Carry on luggage space

gargoyle999

I don't fly a lot and am just wondering if the carry on situation is a mess with all the additional fees for checked bags. Are people booked in coach at the front of the plane having to get their carry on luggage checked a lot now because the people seated further back are taking up all the overhead space?

I don't know about gate-checking ... but flight attendants have told me that the overhead bins are full and that First Class carryons are overflowing into economy overhead space.

For our upcoming trip, we specifically selected seats near the rear so as to be part of the first or second boarding group and, hopefully, we'll be able to stow our teeny-tiny measly little carryons.

I've noticed passengers dragging 3 and 4 carryons each thru the airport, some larger than the dimensions permitted by the airlines, so I'm guessing the airlines soon will either clamp down or gate-check a lot more than in the past.

I don't know about gate-checking ... but flight attendants have told me that the overhead bins are full and that First Class carryons are overflowing into economy overhead space.

For our upcoming trip, we specifically selected seats near the rear so as to be part of the first or second boarding group and, hopefully, we'll be able to stow our teeny-tiny measly little carryons.

I've noticed passengers dragging 3 and 4 carryons each thru the airport, some larger than the dimensions permitted by the airlines, so I'm guessing the airlines soon will either clamp down or gate-check a lot more than in the past.

I think you misunderstood the FA about First Class luggage. First Class passengers as well as elite status FF do NOT pay additional fees for checked luggage. No need to drag extra carry ons. While first class luggage space is usually JAMMED, it is NOT with first class passengers luggage.

This week, flying home from JFK, the FA were taking any excess coach luggage and stuffing it in the first class overheads. I fly first class on AA about 95% of the time. I am getting very tired of all the excess luggage from the coach passengers in first class. I had to wait for the FA to get the COACH luggage out of First class to be able to get to my own luggage which was in the same bin and leave the plane.

If I can hasten the removal of extra carryon luggage, I will darn sure do it. I have written letters to upper management of AA as well as the EXP customer service about all the excess luggage that is getting hauled on to AA planes. Either take less "stuff" overall or plan to pay for checked bags.

Not all airlines board from back to front, so whether your strategy will work or not depends on what airline you are flying. Yes, more people are carrying on their bags and the overhead bin space is fuller. Yes, I have noted airlines gate checking many more bags and being much more strict in enforcing the carry-on rules. You are not allowed to bring on three or more bags!

I hate it when bags are stowed above my seat, especially when they are placed sideways, and the passenger is no where to be found. Or their coats, jackets, gift bags, etc. are taking up all the room. You would think people would learn the correct way to place a bag in the overhead storage by now.

I understand why a passenger in F is especially peeved to have no storage space above their seat, because it is taken up with Y baggage. IMO, if the bag doesn't fit in the space provided for your class of service, it should be gate-checked.

I think you misunderstood the FA about First Class luggage. First Class passengers as well as elite status FF do NOT pay additional fees for checked luggage. No need to drag extra carry ons. While first class luggage space is usually JAMMED, it is NOT with first class passengers luggage.

No, I did not misunderstand the American flight attendant at O'Hare. While First Class and elite may not be paying for checked bags, she indicated that those passengers seem to be dragging onboard more than can be stowed properly in the First Class cabin. Hence, the overflow to Economy overhead space. I'm just stating what I was told ...

But, I do believe too much crap is being hauled along as carryon. If the checked bag fees (for most passengers) is all about increasing an airline's revenue stream, then airline and TSA enforcement is the key to (1) adding to that revenue and (2) unclogging those overheads. As a byproduct ... boarding, deplaning and equipment turnaround times would be more efficient.

Remember that you can stow some of your stuff UNDER the seat in front of you, too!

Well I'm going to have my camera bag (personal item) that will go under the seat. But I will have my one carry-on as well. It will be what it will be, but I just wanted to get some idea what was in store for me in a couple days. Sounds like it will be a bit of a mess.

Thanks for the replies.

But, I do believe too much crap is being hauled along as carryon. .

I've always believed that too much crap is being hauled along as carryon!

I don't fly nearly as much as many of you, but it's incredible the of the number of times I've seen somebody making everybody else wait while they try to either put something into the overheads or take it back out. Many times, these nice folks aren't even able to lift it that high by themselves. Proposed new law: if you can't easily lift it over your head by yourself, then you can't bring it on a plan as carryon!

I've always believed that too much crap is being hauled along as carryon!

I don't fly nearly as much as many of you, but it's incredible the of the number of times I've seen somebody making everybody else wait while they try to either put something into the overheads or take it back out. Many times, these nice folks aren't even able to lift it that high by themselves. Proposed new law: if you can't easily lift it over your head by yourself, then you can't bring it on a plan as carryon!

The amount of carryon seems to have increased even more since many airlines have introduced checked bag fees. Wondering ... if airlines had at any point announced that only carryons would be permitted and that no checked bags would be allowed, as that space could better be used for cargo ... imagine the public outcry!

Agree that passengers need to be able to single-handedly schlep their own stuff onboard and into and out of the overhead. If that's not possible, gate-checking should be enforced, with appropriate checked-bag fees assessed at the gate.

Archived