Jet Lag

EVillExec

I have never been to SE ASIA. I have now booked my first trip but am concerned about the best way to avoid and/or recover from jet lag after a 15 hour trans-pacific flight across the international date line and I don't know how many time zones. What do experienced international fliers recommend?

I have never been to SE ASIA. I have now booked my first trip but am concerned about the best way to avoid and/or recover from jet lag after a 15 hour trans-pacific flight across the international date line and I don't know how many time zones. What do experienced international fliers recommend?

My business has required me to travel to Europe 2-3 times a year for the past 9 years.I also have had to travel frequently from the East to West Coast and from either point down to Brazil and back in 3 days time. I often have to conduct business on the day of arrival although I try not to. But it is not always up to me! These are my tips for combating jet lag to Hong Kong and enjoying your first day there without feeling like yesterdays mash potatoes! If you have a tip that works for you, chime in.

Get a good night's sleep
the night
before you travel
. To insure this, you MUST complete the bulk of your packing
a day earlier
and not the night before.

Adjust to your destination as soon as you get one the plane
this means set your watch to the current time at your d
estination and then have your meal served
in accordance with local time. It doesn
t matter if you are getting breakfast when it would be dinner
time
;
just try to eat when the locals eat. But it does mean that after breakfast you would relax and try to sleep.

Avoid late meals and alcohol
if within
hours of sleeping for the night.
However for me a
single glass of red wine
, especially port,
see
m
s to aid sleep

Try to sleep at take-off when gravitational forces and a shortage of fresh oxygen make ideal conditions for dozing off

A break in a long flight can help
Non-
stops are not always a blessing but on the long trans Pacific leg be sure you get up and walk the cabin at least twice and remain standing for at least 10-15 minutes

Request the cabin staff to serve your meal so you will be eating in accordance with your destination
time
;
I know this is easier said th
a
n done in coach, but ask
, especially if you are on Cathay Pacific or Singapore Air

Noise-cancellation headphones can block out noise and help you sleep on planes
I fall asleep with mine on and the classical music playing

Change clothes---I always bring a pair of sweats and pull over sweater. The physical act of changing out of street clothes helps me to psychologically get rea
dy for a longer sleep

I
take a
sleep aid on the plane but I am not a doct
or so I am not going to recommend anything beyond stating what I do personally
AFTER I have consulted my family doctor

Don
t stress if you can
t fall asleep.
Just accept it and tell
yourself “
I
will take
cat-naps when
ever
I
feel drowsy
. Just let go and be sure you break up your activity, read some, watch a movie, talk some

Upon arrival if it is daylight, try not going to sleep but g
o for walks in daytime and get plenty of sunlight
If you are very tired
take a nap of not more than 90 minutes before dinner
, eat early and then go to bed.

Going to Asia is even trickier for Jet Lag then going to Europe. I rely on the cabin attendant to help me adjust by befriending one of them early on. They often make the flight when they are returning to base and not working and will be the most expert as to telling you how to adjust within the limitation of their cabin service. Of course if you are not in coach you will have a greater opportunity to have your meals served in accordance with your wishes. I hope this helps.

We just returned from China. Flying over was not so bad: we left San Francisco at 10 in the morning and arrived in Beijing at 3:30 in the afternoon (the next day; 14 hour difference, crossing the international date line). By the time we checked into the hotel and had dinner, we were ready for bed and arose the next day ready to go.

It was coming back that was the problem. Our flight left Shanghai at 1:45 p.m. on a Monday; we arrived at San Francisco at 8:30 a.m., that same Monday. We then caught a flight to DFW (at 10:30), arriving at 4:00 that Monday afternoon. By the time we walked into our house we had been traveling for 24 hours.

It took my wife some ten days to readjust. She was literally going to sleep at 5 in the afternoon, and awaking at 1 o'clock at night. I adjusted a bit quicker, but it was surprising how long it took to adjust.

In short: you will do fine flying over to Asia. The trick is coming back.

Archived