Live from the Sapphire: Nov 29-Dec 6th!

gargoyle999

Bob: Tell your dad to get the scooter....he won't be embarrassed or feel funny about it. The staff are used to them and other cruisers won't even notice but your dad's trip will be so much more enjoyed if he's not over taxed from walking. There's a lot of walking from the forward (theatre) to the aft (dining room.)

The entrance to the theatre has a ramp in the middle and he will have ample room on either the right or left side of the ramp to park/sit and enjoy the show. We thought it would be too far away to enjoy....it's not!

Steve: I saved the crackers for snacking during the movies and even brought the chips and quacamole to watch "The Dark Knight" and, you should have seen the crowd for "MaMa Mia!" Now, where can you get chips and quac. while in the Explorer's lounge? ;)

Sorry for no report from yesterday. Had a fun day as Las Calates and was tired when we got back! Beautiful weather and a great time. :)

Gargoyle999,

Did you take the Las Caletas excursion through Princess or go direct to a vendor, and if so did you do so in advance or on the dock? What are your thoughts about the choices?

Would like to hear all about your Mazatlan excursion too - spare us no details, and again, thanks!

B+S

Las Caletas is a fun excursion and includes a pretty good Mexican buffet lunch.

Mazatlan Frank is a cool guy. He took us to Tony's by the Beach to eat...food was good but a little pricey (I think the seafood platter was like $50).

The Sapphire Princess is a great ship....can't wait to go back someday.

RVD.

Just got back from our day with Mazatlan Frank. I’ll get to that in a bit, but in summary, he is awesome.

Back to Las Caletas for a moment. Well, even before that I have to go back. Our time in Puerto Vallarta was supposed to be from 10a-8pm. Our excursion through Princess to Las Caletas was supposed to be from 11:15a-6p. Well when we got our tickets, they were to meet ashore at 10:05am. We ended up being in Puerto Vallarta from 9am-7pm and our excursion was from 10am-5pm. What was weird was that there was never anything communicated to us about the time change!

Ok on to our day and excursion yesterday. We went and had breakfast in the dining room. They use the International Dining room for the open seating breakfast. We requested and were given a table for two no problem. Breakfast was fine, and then we came back to the cabin to wait to go ashore.

We made the mistake of heading out as soon as they said we could go ashore. Ended up in a big line snaking around the halls. Should have waited as there was not much to do right at the pier except wait about 45 minutes for our excursion to start - we did have our picture taken holding a Parrot.

The excursion started on time and Emilio was the one taking the tickets and sort of keeping us moving along. He went with us on the excursion and was the “main guy”. It took about an hour and a half for the boat ride over there. You go along and can sort of do some sightseeing and take a lot of pictures. They have an open bar and I can now tell you I like Pacifico Beer! DW had a Margarita but said it wasn’t very good. They played some 90’s dance music and introduced the crew. Emilio was always trying to be funny. It was a nice trip out there seeing the different things – like the Malecon, etc.

Once there we had a bit of confusion. They were serving lunch but those of us who were going to do the snorkel with a Sea Lion were supposed to go with Emilio and eat lunch afterwards. Well only DW and I followed instructions, so after about 10 minutes of trying to get the Sea Lion people together they just gave up and had DW and I go eat lunch. It was a little rushed for us because we wanted to eat quickly so as not to hold things up for the Sea Lion. Lunch was good though. They have plenty of food and things to eat and waiters going around to bring you drinks. I had rum punch that was tasty.

Next we were told to go to the activity beach to meet up for the Sea Lion so we ate fast then headed over there. Turns out we could have taken our time. It took maybe another 45 minutes for them to round up the other people doing the Sea Lion thing. DW and I just grabbed some chairs on the beach and hung out. Once they gathered everyone up we went up to check out for snorkel gear. DW and I have our own masks and snorkel so only checked out fins and a flotation device. When all geared up Arturo took us out to the platform were we met the Sea Lion – “Litibu”.

It was a lot of fun. We were out there probably close to the 40 minutes they advertise. Everyone gets some kisses and gets to pet him as he swims around. Guess he is from some sort of zoo and lives with about 10 other Sea Lions, so it’s not as though he is just living in cage only to come out for us Gringos. Gets lots of fish and certainly seems well fed. So once that was over we just floated around in the water for awhile. It was pretty murky and had some algae or something floating on the surface with the occasional piece of debris floating past. I tried not to think about that. DW went back to the beach but I hung out there bobbing around for quite awhile.

I can see what people mean when they say it is structured. You can go out into the water swimming whenever you want, but they took people to snorkel at a certain time (we didn’t do that because it was so murky) and had to wait to kayak until the snorkelers get back, etc. Then after kayaking was the nature walk. It was only about 30 minutes again led by Emilio but he seemed pretty knowledgeable about the large spiders he showed us and the plants and flowers. Of course my camera batteries died just at the start of it, so I did not get any pictures but it was fun. It is not too strenuous, but does go up a lot to begin with so keep that in mind of wanting to do it.

Then after the walk it is basically time to head back. The boat ride back to the ship is about 45 minutes. More music and the crew tries to keep you entertained. Again open bar. It must be open bar while there as well, but I spent so much time either with the Sea Lion, bobbing around in the water or on the nature walk I wasn’t thinking about getting something to drink. I had water on the boat ride back.

I’m glad we did that. DW really enjoyed the Sea Lion. I enjoyed just hanging out in the water. I wish the water had been clearer and cleaner though.

Now back to today in Mazatlan. We didn’t have to meet Mazatlan Frank until 8:30am so we went to the buffet for breakfast. The scrambled eggs were runny but otherwise were good. Bacon was crispy just how I like it! Then made our way off the ship shortly after 8am, no lines! Took the little tram over to the Cruise Terminal which takes about 45 seconds. Some timeshare folks hanging around but we made our way through without any problems. Once outside we met Mazatlan Frank. Also met Tom from our roll call as he was already out there. He only gave me a very small amount of grief for not making the meet and greet!

Waited a few minutes for the rest of our group to show up. There were people from other cruise ships on the tour as well. Once everyone was there we headed over to Frank’s van. During the tour you cover a lot of ground. Some is in the van, other spots you get out and walk around. There are a lot of stops to take some nice pictures. A church nearby a large market with more fruit, vegetable and meat selection then we see at any grocery store at home. Don’t go into the meat section if you are squeamish! Lots of pig heads, tongues, ears, entrails, etc!

You go through Old Mazatlan and an area of El Cid which is a gated community and see the expensive houses. Stop to see a nice view of the cruise ships in the harbor. The highlight for me was Tony’s on the Beach for lunch. We asked for a table actually on the beach and it was so nice and relaxing! When you are there ask for a “chocolate milk”! I had two chocolate milks and some very jumbo breaded shrimp along with nachos. DW had guacamole and the shrimp fajitas and thought they were very good. After lunch we took a walk along the beach while Frank took some people for a massage and others back to the ship.

We got back to the ship with plenty time and took a look around the vendors around the cruise port then back on the ship.

We just went to the early comedian show with Kevin Jordan since the wait for a table for two for Anytime was going to be after 7pm anyway. It was the family show, tomorrow is his adult show. I thought he was pretty funny, but spent a little too much time shining his flashlight at people in the audience for his act. Will likely check out his adult show at midnight tomorrow night though.

Was crab legs for dinner tonight (btw, I’m taking pictures of all the dining room menus and will post them when I get back). Tomorrow is Cabo. We will be on the Yael. Only two more days left…time is going way too fast!

About cranberry juice. Since we ate at the buffet today and will do so again tomorrow I won’t know until Friday morning. I think we will order room service that day so I’ll let you know then. I haven’t seen it listed on any menu though so I will be surprised if it shows up…

We booked Las Caletas through Princess. Because of the timing it was not possible to go through an independent vendor because the catamaran goes out at certain times, I checked into it. Though since things were shifted an hour in PV after we sailed it probably would have worked out. I’m not sure what would happen if you tried to buy a ticket from the guy collecting them at the Pier.

We paid $358 for the two of us to go there and also do the Sea Lion thing. I just wanted to say that having done it, I wouldn’t pay that much to do the same thing again. But I don’t regret doing it the one time.

I agree Tony’s on the Beach is not the cheapest, it was like $22 for my shrimp. DW’s shrimp fajitas were only around $10 though. But sitting on the beach eating my lunch enjoying the waves and warm sunshine while people back home were shoveling snow (got an invoice today from the guy we arranged to plow our driveway if needed while we are gone) is priceless as they say. And yes in three days it will suck to be me. I’m just glad I have another cruise planned for February!

Just wanted to mention that we were on the Star 2 wks ago and did the Las Caletas tour without the scuba or snorkeling and it was $89pp. I really enjoyed it and would do it again. Not sure what the price difference would be if you didn't book through Princess.

The group of us really had a great time. Lots to drink;) and the food was very good.

Gargoyle999, I've enjoyed your posts all week as we prepare to sail on Saturday. Each day, I would think about what I will be doing this time next week, at sea, or in PV, etc. Glad to hear you left Cabo on time, means we'll probably be boarding and sailing on time!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and safe travels home...

Had our half day in Cabo today. Went for breakfast at the buffet at 7am and about 7:45 headed to deck 7 to get our tender ticket. After getting our ticket we sat down for oh about 10 seconds when they called our number. So headed down to the tender. They were using lifeboats and some local tender boats. We ended up on one of the local tender boats. Water was fairly calm so not much a problem getting on the tender. About a 10 minute ride and we were at the pier on shore.

We were sailing on the Yael on an independent excursion. Normally it sails from 10a-1p but since we needed to be back for the last tender no later than 1p they changed the time to 9a-noon. After we got off the tender we just followed the boardwalk alog the marina keeping the water on our right. It was about a 20 minute leisurely walk and we were at dock F, our meeting point.

Cabo seems to be a town slow to get going in the morning. Maybe too many drinks at the Cabo Wabo every night! We were at our meeting point about 8:05a and were not meeting the Yael crew until 8:45a. We walked around a little but nothing was open yet! Found some outside seating by a Burger King (they were not open, neither was a nearby Starbucks) but hung out there in the shade until 8:40a. Walked back over to dock F and a minute later some others showed up for the trip. A couple minutes later the crew showed up and we headed on board. It was only myself, DW and another family of 4. So six total. It’s nice that they don’t cancel the trip if they don’t have a full sailing. At $57pp, they aren’t making a lot of money sailing with only six people!

Normally they would be all setup when we boarded, but possibly due to the earlier time, they had trouble getting the bread they would use later on so they apologized for that. We left on time and headed out to our snorkel spot. They have an open bar and some chips, salsa, finger sandwiches. About 10 minutes later we were at Pelican Rock. DW was first in the water and I was second. We were given an hour to snorkel. I was trying out new snorkel gear for the first time and I had some issues with my snorkel vest. We headed over to a little beach, got out and made some adjustments. Back in the water and on to the snorkeling.

There was a lot of fish and the water was clear and warm. Really nice actually. The only problem is that a lot of the glass bottom boats that bring people around go right through the area were you are trying to snorkel, so you have to spend a lot of time looking up so you don’t get run over. But it was a nice area and we saw a lot of fish, some were very colorful. Unfortunately, after half an hour everyone but me was back on the Yael! I stayed out another 10 minutes then headed back reluctantly as I didn’t want everyone waiting for me for too long. I could have stayed out there a lot longer.

After snorkeling, they take you sightseeing around the coast and you get up pretty close to the Arch then head around to the Pacific Ocean and do a little sailing. It wasn’t too windy though they did put up a sail. I think they had the motor going the entire time however. After some sailing you turn back around and head back towards the Arch. One nice thing I didn’t know was that they take you back to the tender pier, not the dock where you board. So that was very convenient! We walked around the little Mercado there and picked up some souvenirs.

It was about 12:15pm when we got in line for the tender. It was maybe a 15 minute wait and we were on the tender lifeboat back to the Sapphire. Again, fairly calm, and no problem getting back on the ship.

We are a bit tired and decided to just order room service and skip formal night tonight. So will have a relaxing night staying in. We set the clocks back one hour tonight!

Overall I enjoyed our excursion but you are really in and out of there pretty quickly. Sadly, we only have one more day to go…

There was a lot of fish and the water was clear and warm. Really nice actually. The only problem is that a lot of the glass bottom boats that bring people around go right through the area were you are trying to snorkel, so you have to spend a lot of time looking up so you don’t get run over. But it was a nice area and we saw a lot of fish, some were very colorful. Unfortunately, after half an hour everyone but me was back on the Yael! I stayed out another 10 minutes then headed back reluctantly as I didn’t want everyone waiting for me for too long. I could have stayed out there a lot longer.

After snorkeling, they take you sightseeing around the coast and you get up pretty close to the Arch then head around to the Pacific Ocean and do a little sailing. It wasn’t too windy though they did put up a sail. I think they had the motor going the entire time however. After some sailing you turn back around and head back towards the Arch. One nice thing I didn’t know was that they take you back to the tender pier, not the dock where you board. So that was very convenient! We walked around the little Mercado there and picked up some souvenirs.

It was about 12:15pm when we got in line for the tender. It was maybe a 15 minute wait and we were on the tender lifeboat back to the Sapphire. Again, fairly calm, and no problem getting back on the ship.

We are a bit tired and decided to just order room service and skip formal night tonight. So will have a relaxing night staying in. We set the clocks back one hour tonight!

Overall I enjoyed our excursion but you are really in and out of there pretty quickly. Sadly, we only have one more day to go…

i LOVE reading your entries gargoyle999!!! its been exactly 1month to the day that i was on the same trip as you, and i miss it so! i feel like i am living vicariously through your entries :D

Next we were told to go to the activity beach to meet up for the Sea Lion so we ate fast then headed over there. Turns out we could have taken our time. It took maybe another 45 minutes for them to round up the other people doing the Sea Lion thing. DW and I just grabbed some chairs on the beach and hung out. Once they gathered everyone up we went up to check out for snorkel gear. DW and I have our own masks and snorkel so only checked out fins and a flotation device. When all geared up Arturo took us out to the platform were we met the Sea Lion – “Litibu”.

It was a lot of fun. We were out there probably close to the 40 minutes they advertise. Everyone gets some kisses and gets to pet him as he swims around. Guess he is from some sort of zoo and lives with about 10 other Sea Lions, so it’s not as though he is just living in cage only to come out for us Gringos. Gets lots of fish and certainly seems well fed. So once that was over we just floated around in the water for awhile. It was pretty murky and had some algae or something floating on the surface with the occasional piece of debris floating past. I tried not to think about that. DW went back to the beach but I hung out there bobbing around for quite awhile.

I can see what people mean when they say it is structured. You can go out into the water swimming whenever you want, but they took people to snorkel at a certain time (we didn’t do that because it was so murky) and had to wait to kayak until the snorkelers get back, etc. Then after kayaking was the nature walk. It was only about 30 minutes again led by Emilio but he seemed pretty knowledgeable about the large spiders he showed us and the plants and flowers. Of course my camera batteries died just at the start of it, so I did not get any pictures but it was fun. It is not too strenuous, but does go up a lot to begin with so keep that in mind of wanting to do it.

Awesome details - thanks!! Surprised about the murky water - that's too bad! Glad you are having fun... today must be Cabo!

I was with gargoyle999 on the tour. I concur - it was a great tour and Frank is #1.

At Tony's - I had the combo plate and a "chocolate Milk" and my bill was under $15.

While gargoyle999 enjoyed the beach - a few of us went for a Massage that Frank arranged - it was one of the best I ever had.

Tom

About cranberry juice. Since we ate at the buffet today and will do so again tomorrow I won’t know until Friday morning. I think we will order room service that day so I’ll let you know then. I haven’t seen it listed on any menu though so I will be surprised if it shows up…

We had no problem ordering cranberry juice in the dining room during the Halloween sailing. It definitely isn't Ocean Spray... quite a bit more "concentrated", but yummy nonetheless. Oh, and we penciled it in on our Continental Breakfast door-hanger and it was delivered with no problem.

We had no problem ordering cranberry juice in the dining room during the Halloween sailing. It definitely isn't Ocean Spray... quite a bit more "concentrated", but yummy nonetheless. Oh, and we penciled it in on our Continental Breakfast door-hanger and it was delivered with no problem.

We went to the buffet today so didn't try to order for room service. But I did ask the guy by the juices at the buffet and cranberry juice is available. You have to ask for it though even at the buffet. So go ahead and pencil it in! :)

A lazy day at sea today. Went for breakfast in the buffet. Now just waking up from a nap! :)

Wish us luck tomorrow. We have an 11:15am flight from Long Beach and the earliest we can get off without doing the self walk off is 8:40am. DW is all stressed out about us making the flight. Guess we'll see....I think we'll be ok.

Bought two FCC's today! :D

Going to Sterling's for our last supper tonight!

Archived