Formal wear changes due to air lines

I can easily see why, must be lowly down there in the holler.

quote]

Hey, I take offense to that!!! :D

Seriously, we do live in the holler, and have never been to a formal event. We are scrimping and saving (especially in today's economy) to take a trip of a lifetime to the Med, one we promised ourselves years ago. I will wear a nice dress and strappy sandels, DH will wear dark slacks and a tie (maybe a suit, I'll leave that up to him, I'm not going to tell him how to dress), and we will attend formal night in the MDR. For us, and where we come from, we will be "dressed to the nines." I serioiusly doubt we will diminish our fellow pax' cruise experience, and I'm sure I won't be offended when I see others in tuxes and ballgowns.

* I usually steer clear of controversial threads, but I just had to throw my two cents worth in here. Whew! Now that I'm getting the hang of it, will someone please point me to the next train wreck?

Until Royal Caribbean decides to follow NCL and not advertise formal nights, it will continue to be selfish, rude behavior for passengers to ignore the suggested attire. There are people that intentionally select a cruise line for the formal night experience and it's not up to the passengers to assume it's optional, regardless of RCCL's actions or lack of action.

As a point of clarification, NCL does advertise optional (i.e., suggested) formal nights and dedicates a main dining room for that purpose. In addition, NCL enforces a "no jeans" policy in one of the main dining rooms every night. Likewise, NCL has a fairly strict (i.e., enforced) "no shorts at dinner" policy in all of their main dining rooms and specialty dining venues. In that way, I think the biggest difference between NCL and RCI, in my experience, is that NCL seems to uniformly enforce their attire policies while RCI does not do so. Perhaps this is because "suggested = optional" (as some seem to think)? Or perhaps it's because some people are too lazy/selfish/whatever to follow the "suggested = required" rule? I'm not sure.

My wife and I are well-educated professionals who frequently attend social and business events requiring (either through demand or social convention) some form of "formal" dress. As such, we just tend to conform with the ship's guidelines or eat in an appropriate venue for our preferred attire. It's what we're socialized to do. That said, if I ran the world, all cruise lines would follow the NCL dining model, because that's what we prefer -- a more relaxed, resort casual feel which is less like our day-to-day lives (though we very much like RCI and select more for itinerary and dates than anything else).

Back to my original point, I don't know (or care) what "suggested" means. That is to say, I don't care what other people wear and don’t wish to be the fashion police. I believe it’s up to RCI to clarify and/or enforce their policies. But, speaking as a self-proclaimed and proud elitist, I'm often forced to keep myself from laughing at the selection of "formal" attire people opt to wear for these "special" nights. Far from looking elegant, many turn up looking like captives from a 1970s wedding, teenagers embarking on prom night, or "working professionals" of the street-walking sort. Given that, I’m also forced to wonder about ardent supporters of formal night too. Do they really think it’s so “special” or just enjoy the show?

quote]

Seriously, we do live in the holler, and have never been to a formal event. We are scrimping and saving (especially in today's economy) to take a trip of a lifetime to the Med, one we promised ourselves years ago. I will wear a nice dress and strappy sandels, DH will wear dark slacks and a tie (maybe a suit, I'll leave that up to him, I'm not going to tell him how to dress), and we will attend formal night in the MDR. For us, and where we come from, we will be "dressed to the nines." I serioiusly doubt we will diminish our fellow pax' cruise experience, and I'm sure I won't be offended when I see others in tuxes and ballgowns.

* I usually steer clear of controversial threads, but I just had to throw my two cents worth in here. Whew! Now that I'm getting the hang of it, will someone please point me to the next train wreck?

You go and have a great time, and enjoy.

Anyone has a problem with it tell them "I ain't no holler back girl, I ain't no holler back girl"

:)

I am sorry I will stop singing now .....I'm so ashamed :(

by its actions (or lack thereof), rci has quite clearly demonstrated what constitutes acceptable attire on formal nights on their ships. Since that's not likely to change in any direction other than less formal, i would suggest that anyone who finds it important that everyone dress formally on formal nights choose another line to sail on.

Exactly!!!

You go and have a great time, and enjoy.

Anyone has a problem with it tell them "I ain't no holler back girl, I ain't no holler back girl"

:)

I am sorry I will stop singing now .....I'm so ashamed :(

OMG! That's hilarious! I should see if I can change my user name to holler_back_girl!!!! :D:D:D

Now, I've got to go and find something to clean my monitor...spewed coffee all over it! (You had me singing, too)

You are right you are going to get flamed for this comment. I cruise plenty and usually bring too much clothes. Always bring something simple for formal night (no gowns or long skirts). My DH brings a suit. Here is the thing. I think the food in Windjammer stinks IMHO and would not go there for dinner. I have paid for a cruise and expect to be served in the dining room unless I choose to go to an alternative that I have to pay extra for. No one is saying jeans are for formal night but the majority of people on the Independence this summer in Europe were not formally dressed. If you want to enjoy the experience of dressing up, by all means you have that option. Just don't think people who don't are less than you and don't deserve to be in the dining room.

IMHO only.

I agree with you completely.

It amazes me when people who think they are the fashion police criticize others for what they're wearing and they think they are "selfish" for coming to the dining room instead of going to the buffet. What right do they have to tell anyone else to "either dress up or go to the buffet?" I think the fashion police are the selfish ones in trying to tell everyone else what to do and how to dress. None of their business.

Until the cruise lines make it mandatory for men to wear suits or tuxes, and for women to wear gowns, the passengers who think they are fashion police should mind their own business and quit harping about what other people should do.

It amazes me when people who think they are the fashion police criticize others for what they're wearing and they think they are "selfish" for coming to the dining room instead of going to the buffet. What right do they have to tell anyone else to "either dress up or go to the buffet?" I think the fashion police are the selfish ones in trying to tell everyone else what to do and how to dress. None of their business.

Until the cruise lines make it mandatory for men to wear suits or tuxes, and for women to wear gowns, the passengers who think they are fashion police should mind their own business and quit harping about what other people should do.

AMEN :)

Are the dining room staff allowing it ? Obviously in many cases yes

Are the cruise lines relaxing the dress codes? In many cases yes

Are the fashion police paying for my cruise? You can bet your sweet life NO THEY ARE NOT

You misss the point.

Minding other peoples business is what it's really all about for some folks.:D

You misss the point.

Minding other peoples business is what it's really all about for some folks.:D

I work with a woman who needs to be in everyones business like she needs air and water and food to survive. *LOL*

To the point If I asked you how your DH was doing , before you could answer, she will butt in, "I saw him at Home Depot last week and he told me his back was bothering him"

quote]

If you have saved for a trip of a lifetime why stop at the dress requirements. This trip should be more special since you are dressing differant from what you do at home. Besides you said you will waer a dress and strappy sandals...nothing wrong with that. Your husband should wear a suit coat at minimum. You can get suits at a second hand store.

People who use the airline restrictions to not dress formal are looking for excuses. We still pack the same tux and 2 formal dresses....sometimes formal pant outfit. They truly don't make that much difference. People need to watch the amount of other clothes they pack.

We are guests of the Captain and he suggests we wear formal clothes. Thata what we should do.

I know people will wear what they want and interpret the rules how they want. Its just a way to feel better about going against the rules.

Cruislines gave you options if you do not want to dress formal in the dining room. Use the options.

We are guests of the Captain and he suggests we wear formal clothes. Thata what we should do.

I am not a "guest" of anyone.

I paid RCI money to provide me a service.

Simple as that.

Also on my last cruise the Captain was a woman.

I guess what I should ask is, does the Captain really invite you cruise with him/her?

Does the Captain pick up the tab?

Just kidding.:D

If you have saved for a trip of a lifetime why stop at the dress requirements. This trip should be more special since you are dressing differant from what you do at home. Besides you said you will waer a dress and strappy sandals...nothing wrong with that. Your husband should wear a suit coat at minimum. You can get suits at a second hand store.

People who use the airline restrictions to not dress formal are looking for excuses. We still pack the same tux and 2 formal dresses....sometimes formal pant outfit. They truly don't make that much difference. People need to watch the amount of other clothes they pack.

I know people will wear what they want and interpret the rules how they want. Its just a way to feel better about going against the rules.

Cruislines gave you options if you do not want to dress formal in the dining room. Use the options.

Aaaaah, here we go. My husband OWNS a suit. Backwoods folks (and I use this term because a lot of people have that opinion of rural southern people) graduate, marry and die just like everybody else, and we dress accordingly. I did say in my post that I would leave his wardrobe decisions to him, and, believe me, slacks and a tie, or a sportscoat, or a suit, will definitelly be dressing different than we do at home. DH is cruising just for me, and I will not ask him to dress in any way other than that with which he is comfortable.

I am not a "guest" of anyone.

I paid RCI money to provide me a service.

Simple as that.

Also on my last cruise the Captain was a woman.

I guess what I should ask is, does the Captain really invite you cruise with him/her?

Does the Captain pick up the tab?

Just kidding.:D

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

If we are "guests" of the captain, then for goodness sakes why do we have to PAY for the cruise?! :D

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

If we are "guests" of the captain, then for goodness sakes why do we have to PAY for the cruise?! :D

Very bravado! I wonder how brave you would be if you were, in fact, invited to dine with the Captain on formal night. I think it would be clear that you were, in fact, guests of the Captain. Some of you people have no obvious social skills at all. What I am so thankful of, is that most of you post what your next cruise will be making it easy for me to avoid.

Peter

Very bravado! I wonder how brave you would be if you were, in fact, invited to dine with the Captain on formal night. I think it would be clear that you were, in fact, guests of the Captain. Some of you people have no obvious social skills at all. What I am so thankful of, is that most of you post what your next cruise will be making it easy for me to avoid.

Peter

Thats probably why they post them, to make sure you don't go on them . :)

Peter

If I were invited to dine with the Captain on ANY night, I would sit tall and proud, and beguile him with my southern accent. Bless your heart, don't y'all know you catch more files with honey than with vinegar?

Peter

Oh, Peter dear, you never cease to amuse, oops I mean amaze me with your posts!! :D

I never said I don't wear formal clothes to dinner on formal night. My husband wears a dark suit and tie and I wear a black cocktail dress, or a formal pants outfit. I just choose to not let what other people wear, or don't wear, bother me. They paid for their cruise just as I did. Live and let live. Worry about yourself and not so much about others.

Sitting at a table with strangers, to my left could be a man in a tuxedo and shiny black shoes. He could be the most obnoxious person in the world. At my right could be a man wearing khaki slacks and a Hawaiian shirt. He could be the most polite person in the world. Maybe you would prefer to chat with the obnoxious idiot in the tuxedo, but I would prefer to chat with the pleasant man in slacks and Hawaiian shirt. What a person wears has no bearing on the amount of social skills they may have, or may lack.

And if the captain invited my husband and myself to dine at his table, and we accepted, then yes, we would be most definitely his guests at dinner. But we are not his guests on the cruise since we pay for it.

Peter, do you really pay so much attention to when others are cruising so you can avoid them if they choose not to dress the way you want them to? Amazing, really.

Peter

And being well dress does NOT give anyone, class, manners or socal skills.

I read so many really mean nasty post from folks who claim to be well-dressed.

Any idea why?

And yes I have sat at the Captains table, big deal.

They can be quite amusing.

I second that. Why-because you only read the drama here on a message board. This is the only place it happens.

Not once-have I been on a cruise ship-and while dining someplace other then the MDR on formal night did I hear about an uproar in the dining room between a bunch of ladies in ball gowns pounding the daylights out of some men in dockers.

Man-I'd pay to see that. Wonder how the gang from the 'holler' would do in that match..........................................:p

He was referring to sitting at the Captain's Table aboard a Royal Caribbean vessel, not a garbage scow out of Embarcadero Marina Park...

I think he was not impressed with eating at the captains table - give him a break.

I use to live next to a captain of a cruise ship. Nice guy, but I would not be overly impressed by having dinner with him on the ship. I am sure he would have invited me if I had wanted to cruise his ship, like I said he was a nice guy.

Look!

I was in the Navy for 22 years and while sitting at the Captain's Table aboard a Royal Caribbean vessel may be a big deal to some it's not to me.

Sorry.

I really think most of this is sort of funny. I don't really think most people take threads like this very serious. Do they:confused:

A cruise ship dress guideline is not real serious thing in my opinion.

But it's fun to poke a stick around threads like this and get folks all stirred up.:D

Some are best are a pair of shorts in the MDR= the end of the world.

And how about anything less then a tux= brain dead slob, don't cruise MY cruise line.

Archived