Pacific jewel

The Fox

Hi,

i got an email from a well known cruise agent advertising the itineries and pricing for pacific jewel.For an inside cabin 7 nights prices start at $1399.00.It didnt stipulate if that was quad or twin.I know its 12 months away but if this is a 50% discounted price......whats :P&O gunna charge?We did the same cruise on pacific star ...noumea,vila lifou for 695.00.We are sailing on Dawn princess in may for 13 nights outside twin for 1449.00 and 7 ports on a comparable ship.even though i havent seen pacific jewel i cant believe it would be that much better than dawn princess.If i was princess cruises i would be relocating a ship to sail out of brisbane.I dont know why these fares are so high....maybe port fees are dear in QLD

cheers

Col:)

Hi,

i got an email from a well known cruise agent advertising the itineries and pricing for pacific jewel.For an inside cabin 7 nights prices start at $1399.00.It didnt stipulate if that was quad or twin.I know its 12 months away but if this is a 50% discounted price......whats :P&O gunna charge?We did the same cruise on pacific star ...noumea,vila lifou for 695.00.We are sailing on Dawn princess in may for 13 nights outside twin for 1449.00 and 7 ports on a comparable ship.even though i havent seen pacific jewel i cant believe it would be that much better than dawn princess.If i was princess cruises i would be relocating a ship to sail out of brisbane.I dont know why these fares are so high....maybe port fees are dear in QLD Col:)

Hi Col,

You have to compare "apples with apples". The $1,449 would be the brochure price on the Pacific Jewel whereas the prices on the other ships are specials. In the current P & O brochure, the 'price breaker' price for a 7 night cruise on the Pacific Sun, twin share inside cabin is between $1,475 and $1,625 depending on the time of year. P & O would be quoting the brochure (price breaker) price for the Pacific Jewel, but there will undoubtedly be specials as there are on the other ships. :):)

Evon.

:)

Hi Col,

You have to compare "apples with apples". The $1,449 would be the brochure price on the Pacific Jewel whereas the prices on the other ships are specials. In the current P & O brochure, the 'price breaker' price for a 7 night cruise on the Pacific Sun, twin share inside cabin is between $1,475 and $1,625 depending on the time of year. P & O would be quoting the brochure (price breaker) price for the Pacific Jewel, but there will undoubtedly be specials as there are on the other ships. :):)

Evon.

hi Evon,

they are quoting that price as a 50% discount.i agree the price may drop closer to time of sailing.however this price was from a cruise discounter not P&O who are traditional much higher with their brochure prices.either way pacific jewekl or pacific sun.....the price is high for a 7 nighter....3 ports inside at 199.85 per night.my 13 nighter ....outside 7 ports 111.46 per night

just my view ,as i said i havent seen the pacific jewel but i have seen the dawn princess and at 1449.00 outside cabin for 13 nites 7 ports i consider a real bargin.

chers

col

Hi Col,

Yes, you have a real bargain. The full price for your cabin is between $5135 and $5415 pp with the Price Breaker price $3594 to $3790. When your price of $1449 was advertised, it would have been as a percentage discount (maybe 72%) off the full price that no-one pays anyway. Similarly, I am suggesting that the Pacific Jewel prices, if advertised as 50% off could be a bit lower than the Price Breaker fare, but are not a very good special. They have to start somewhere, and it is interesting to see that specials are coming out so early. I would not take it as an indication that the Pacific Jewel will be more expensive than the other ships. Let's wait and see. :):)

Evon.

Hi Col,

Yes, you have a real bargain. The full price for your cabin is between $5135 and $5415 pp with the Price Breaker price $3594 to $3790. When your price of $1449 was advertised, it would have been as a percentage discount (maybe 72%) off the full price that no-one pays anyway. Similarly, I am suggesting that the Pacific Jewel prices, if advertised as 50% off could be a bit lower than the Price Breaker fare, but are not a very good special. They have to start somewhere, and it is interesting to see that specials are coming out so early. I would not take it as an indication that the Pacific Jewel will be more expensive than the other ships. Let's wait and see. :):)

Evon.

Hi Evon,

yep time will tell .i had another look at the email the brochure price was 2499.00 discounted to 1399.00.just typical cruise company advertising ...new ship ....catch the unwary.anyway any new ship is exciting and bound to stir up interest.what ever the prices it will be successful.

cheers

Col:)

Col,

I wonder if the dip in our dollar will lead to a base price increase on new itineraries as they are announced.

The competitive market would suggest it is a good time to wait for a special, rather that paying brochure fare 12 months ahead.

Col,

I wonder if the dip in our dollar will lead to a base price increase on new itineraries as they are announced.

The competitive market would suggest it is a good time to wait for a special, rather that paying brochure fare 12 months ahead.

Hi geoff,

how you goin? Mate i think your spot on.I had a look at another well known cruise agents site and for the exact cruise in jan 2010 the prices

inside 4 berth 729.00 o/s 4 berth 789.00 inside twin 1159.00 o/s twin 1279.00....no mention of balconies or suites.I guess im lucky that at my time of life i can wait on the specials and when they hit book and pay straight away.I reckon the early bird specials are great for those who need to save for the cruise....I can remember those days very well....working 3 jobs to afford to pay the mortgagee and cruise.....lets hope the cruise market continues to boom and we have more choices and more competitve prices.

cheers

col:)

Looks like we know how carn$val will recoup the millions they will have to spend refitting and rebranding her! If you read one of your colleagues posts earlier the main reason OV was ditched was because these old ships have very,very inefficient engines.

Fox - I see you have previously sailed on the fairxxxxx ships. OV1 which you inherit in Oct 2010 was originally built to be the Fairmajesty in the Sitmar fleet.

[quote=Single Cruiser;17198233.

Fox - I see you have previously sailed on the fairxxxxx ships. OV1 which you inherit in Oct 2010 was originally built to be the Fairmajesty in the Sitmar fleet.

That's interesting...I didn't know there were any other Fair ships to be released back then. OV1 is a fair bit bigger than the old Fairstar ;).

Hi What was this ship previously called???? Paul

The Pacific Jewel was being built for the Sitmar line and was to be named the FairMajesty. P & O/Princess bought Sitmar (mid 1989) so when the ship was launched in 1989 she was named the Star Princess. In 1997 she was transferred to P & O and renamed the Arcadia (the third ship to bear that name). In 2003 she was renamed the Ocean Village, sailing as one of the two ships owned by Ocean Villlage, a new subsidiary of Carnival aimed at the young market. Ocean Village (the company) is to close down and the ship's last voyage with the name Ocean Village will be in October 2009. She will be transferred to P & O and renamed Pacific Jewel. Undoubtedly she will be refurbished as other ships have been before starting a new life.

So many name changes make for an interesting history. :):):)

Evon.

The Pacific Jewel was being built for the Sitmar line and was to be named the FairMajesty. P & O/Princess bought Sitmar (mid 1989) so when the ship was launched in 1989 she was named the Star Princess. In 1997 she was transferred to P & O and renamed the Arcadia (the third ship to bear that name). In 2003 she was renamed the Ocean Village, sailing as one of the two ships owned by Ocean Villlage, a new subsidiary of Carnival aimed at the young market. Ocean Village (the company) is to close down and the ship's last voyage with the name Ocean Village will be in October 2009. She will be transferred to P & O and renamed Pacific Jewel. Undoubtedly she will be refurbished as other ships have been before starting a new life.

So many name changes make for an interesting history. :):):)

Evon.

Sorry but OV is the yet to be named one pacific xxxx the following year. You are getting the ships in reverse, the younger one Ocean Village 2 first and then the older (and my favourite which I'll be sailing on in 2009 and 2010!) in Oct 2010.

so It's Ocean Village 2 (Pacific Jewel)

Built - Fincantieri ship yard in 1990

Crown Princesss 1990-2002

Arosa Blu 2002-2003

Aida Blu 2004- 2007

Ocean Village 2 Apr 2007 - October 2009 (heavily refurbished/branded for casual crusing)

Pacific Jewel Dec 2009 -

And the other one is Ocean Village (Pacific ??????)

Built - Chantiers de l'atlantique 1988 (although didn't enter service until 1989 (originally designed to be FairMajesty and even as a Steamer!)

On purchase by P&O it was fitted with the same engine plant as was on the QE2 which was just being converted to diesel electric ('86) at that time!!

FairMajesty (not in service) - 1988

Star Princess - 1989 - 1997

P&O Arcadia 1997 -2003

Ocean Village 2003 - Oct 2010

Pacific ????? Dec 2010 -

Archived