enjoys chit-chatting around a plate of food -- so it's a natural conversation starter and way to make friends. :D I can't imagine missing out on this in favor of another "same ol' same ol'" buffet on board.

• 2 weeks later...
I eat off the ship if I am hungry, but I don't plan on eating off the ship. If I need to eat I will.

If that chance has it that your hungry in port, what's your choice: local food or Burger King??

LOL no, a Whopper doesn't sound too good at the moment. (Though I do have a Jr. occasionally ;)).

I like to try new things and enjoy eating in ports. We head to the "fish fry" in Nassau for some conch fritters, or grab some carne asada in Cozumel, and we really enjoyed the tamales while in Zihuatanejo at Tamales Atole Y Any. :)Yummm

LOL no, a Whopper doesn't sound too good at the moment. (Though I do have a Jr. occasionally ;)).

I like to try new things and enjoy eating in ports. We head to the "fish fry" in Nassau for some conch fritters, or grab some carne asada in Cozumel, and we really enjoyed the tamales while in Zihuatanejo at Tamales Atole Y Any. :)Yummm

My wife stays away from the fritters now that she knows what they are, LOL

I have Bizzare Foods on the Travel Channel to thank for that !!

:)What's wrong with fried mystery meat? I'd take that over a BK any day!!!:)

My wife stays away from the fritters now that she knows what they are, LOL

I have Bizzare Foods on the Travel Channel to thank for that !!

:)What's wrong with fried mystery meat? I'd take that over a BK any day!!!:)

She's ok with Mystery Meat, It's when it's not a Mystery anymore that we start to run into problems :)

Oh, I love poutine! :) I'm of French Canadian decent, living in a city that was settled by French Canadians where poutine is popular in the small diners and mom and pop restaurants. It's gravy, french fries and cheese curd....it may look yucky, (I don't think so), but it is good, though not very good for you. :o

Well let me start off by saying I've read the whole thread now, and I am also a fan of Alton and Zimmern, and I absolutely adore Anthony Bourdain. It might border on an obession, lol.

As for eating in port, only within the past few years has my family decided to branch out and try it, and I am so glad we did. I've had the BEST posole in a tiny little restuarant in Acapulco. No one there spoke a word of English, and we barely speak Spanish, so we just asked for what it was the locals there were eating. It wasn't until we were back on the ship and described the dish to our tablemates who happened to live in the southwest and have family in Mexico that we found out what it was/was called. Looking back, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Since then we have made it a point to try the local restaurants and food. If we see people that look like they came off a ship as the majority of customers we walk on by. When the place is full of locals and/or it was recommented by a local we give it a go. Usually it's a great experience. A couple of times the food was just so-so, but certainly on par with any of the tourista food we would have gotten if we'd just gone to Carlos and Charlies or whatever.

Knock on wood, I've never gotten food poisoning or even the slightest hint of an upset stomach on a cruise from food. In fact, the only time I ever got food poisoning was from a can of Campbell's soup at home! lol People get sick from food at restaurants at home too, it's not like it's a risk synonymous only with travelling. So I say go for it as long as the place seems clean. Maybe someday I'll have that one meal that gets me sick, but once I'm better I will be right back out to a local place. Life is too short and local food is too good to miss because of worrying. :)

Hello:

The picture of the poutine looks yummy. I would try it in a heartbeat. Nothing like some curds and whey........or curds and fries with gravy.

Someone told me to try Poutine in Canada, has anyone every had it? It is like fries and cheese curds or something. Looks horrid but made it sound super yummy!

Check out the gross pics: http://blog.francis.vachon.net/poutine-Ashton.jpg

Insight? Canadians? Cruisers who've tried this before? I hear it's the delicassy!

Agreed, I will try it anyways! Just have to put mind over matter. Heck, if I can eat bugs I can eat cheese curds! Maybe the french fries will be so outstanding that it won't even be bad!

I eat when I'm hungry...if that's in port, then great - I get to try something new; if that's not til I'm onboard again, then great - I get to save some money! I've had some really delicious meals in port and in other countries (on land-trips when you obviously HAVE to eat locally) and I think I would be missing out if I never tried something new.

I love to eat local food. Most of our vacations are land based so we have no choice but to eat local.

One of our favorite Hole in the wall places in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenberg4.jpg

Brats in Koln, Germany

BrautwitBrotten.jpg

Carne Asada tacos in Playa Del Carmen

ElAsadero1.jpg

my Favorite H.C. Monterey in playa. There is also one in Cozumel now. can't wait to eat there in the middle of June.

P1010124.jpg

Of course you can't forget desert with fresh made ice cream and fresh waffle cones in Playa

DSCF1870.jpg

My personal thoughts are, when in Rome {or Memphis,or Philly,or San Deigo} EAT as the Romans do! I love finding lil off the beaten path kinds of places to eat and try new things. I absolutely plan to do that in Mexico in March. I also cant wait for DH to eat "real Mexican" food. This thread and others like it have made me hongrey! :)

One more thought, I try never to eat at National Chains when I travel. Unless we're starving and McDonalds is the only thing close to the interstate and open. Just some food for thought. I have not regretted it!

Archived