Fred Olsen chartered flights

Gelbel

Looking to do the Eastern Seaboard cruise next October on Balmoral. Flying from Manchester to Montreal and back from Halifax. Can anyone give me an idea of the charter airline company FO may use?

I've enquired about premium or extra leg room and told not available. So does that mean Thomson or Thomas Cook are not used?

Any replies will help me to make an informed decision.........ie do I take this cruise at all and if I do, do I hold back on cabin to save some budget for a better flight experience? The thought of flying long haul out and out goat class is holding me back from booking.:eek:

I flew to MoBay with Monarch on a private charter for an FOCL cruise last year. Had premium economy seat, excellent flight, more food and drink that any other flight taken...almost steady stream of it from the moment you get on board the plane (and that goes for premium or standard seating).

Premium seats go VERY quickly...usually within weeks of the cruise going on sale.

Luggage is taken off the plane, straight into lorries and onto ship, both myself and my luggage bypassed immigration last year. Not sure if the same happens now in that respect but the flight was superb :)

Thank you. Not known premium/extra leg room all booked 10-11 months out before. Perhaps it's a FOCL thing....not cruised with them before.

Monarch - :( only 28-29". Can't do that for long haul. I find 30" for 3 hours down to Malaga bad enough..............the only time I moan about being tall and having long legs.:p

Other airlines they charter from Thomsonfly, First Choice and sometimes Thomas Cook.

Usually use 757/767/A330 with only cruise passengers on board, so you get to know the fellow passengers on the way to the ship...and can seat far away from any annoying one's on the way back.

The Monarch 757 that I was aboard had leather seats throughout and those in economy didn't have any complaints about space, everyone seemed to enjoy the 10 hour flight and not be stressed when getting off...helped of course by no immigration queues at the other end.

Oh and I am 6ft, I got a prem seat 14 months out, but would happily use standard econ if I cruised with them again.

Longhaul flying doesn't bother me, last cruise was 14 hours each way in econ aboard Air France and last month I did 11 hours each way on KLM 747 Combi in econ...not a problem once you get comfy :)

We are flying Manchester to Barbados next Thursday for a FO Caribbean cruise - Premium was booked up so we are economy which I am not keen on .

FO have arranged Thomson Fly who say :-

"Book your Thomson long haul holiday now, and you'll get a 33” seat pitch, stylish leather seats and more on your flights with Thomson Airways. Just think - that’s more legroom in long haul economy than BA, Virgin Atlantic, bmi & Monarch"

Keith, I came home on Thomson Premium on 15 November from Montego Bay. It was a good flight - comfy, food OK. My only gripe no rose wine......I was driving at the other end so I only wanted one little glass; had to have WARM white with dinner instead.

I checked out standard as I got off - did not look too bad. What did (slightly) concern me was the back there seats looked quite narrow. In standard the configuration for our plane was 2-4-2. These were all in a row. In premium it was 2-3-2 but the 2s were slightly behind or infront of the 3s - if that makes sense.

I flew home standard from Newark by Continental earlier this year - I can say that was AWFUL but I was hemmed in against the window by a Yank who would not move - Thomsonfly standard did not look as bad as that flight was - I got on that flight and thought OMG.

I am sure you will be fine....and it's exciting and not so bad going out as it's the start of your holiday and you don't need to worry too much about annoying those around you if you want to move about as it's day time.

Thanks for the info Gelbel.

I am not a great fan of long haul but needs must to see the world.

Just a pity we could not get Premium - we did try - feel a bit let down by FO re flights as we booked the holiday in April and there were no Manchester flight details available then, asked FO to be put into Premium as soon as flight company was known - due to an oversight they overlooked this and when I chased them for the flight details as the time got nearer they told me all the premium seats except one had been booked - so no good for me and my wife.

Haven't used FO before but FO was recommended by a friend.

Have been on the Boudicca twice now, going on translantic in april.

Same ship and company, small but friendly.

Everbody gets to know each other. In ten cruises , with other companies this company i rate highly, only drawback are the rooms, bigger ships , bigger rooms.

enjoy steve

Just a pity we could not get Premium - we did try - feel a bit let down by FO re flights as we booked the holiday in April and there were no Manchester flight details available then, asked FO to be put into Premium as soon as flight company was known - due to an oversight they overlooked this and when I chased them for the flight details as the time got nearer they told me all the premium seats except one had been booked - so no good for me and my wife.

Haven't used FO before but FO was recommended by a friend.

This is what I am concerned about. First time for us with FO. I booked and P&O 12 months in advanced and booked my premium then. Surely they have a idea of the charter they use at the time of booking and surely most charters have the enhanced, payable option.

My cabin depends on whether I can book premium or not.:mad:

Hi,

Why not have a word with FO Reservations office and don't be fobbed off.

Like you I would have thought that the airline would have been known when Cruise Bookings were being taken.

We may just have been unlucky.

I had heard that BA used to do Barbados from Manchester but stopped doing it this year and perhaps in our case FO had to find a different airline.

Hi shecat7 - thanks for info re Boudicca - we prefer a smaller ship - Used to go on Cunard Countess and Princess many years ago and have been once on a very large one 8 years ago but there were too many passengers for our liking but the accommodation was excellent.

We have just come off the Victoria, brilliant all the way through, 5 star ship in every way.

Different from the boudicca in nearly every aspect.

Its often the staff that makes your cruise, in boudiccas case they are mostly philopino,s, always smiling and can not do enough.

Take clothes one size to big, as you will put on weight.

Very formal in the dress codes.

Enjoy your cruise

Steve

..............Very formal in the dress codes.

Hi Steve,

How formal is Boudicca dress code - Was hoping that since our last cruise 8 years ago things had got less formal and was intending to take a lounge suit and have selected Tintagel as Restaurant as being somewhat less formal.

Regards,

Keith

Hi keith

there are two formal nights

Captains welcome and the captains leaving party.

These are mostly D.J,s but a dark suit is o.k.

As you are in the islands , i guess that with the weight allowance for flying and the heat , a lot of people will not bring them. As long as you have a dark suit you are o.k

There will be in a 12 day cruise 2 formals, 4 semi formal,s ( either a jacket or tie ) and the rest elegant casual (shirt and trousers ) or themed nights.

Themed nights are red/white/blue for british, tropical, country and western.

You do not have to dress up, its for the individual to make up there minds.

I went by mistake thinking it was british but it was semi formal, i was quitely and professionaly told you had to wear a jacket.

In the secret garden dress codes are not the same , but the restaurant does have that ambiance.

I always say be your self, and i have worn a dark suit on the captains party on the cunard,s Queen mary although i had my d.j. just did not want to dress up that night.

Either way just enjoy your cruise and the ports.

Steve

Can anyone give me an idea of the charter airline company FO may use?

I've enquired about premium or extra leg room and told not available. So does that mean Thomson or Thomas Cook are not used?

:eek:

They have also started to use using Newquay airport, which until yesterday was operated by the RAF. Pics show that they are chartering Monarch. I believe that only one flight out has taken place organised by FO. However the airport has now closed until 20th December due to not having clearance for their air traffic control so we have not heard what is happening to our arrangements for our flight out on New Years Day. Am I worried? With this and the news that the Boudicca has had a bump in Barbados - no, but I won't be telling my wife about the recent news.

http://www.newquaycornwallairport.com/index.cfm?articleid=41973

This link shows that you can book seats on chartered flights, but the problem is you cannot book until you know for sure. My wife always worries about me being cramped and we have gone on line to book seats as soon as we have our flights confirmed and will do so for this trip, but of course it is first come first served.

I have to admit it does make a difference, but would always opt for the cheaper option and suffer.

http://flights.monarch.co.uk/cnt/travelinfo/seating.asp

Hi Steve,

How formal is Boudicca dress code - Was hoping that since our last cruise 8 years ago things had got less formal and was intending to take a lounge suit and have selected Tintagel as Restaurant as being somewhat less formal.

Regards,

Keith

there are three restaurants all linked together 4 seasons, tintagel and the heligan room, your table will not be given to you get on board, go to the restaurant around 3.30 and you can see the maitre,d and change it if he can .9 times out of ten he will do.

The tintagel and the 4 seasons are on either side of the boat opp/te each other ,the heligan room is just after the secret garden.

Early sitting is better for shows as they start at 8.30 and 10pm. 9pm and 10.30 on formal nights.

I have kept all the daily programmes so if you need any further info , please get in touch

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the helpful info re Boudicca Dress Code & Restaurants etc - it is much appreciated .

In the summer, thinking that cruises would be less formal now, I bought ( for the ease of packing & the heat of the Caribbean ) a fairly expensive lightweight lounge suit in a sort of fawny colour for the Caribbean cruise so they will have to accept me as I am.

I note the Restaurant information and the very useful tip to see the Maitre D' in the afternoon of arrival to verify/possibly change arrangements.

I don't think the Secret Garden is an eating option we would want to follow but The Heligan Room looks OK - Did you try that option?

Regards,

Keith

The three restaurants are fixed dining arrangements, at night , and the tables are assigned. The heligan room for breakfeast/ lunch, is nearer the door but if you use the buffet in the centre of the 3 restaurants its further to walk, and your food can get cold.

The secret garden is o.k at night if you come back late from trips and the themed foods are in there.

As somebody once said ,serving youself in the buffets or eating in the restaurants at the prices we pay is akin to the difference of eating at macdonalds or eating at the ritz.

On cruises over 12 days , sometimes you just do not want to eat 5 courses.

On the last cruise on the queen vic, comming back from egypt , a 13hr day ,i just wanted a wash and brush up and not to get fully dressed up and eat in the restaurant .So i went in the buffet and had a mixture.

Steve

Thanks Steve, :)

I am just typing up some notes to take with me of the information I have gleaned about some of the ports we will be visiting and the cruise in general etc.Keith

You can get some good 2nd hand travel books on the internet - I use Amazon.

I have booked the Balmoral cruise - my (dedicated cruise) travel agent is checking for flight details every other day to see if we can get an upgrade/extra leg room. I'll be notified as soon as they have any detail.

I've got ordered 2nd hand New England and Eastern Canada guides for £13 - the postage costs more than the books!

• 2 weeks later...

Keith - I and my wife are sailing on the Boudicca on the 18th December from Barbados. The cruise is of two weeks duration and we visit the various Caribbean islands.

I would appreciate a copy of your notes on the various destinations and ports. Can you post it here or mail it to me? I am not sure if I am permitted to publish my email address here but I shall have a go anyway. It is grahamcooke@btinternet.com

Are you on the same cruise?

Hi Steve,

The information about Boudicca proved most helpful as we already felt we knew the ship and some of the ropes when we got there.

We dined in The Tintagel dining room and on open sittings occasionally dined in the Four seasons and there was very little to choose between them.

We had a very enjoyable cruise :)

Regards,

Keith

Hi Gelbel.

Just to let you know that the Thomson Economy flights to Barbados and back were fine ( 2 - 4 - 2 configuration ) and the leg room was 33 inches.

The Fred Olsen organisation of the transport arrangements from Manchester Airport check in to the Ship in Barbados and the return transport arrangements from Ship to Manchester airport were very smooth and trouble free and on time and the cabin staff were very efficient and friendly as were the airport to ship / ship to airport transfer staff in Barbados.

Archived