review of NCL jewel with 2 kids (2.5yrs and 7 months)

apax

first cruise not only with kids, but ever.

Would definitely cruise again.

As for the diapers. Some people are really anal. No adult ever went in the kids pool. So they really should not care what happens in the kids pool. Most parents agree that a swim diaper with a water proof swim underwear and then a bathing suit is enough to protect against germs. But people without kids don't understand that.

If kids were frolicking in the adult section and no one was doing anything about it, I can see how someone would get mad.

One day, I went to go sit in the hottub and one of the adult hot tubs was full of kids. Also once I was relaxing in the hot tub with my eyes closed and someone kept touching my feet. I opened my eyes and a kid like age 3 with water wings was in there playing RIGHT next to me.

I was like where are your parents,...that can get annoying as well.

Oh well. All in all a great cruise.

Apax

First cruise? You did some nice ports for a first cruise. :D

Well, have fun planning the next one.

And I read the part about your 2.5 year old really not loving the kids club. My oldest (now 8), her first cruise was on NCL too. I can't tell you how many times I was paged back. Pretty much as soon as I dropped her off, the pages would start. :(

But I can tell you, her younger sister never wanted to leave Camp Carnival at age 2 and 3. But I was paged for her this year when she was 4 on Disney.

So it may well have been the club and not your daughter. ;)

Some clubs are better for younger kids. I personally think Camp Carnival is the best for 2 and 3 year olds. But that is my unscientific opinion. ;)

is camp carnival on rccl? how is rccl for kids? we are thinking next cruise will be princess or RCL?

thoughts

apax

Camp Carnival is on Carnival. ;)

Adventure Ocean is on RCL. That program is nice too. I just don't like the way the counselors were when my youngest was 3. They expected wayyy too much out of a 3 year old. We'll see how they do with her now that she is 4. ;)

As for the diapers. Some people are really anal. No adult ever went in the kids pool. So they really should not care what happens in the kids pool. Most parents agree that a swim diaper with a water proof swim underwear and then a bathing suit is enough to protect against germs. But people without kids don't understand that.

And what if one those swim diapers exploded in the kids pool and exposed some of the other children to ecoli? Then what? Do you think only adults can get ecoli infections? Little children and the elderly and sick are the most suspectible. MOST parents would not be very understanding then.....and what if I was a parent that didn't approve of the swim diapers the rest of you thought were ok? Should my potty trained child not be able to use the kids pool? After all, we paid for the cruise too - you are essentially robbing me and my child of what we paid to have access too.

I guess I can't figure out what part of no diapers allowed parents and adults with incontinence problems have understanding

If kids were frolicking in the adult section and no one was doing anything about it, I can see how someone would get mad.

One day, I went to go sit in the hottub and one of the adult hot tubs was full of kids. Also once I was relaxing in the hot tub with my eyes closed and someone kept touching my feet. I opened my eyes and a kid like age 3 with water wings was in there playing RIGHT next to me.

I was like where are your parents,...that can get annoying as well.

Oh well. All in all a great cruise.

Apax

You may not care and the other parents on your cruise may not care, but the CDC sure as heck does! The cruise line is liable and responsible for everything on the ship. It most certainly is their business and the business of the other pax on the cruise. There are very specific rules regarding the types of pools and filtration systems that can be used where children go in wearing swim diapers. I am boggled that anyone still thinks that swim diapers can keep in or swim suits can keep out germs. Yes, swim diapers can keep in solid matter. Germs (bacteria and viruses) are not solid matter. They are very happy to slip right out of those swim diapers and past those cloth bathing suits, contaminate the water, and infect others. You say "most parents agree" with you. I really don't care unless every one of those parents has a medical or similar degree and is an actual expert who knows the facts.

I'm even sorrier to hear that the cruise line is not enforcing the regulations (these aren't "suggestions"; these are CDC requirements). What you describe is one reason we don't go in the ships pools or hottubs. When 20 kids and 2 adults end up with serious infections traced to swim diapers being allowed in that pool, I bet you and all those other thoughtless parents will be right there blaming the cruise line. (Yes, I am a parent, so don't bother calling me a kid hater because I do love kids and don't tell me I have no ideas about raising a family because I've done it.)

Young children are among the most susceptible to serious infection and health risks from things such as e-coli and other water-borne pathogens. It matters not at all that no adults went in that pool while you were there. Were you there 24/7? The germs don't leave just because you do. What you are calling the "kids pool" where the slide is (if you are refering to the one on the main pool deck) is actually an "everybody" or "family" pool. That is to say that adults are in fact allowed in it and it is not just for kids.

But thanks for letting us know that the cruise line isn't doing its job and that some people still have no concerns for the other pax onboard.

beachchick

I think Apax is talking about the baby pool near the kids' center. It's only a few inches deep and has a tiny slide for the kiddos. It's intended to be a baby/toddler pool. Any parent that puts their kid in that pool should assume that babies have been in there with swim diapers on and access the risks. We always just watch our kids closely to make sure nothing goes in their mouths and wash their bodies right away.

I agree that swim diapers shouldn't be in the regular pools, but I don't understand why people get so upset about non-potty trained babies using the baby pool. It's not like you're going to swim in it, so why do you care? :rolleyes:

exactly as JMB says.

So all of you who have a problem with it, i really don't care. If you believe no potty trained kids pee in normal pools you are sadly mistaken. Also some people do not wipe properly and may contaminate normal pools anyways. So I wish you would simply chill out.

It is a kids pool. So go relax in your adult pool and enjoy your cruise. If your potty trained kid is playing in the kids pool, I would hope he/she is not peeing, and I hope he wipes well.

I usually stay clear of this topic, as it is repeated quite often on the boards. As a mom of three, I've been in the situation where 1 or 2 of my children could get in the pool and the 3rd could not.(Life is hard sometimes) As much as I would have liked to let my little one in, we followed the posted rules. My problem with your comment is your lack of respect for the rules. We're trying to teach our children to follow the rules, what message do you send if you see no problem in breaking them? Your comment about "not wiping" is very unreasonable. There IS a huge difference between that and a swim diaper, that does leak and good tear, or break easily. Sorry, but when we cruise this December, I will speak up if I see this happening. Rules are made for a reason. Janice

Honestly, I will also speak up if I see swim diapers next week on the Star....my daughter has had a staph infection, and it is NOT pretty....and guess how she got it? Hmmm... swimming pool?

She's almost 4 and always gets out and asks to be taken to the potty...I don't think she has ever pee'd in a pool....

Breaking the rules, and letting your children see that is just wrong....I wonder if you will put wedges in their shoes at an amusement park so they can ride a ride they aren't tall enough for....or lie and say "She's 2" when she's really 3 and needs to pay for the park? Every thing we do with our kids is a life lesson and lying isn't one I wish to teach my children.

I'm a rule follower, too, but I didn't think any rules were broken. I think the OP was saying that it was a baby/toddler pool and NCL was allowing the swim diapers. I've been on many cruises where swim diapers were allowed in the baby pool.

I'm a rule follower, too, but I didn't think any rules were broken. I think the OP was saying that it was a baby/toddler pool and NCL was allowing the swim diapers. I've been on many cruises where swim diapers were allowed in the baby pool.

No, actually, NCL does not have a ship that allows an infant in the pool, even the children's pool.

If you have been on "many cruises" that allowed it. Then you must have been on 1 of 4 RCI ships or the 2 Disney ships.

Just because the crew members look the other way does not mean there is no rule. ;) That's why there is always confusion about this.

Taken from the NCL site...

Are there any pool regulations?

According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or jacuzzis, including those marketed as "swimmers."

BTW - peeing in the pool is not the problem. Urine is sterile unless the offender has a urinary tract or bladder infection. It is the poop that is the problem....and believe it or not, swim diapers are not fail proof! Germs are microscopic and do get washed out when the diaper gets wet.

As cruisinmama06 says, there are only 6 ships where children in swim diapers and not potty trained are allowed in one specific area of the ships pools: all the Freedom class ships of Royal Caribbean (Freedom, Liberty, Independence) a smaller RCCL ship (Enchantment) and the two Disney ships (Wonder and Magic).

Those may be the written policies, but I've only taken my kids on NCL and Princess and they have always told me it was ok (I always ask first). It's usually the kids' crew that I end up asking. So, just keep that in mind if you want to take your kids in the kiddie pool on these lines...they DO tell passengers it's ok.

Archived