Formal wear changes due to air lines

In the past we have always taken formal dress for nights on board.

In march we will be sailing r/c indy and taking a couple on their first time cruies.

We will be sitting at a table for just 4 .

With the limits on airlines we are going to take only nice dress slacks and dress shirts. No coat no suit no tie.

We have also gone on cruises that we did not go to the main dinning when we did not want to dress up for. But with this couple we do not want them to miss the fun of the main dinning room. I am sure we might get a few looks from some but i paid for the cruise as did my friends going with that is also why we have elected to sit alone. So i will be the one not in a tux but still dressed and having fun.

I have heard waiters tell people " oh just come you will not be turned away".

Replys??

In march we will be sailing r/c indy and taking a couple on their first time cruies.

With the limits on airlines we are going to take only nice dress slacks and dress shirts. No coat no suit no tie.

We have also gone on cruises that we did not go to the main dinning when we did not want to dress up for. But with this couple we do not want them to miss the fun of the main dinning room. I am sure we might get a few looks from some but i paid for the cruise as did my friends going with that is also why we have elected to sit alone. So i will be the one not in a tux but still dressed and having fun.

Replys??

Not sure what reply you want. You made a decision, go for it and enjoy. What is the purpose of the post?

No problem, and yes, it is pain to take extra clothing because of the stupid new rules - if you haven't flown lately, get ready for hell trying to find an empty spot in the overheads.

No matter how much a cruise tends toward formal (we just did a transatlantic with at least 50% tuxs) a proportion of people will be dressed neatly but not formally, and nobody cares. The formal night dressing is just a suggestion, no longer a rule.

A bit of a compromise might be to throw a tie on - the new couple may be more comfortable by a bit of conformity.

Sorry was wondering what everyones thoughts where??

With them limits for packing bags. I wondered if any one has seen a change in dress on board in the past year?? I understand some cruise lines have relaxed the dress code?

Thanks

Well regardless of any fashion police, I would tend to agree with PS Cruiser. As PSCruiser said, maybe add the tie since it doesn't take up any space....but again a choice you need to make.

We cruised Freedom in October and noticed it to be bit less formal atire on the respective nights. However you still saw most people dressed formally. As a sugestion if you are still wanting to take the extra clothes and save room, my wife bought the space savining vacuum bags. I told her she was nuts but she got all of our clothes, plenty of hers I will add, in two suite cases. The only problum we had was coming home with a slight weight issue. We just transfered some items and got along fine.

We have never brought formal clothes on the 12 plus cruises we have done. We occasionally will eat in the dining room. Normally we eat at the windjammer. You are right about the airlines making packing difficult. As a matter of fact we now take a small amount of clothing and send it out to be cleaned if necessary. It just makes traveling a little easier. You will not feel or be out of place with dress slacks and shirts. Lots of cruisers wear jeans to dinner. Have a good time.

Replys??

My hubby does the on-board tux rental and does not have to worry about packing a tux or the appropriate shoes. For me, the long black skirt and two sparkly tops do not weigh very much. There are ways if you really want to dress up...The tux rental with shirt and shoes is very reasonable - approx $90-$100.

I, too, have had waiters tell me not to worry about dressing formally. Just show up. I have also been with table mates who honestly forgot it was formal night and certainly were not turned away. (They were two older sisters who were traveling together and were quite embarrased at first. The waiter made them feel just fine.)

After many cruises, I am all over formal nights anyway. The luggage restrictions have further moved me away from them. I've already made ressies at Portofino for the first formal night on our Indy cruise. We'll either do Chops or eat pizza on the second one. I can't tell you how happy that made my two male traveling companions.

In the Fall we had this same problem with luggage & weight. My gown folded up small, but DH's suit was the problem. Instead he packed dark slacks, long sleeve shirt & ties. He looked fine and not out of place at all. I say, pack & wear a tie for the night. Leave the jacket home

Replys??

Wear your suit coat when you get on the plane - problem solved.

Someone else mentioned renting a tux prior to sailing. I agree that that is a good option which allieviates the packing problem and yet allows you to be dressed formally on formal nights. You can even rent shoes. I think you can rent women's formal wear as well, but formal gowns or pants and fancy tops aren't so bulky as a suit.

Someone else mentioned renting a tux prior to sailing. I agree that that is a good option which allieviates the packing problem and yet allows you to be dressed formally on formal nights. You can even rent shoes. I think you can rent women's formal wear as well, but formal gowns or pants and fancy tops aren't so bulky as a suit.

And if you don't wish to spend that much on a tux rental, you CAN take an extra bag for what, $20, or is it $50? Anyway, airline restrictions aren't much of an excuse really. They don't restrict you, you just have to pay a fee.

Having said that, have fun no matter what you wear.

I agree with Mark. Wear the Jacket on Plane and You are all set to go. Its ashame to see that little by little the Formal nights are slipping away. My hubby and I like to dress up the 2 nights. At home, today every thing is so informal. If the couple you are traveling with are dressing up, I think You would feel out of place in the formal dining room. That is just my opinion.

I know I will get flamed for this but... these are just my thoughts... not attacking anyone in particular... just tired of people's excuses and laziness.

If you do not want to get dressed for formal nights, then do not go to the dining room. You have options! Option 1... You can go to an alternate restaurant or to the buffet. Option 2... You can pick a cruise line that does not have formal nights. Option 3... You can order room service. Option 4... You can stay home. I am sure there are even more options.

Royal Caribbean offers formal nights as an "experience" and people who show up without proper attire are just plain too lazy and/or selfish to care about the other passengers who want to enjoy the tradition experience of the "formal night". Exercise your options if you do not want to participate but do not diminish everyone else's experience.

Ok, now you can get the popcorn, drinks and whatever else you want... let the show begin...

We are a family of four and have 13 day Alaske cruise/tour booked for next June. I know that we will have at least 2 suitcases for each person. There is no way each of us could pack everything into one bag each. so I just figured the extra $$ for the luggage into the budget so we dont have to worry about what not to take. Yes it's a bit more, but I'm not going to let the extra cost for luggage take away from the trip.

We always dress for formal night. It's something we enjoy about cruising. Pack thoughtfully about what else you wear (you don't need 7 pairs of shorts and tops for the day time in the caribbean) and put those formal clothes in the bag. If you don't want to dress up that's fine but don't say it's because of airline rules. We make it work all the time with 2 checked bags for 7 nights. Now for Alaska I can see a problem because winter clothes are bulkier or maybe for a longer cruise you will need more bags. We take more than we ever wear or use and still meet the airline rules. And for our coming 10 night cruise we will take a third bag if needed and budget for it.

Ah, CrusinMike, may I ask "what is the purpose of your post?"

You may ask but if I had to explain it you most likely will still be confused.

Let's just say if I said I'm going to do "X" and then say "Replys". What is it I want since I've decided already. Now if you noticed the OP explained and then I responded once again in reply to his more pointed question. But then you knew that already.

Archived