Drink prices on Wind Star

marycang

I would appreciate an update on what is in the cabin’s mini-bar and if you are charged for snacks and drinks. We were on the Wind Spirit a few years ago . But I can’t recall how that was handled.

Also in the current Foremast brochure they refer to beverage packages. Example: Wine, Beer and Soft Drink package is $38.00 per person per day. So, I would appreciate if anyone who has sailed recently could give me what the prices were for a glass of wine, a beer, and a soft drink.

That seems kind of high to me if you are off the ship doing tours during the day. They do have a package for wine with dinner for $18.00 per day per person. Any thoughts???

Mary

We just signed up for the full package. $45 per person per day +15 % gratuity. When you take into consideration they bill you the 15% gratuity upfront, its not a bad deal, includes all bottle water, sodas, minibar, beer, wine, premium liquor. Compare this to Regent which includes this, Windstar's rates even when you add this on are a much better value.

Found out they issue you a card you show the bartender. Seems pretty hassle free. My only concern is with the up-front tip, will the service suffer? I plan on as always tipping extra to the ones that provide top service. Hopefully my liver can survive this for one week......

We're just off the Windsurf (great time!). I wasn't aware of these package deals, but here is some info. Beer (domestic) was $4.95 per bottle (+15%). House wine was $6.00 per glass (several kinds - quaffable). The wine by the glass was Generously poured. If I'd had 3 of those glasses with dinner I'd have been a bit over-wined (given the pre-dinner drinks, etc). So, I don't know that I'd go for the 18.00 per person for wine with dinner. Also, there were several very reasonably priced wines by the bottle. (and also MANY very expensive ones!) They will take away any wine you didn't finish and bring it back the next day for you. Mixed drinks were around $6-7. Pop/soda was very expensive, at $3.25 + 15% per can. We also bought large bottles of San Pellegrino for ~$6.50.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read your posting about the charge for various beverages on Windstar. It is outrageous. By the time you add that to the cruise price you would be better off on Seabourn. I have been on both lines and thought Windstar was great after I had cruised on RCC, then I tried Seabourn and there absolutely is no comparison. Prices on Seabourn are not that much more, especially on European itineraries, when you include the fact that there is no tipping, charge for alcohol, cabins are suites with tubs, walk-in closets, stocked bars in suite and the food is superior. While you sip your free drink at the bar do they ask you if you want a shrimp cocktail or caviar?

Edited by SusanNJ

Hmmmmm? Med cruise 2009 pricing from an internet site shows the following....Similar 7 night cruises.

May 10th Seabourn $3,209.00 pp

May 10th Windsurf $1,799.00 pp

$1,410 pp difference, $2,820 per couple difference. On Seabourn the "free" drinks are part of the fare. On Windstar you can now add $732.00 per couple including tip for a week of all inclusive beverages.

That leaves about a $2,000 per couple savings on Windstar even if you factor in the automatic gratuity on Windstar.

I'd put this towards business class air to Europe.

More plusses for Windstar include....

Service staff is top notch, none better in our eyes.

Now 4 restaurants to choose from on Windsurf....

Our experience on the Windsurf this past May was the best food and service of any cruise we've been on. It was better than what we experienced on Regent and Seadream.

We have not sailed Seabourn so I can't compare to them.

In 2 weeks we will be back on the Windsurf for our 4th time and really looking forward to it

......Maybe YOU should try Windstar instead.....

If you are a past traveller on Seabourn or any of the Carnival lines it qualifies you for special pricing. The cruise that I am going on this summer in the Med was priced at a hair over $3,000 per person. My agent gives me 10% back when I return. A similar cruise on Windstar was 2700. I do not have a cavaliar attitude especially in this economic envirnoment, I even considered cancelling the cruise. Both my husband and I are celebrating special birthdays and fortunately did not have investments with Bernie Madoff. Beyond a doubt Seabourn is a fairy tale experience with menu by Charlie Parker, free flowing drinks( alcoholic and non), big bathrooms, full windows or sliding doors, as well as a table for in suite dining and while the service is nice on Windstar does your cabin stewart give you a choice of Bulgari or Molton Brown toiletries?Once the cruise is over I go back to being a suburban housewife knowing for a week I was treated like a queen and my husband a king.

We traveled on Windstar in September '08 and found their drink prices to be very high but they have a captive crowd. And yes, they charge for the mini-bar. Our tab before leaving the ship was over $500.00 and that included mostly drinks. We sneaked liquor aboard which saved some money but be aware that they x-ray and metal detect each passanger every time you enter the ship. And they are not lookinf for bombs, just liquor so be careful.

Thanks for the information.

I'm not asking for you to be an accomplice, . . . but how might one bring some adult beverages on board. In a past cruise, many years ago, we filled a duffel bag with beer wine and soda and found it in our room with some beer and wine on ice.

At the end of the cruise we left the unconsumed bottles and cans with the steward who was thrilled.

The Windsurf brochure states you can bring wine on board to consume in your room or pay a corkage. What about beer, soda, and water?

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Wind Surf last week and brought wine, soda, and bottled water aboard with no problems. There was enough room in the mini bar fridge to put your own 6-pack of soft drinks + a bottle of wine without having to remove the stuff already in there.

There were also cocktail packages you could buy in the bars that basically gave you 4 drinks for the price of 3. There was a Grey Goose package, Cointreau, and I think Malibu rum and you could choose from 4-5 drinks in each category. Price ranged from about $21 to $33. They give you a sales slip with four circles drawn on it, and each time you get a drink they cross one off.

• 8 months later...
We traveled on Windstar in September '08 and found their drink prices to be very high but they have a captive crowd. And yes, they charge for the mini-bar. Our tab before leaving the ship was over $500.00 and that included mostly drinks. We sneaked liquor aboard which saved some money but be aware that they x-ray and metal detect each passanger every time you enter the ship. And they are not looking for bombs, just liquor so be careful.

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to ressurect it...

Just a question about the x-raying stuff for liquor.... if this is true, how do you get your own liquor on? We usually like to bring a little of our own booze on (personal preferences & all...); how likely is it that we'll run into a problem with this?

Any tips?

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to ressurect it...

Just a question about the x-raying stuff for liquor.... if this is true, how do you get your own liquor on? We usually like to bring a little of our own booze on (personal preferences & all...); how likely is it that we'll run into a problem with this?

Any tips?

Thanks!

There must be hundreds of threads on cruisecritic discussing smuggling liquor onboard. People put it in plastic mouthwash bottles, rum runners, etc. I can't tell you if you will be caught or not. IME, Windstar is not quite as "fanatic" as other lines in this regard, but I've never tried to smuggle any alcohol onboard; just brought the allowed wine. Perhaps someone will post who has done so.

Wow was I surprised to this old post of mine.

We have been on Windstar twice, the last time in May out of Nice, France. We have taken 3-4 bottles of wine onboard in our checked luggage. We pack it just before boarding the ship in the middle of the suitcase, so there is no danger of the bottles breaking. We have also bought a bottle of wine at a port and just carriy it on the ship when we re-board. Never had a problem.

I don't think Windstar is that fussy about importing wine or booze. My guess is that would rather have you has passenger rather than annoy you with taking away your booze.

I'm certainly glad to see this thread -- we'll be on Windstar in a few weeks, and we've been wondering about the liquor policies. When we first sailed on Windstar about 8 years ago, we were able to buy wine in ports and then drink it on deck -- it was lots of fun as other pax did this, too, and we had a wine-tasting party pretty much every night. On our next cruise a couple of years later, Windstar had changed the open policy, and we weren't able to bring our bottles on deck without a corkage fee.

From what I understand, we cannot bring bottles on deck at all now, corkage fee or not. Is that true?

Are we able to buy wine or other liquor in the ports and just bring it onboard to drink in our own room? Or must we smuggle it onboard?

If we have it in our room, can we pour a glass and bring it on deck?

I'm certainly glad to see this thread -- we'll be on Windstar in a few weeks, and we've been wondering about the liquor policies. When we first sailed on Windstar about 8 years ago, we were able to buy wine in ports and then drink it on deck -- it was lots of fun as other pax did this, too, and we had a wine-tasting party pretty much every night. On our next cruise a couple of years later, Windstar had changed the open policy, and we weren't able to bring our bottles on deck without a corkage fee.

From what I understand, we cannot bring bottles on deck at all now, corkage fee or not. Is that true?

Are we able to buy wine or other liquor in the ports and just bring it onboard to drink in our own room? Or must we smuggle it onboard?

If we have it in our room, can we pour a glass and bring it on deck?

We were on the Windstar this July and had no problem bringing our own wine up on deck and drinking it. We opened it in our cabin and just either asked for glasses, or brought them up with us. No one cares! Windstar allows unlimited wine and/or champagne, you are not allowed to bring other types of alcohol onboard for consumption.

When we cruised from St Thomas on Windstar a few years ago everyone was bringing bottles on board in carrier bags and an enterprising local person was ferrying passengers to the duty free stores in the dock so everyone could stock up.

In fact we have never had a problem with any cruise-line.

If you read some of the cruise-line terms and conditions you would think that anyone caught smuggling would be taken out on the deck and shot, hanged or both and at the same time. I have yet to see it happen

Thanks, 6rugrats and Hampshireland -- I'm so glad to hear that they're going to allow us to bring wines we buy onshore on deck for a sampling each evening. I think that's one of the really fun parts of the cruise, sitting on that glorious deck as we sail away, sipping a local wine. I'll risk being shot and hanged for that experience.

Interestingly, my parents tell a story often about how they were on a Windstar cruise (on either the Wind Star or Wind Spirit... they don't prefer the Wind Surf) a few years ago and there was a sign posted at the pool bar that said something like "no outside drinks allowed," meaning, you weren't supposed to pour yourself a drink in your cabin and bring it up to the deck... you were supposed to pay for a drink at the bar.

They report that early in the cruise, a gentleman challenged that "policy," and eventually the sign came down, never to be seen again that cruise.

As we are travelling on the Windsurf on the 29th November I asked Windstar for the current bar prices and to their credit they sent them to me.

Bacardi Cocktails

Any 4 Cocktails for just $24.00 or $7.75 each

Cosmopolitan Cocktail

Bacardi O and cranberry juice splashed with

Triple Sec, served chilled and straight up

Orange Crush

Bacardi O, club soda and Monin

Mandarin orange syrup

Secret Agent

Bacardi O, orange juice and sprite

Cuba Libre

Bacardi Gold, coca cola and

Garnished with a lime wedge

Mojito

Bacardi Light, Monin Mojito mint syrup, club soda, garnished with a fresh lime wedge and mint sprig

Strawberry Frozen Daiquiri

Bacardi Limon, sugar, strawberries and crushed ice

Scotch Whisky $5.25 *

Dewar’s J&B

Cutty Sark

Premium Scotch Whisky $6.25 *

Chivas Regal

Johnny Walker Black Label

Single Malt Whisky

Glenlivet Laphroaig $7.20

Macallan 12 $7.20

Irish Whiskey $5.25 *

Jameson

Bourbon Whiskey $5.25 *

Jim Beam

Premium Bourbon Whiskey

Jack Daniels$6.25 *

Knob Creek $7.20

Rye Whiskey $5.25 *

Seagram’s V.O. Canadian Club

Premium Rye Whiskey $6.25 *

Crown Royal

Tequila $5.25 *

Silver

Jose Cuervo $7.50

Cognac $5.75 *

Hennessy V.S. Martell V.S.

Premium Cognac $7.75

Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Rémy Martin V.S.O.P.

Kelt Cognac V.S.O.P. Martell V.S.O.P.

Super Premium Cognac $13.00

Rémy Martin X.O.

Deluxe Cognac $85.00

Rémy Martin Louis XIII

Aperitifs $5.75 *

Dubonnet Red Campari

Vermouth Pernod

Favorite Cocktails

Cocktails $6.50 *

Apricot Sour B-52

Bacardi Cocktail Black Russian

Bloody Mary Blue Lagoon

Brandy Alexander Cape Cod

Champagne Cocktail Old Fashioned

Yellow Bird Gimlet

Bay Breeze Grasshopper

Golden Cadillac Harvey Wall banger

Greyhound Kir

Kamikaze Madras

Mimosa Margarita

Manhattan Paralizer

Planter’s Punch Rob Roy

Rusty Nail Screw Driver

Sea Breeze Singapore Sling

Side Car Tequila Sunrise

Stinger Vodka Collins

Tom Collins Whiskey Sour

White Russian Wine Spritzer

Domestic Beer $4.95 *

Bud Light Miller Lite

Budweiser Coor’s Light

Imported Beer $5.95 *

Amstel Light Heineken

Corona Beck’s

Special Beer

Grolsch Premium Lager $6.75

Stella Artois $6.25 *

Carlsberg $6.25 *

Warsteiner $6.25 *

Heineken Draught Beer 250 ml $5.95 *

Pint $7.95

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Beck’s (Non-Alcoholic) $4.95 *

Selections marked with * are included in the Beverage Package

Cointreau Cocktails

Choose 4 Cocktails for just $21.00 or $7.20 each

Cosmopolitan

Cointreau, Absolut Vodka, cranberry

and lime juice shaken with ice in a martini glass

The Original Margarita

Cointreau, Tequila and fresh

lime juice shaken with ice in a martini glass

Goodnight Sip

Cointreau, freshly brewed chamomile, and a

drizzle of honey served hot.

Garnished with a lemon wedge

Champs Elysées

Cointreau poured into a Champagne

flute and filled with chilled Champagne

On Ice

Cointreau poured over ice with

fresh lime wedges and shaken vigorously.

Be Cointreauversial!

Martini Menu

Enjoy any 4 Grey Goose Martinis for only $33.00

or $9.75 each. (Served in 8oz glass)

Classic Grey Goose Martini

Grey Goose Vodka, hint of Vermouth,

garnished with an olive or lemon twist

French Cosmopolitan

Grey Goose L’Orange, Cointreau, dash

of cranberry juice, squeeze of fresh lime,

garnished with a lemon twist

Saké - Tini

Grey Goose Vodka, premium Haiku Saké,

garnished with a fine slice of cucumber

L’Orange Sea Breeze

Grey Goose L’Orange, cranberry juice,

grapefruit juice, garnished with lime wheel

Tropical - Tini

Grey Goose Vodka, Malibu Rum, pineapple juice,

garnished with pineapple slice

Vodka $5.25 *

Smirnoff – Stolichnaya - Skyy

Premium Vodka $6.25 *

Absolut Absolut Citron

Absolut Mandarin Finlandia

Super Premium Vodka $8.20

Ketel One Grey Goose

Grey Goose L’Orange Belvédère

Gin $5.25 *

Beefeater Tanqueray

Bombay Sapphire

Rum $5.25 *

Bacardi Gold Bacardi White

Bacardi Limon Bacardi “O” Myer’s Rum Malibu

Sherry $6.20 *

Harvey’s Bristol Cream

Tio Pepe Pale Dry

Cordials & Liqueurs $6.25 *

Amaretto di Saronno Anisette

Apricot Brandy Armagnac

Baileys Irish Cream B&B

Benedictine D.O.M. Calvados

Blackberry Brandy Cherry Brandy

Cointreau Sambuca

Crème de Banana Drambuie

Crème de Cacao Brown and White

Tia Maria Triple Sec

Crème de Menthe Green and White

Crème de Cassis Frangelico

Galliano Grand Marnier

Peach Schnapps Kahlua

PeppermintSchnapps Peter Heering

Southern Comfort

Premium Grand Marnier $12.95

Cuvée du Centenaire

Classic Cocktails $6.50 *

Martini Vodkatini

Gibson Manhattan

Exotic Cocktails $6.50 *

Piña Colada MaiTai

Frozen Margarita Chi Ch I

Frozen Daiquiri B B C

Bora-Bora Lagoon Kir Royale

Midori Colada Kahlua Colada

Special Cocktails$8.50

Long Island Iced teaWang-Wang

Grand Marnier Margaritas

Any 2 Cocktails for just $16.00 or $9.75 each

Grand Marnier Margarita

Tequila, Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge

with lime juice and sugar to taste

Millionaire’s Margarita

Tequila Cuervo Gold with Grand Marnier Cuvée du Centenaire and lime juice

Water Selection

Evian Liter $6.25 *

Pellegrino Liter $6.25 *

Evian 330 ml. $3.25 *

Perrier $3.25 *

Soft Drinks & Juices $3.25 *

Coca Cola Diet Coke

Sprite Orange Juice

Tonic Water Fruit Punch

Grapefruit Juice

Energy Drinks $3.95 *

Sugar Free Red Bull Red Bull

Port Wine Selection

Vinho do Porto 20 years old $15.00

Gran Cruz 10 years old $12.00

Fonseca Bin 27 $8.00

Burmester Tawny $7.50

Ferreira Ruby $7.25

Sandeman’s Ruby $7.25

Cigar Selection

Davidoff Grand Cru # 1 $27.00

Monte Cristo # 3 $13.00

Macanudo, Hampton Court $30.00

Davidoff Ambassadrice $10.00

Cifuentes Partagas #4 $10.00

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 $ 9.50

Romeo y Julieta Belicosos $40.00

Macanudo, Portofino Café $30.00

Arturo Fuente #4 Reserva $30.00

Cigarettes $4.00

Marlboro Regular

Marlboro Lights

Benson N Hedges Menthol

L & M

Selections marked with * are included in the Beverage Package

Thanks for the detailed info, Hampshirelad!

Question: I have seen (mainly in posts here) mention of "Beverage Packages." I cannot find anything about this on Windstar's website (not that it's the most useful website ever).

Can anyone confirm what the current prices/packages are? And/or any update for Spring of 2010?

Many thanks!

You certainly ask great questions, lkakers! I'd be very interested in the package prices, too. I see on the menu that you can buy a package of vodka martinis, but I don't see any for gin ones (which is what I like.) But actually, the cocktail prices seem fairly reasonable compared to the inflated prices for sodas and bottled water.

My hubby and I have cruised on many "floating cities" over the years - but since we started sailing our own boat 5 years ago - the big boats just don't quite do it for us anymore. We often are gazing at charter sailboats at ports (even visiting the marinas to talk to fellow sailors) and wishing we were on them. We did try to get a few other sailing mates to charter out of the Grenadines this winter, but no one is able to afford it, and I don't fancy doing it on my own as I do enjoy the aspect of larger cruises, and the many people we met onboard and have made long lasting friendships with over the years we've cruised . So, now I'm looking at Windstar as a possible inbetween sailing option (won't have to cook <lol>). Tho' I doubt we'll have any heeling like we would with a sailboat. Correct me if I'm wrong <lol>.

So, reading this thread has made me feel more comfortable with perhaps going ahead with booking our trip. All depends on how our present search on land here goes for our next sailboat (upgrading, we have '2 footitize') and if we can afford a trip down south (I will find away - had no winter break last year - and felt cheated).

Just curious if there anyone here that also owns a sailboat like ourselves and enjoys the pampering of a larger sailboat with Windstar?

Anna from Montreal aka FatCatAnna - The Trials and Tribulations of a Diabetic

Thanks for the detailed info, Hampshirelad!

Question: I have seen (mainly in posts here) mention of "Beverage Packages." I cannot find anything about this on Windstar's website (not that it's the most useful website ever).

Can anyone confirm what the current prices/packages are? And/or any update for Spring of 2010?

Many thanks!

Go to Windstar Extras, then choose Windstar Gift Shop:

http://www.windstarcruises.com/WindstarExtrasDetail.asp?frame=shopping

Thanks, Serendip & Rugrats.... I do know about the 4-cocktail packages and the gift wines, etc., but at earlier points in this thread, posters have mentioned drink packages (see below posts) and I wanted to know if these are posted anywhere... I haven't seen them in writing from Windstar, either online or in any of their mailings. I'd just like confirmation that thise packages are what's currently available, and that the prices are correct (and whether there are other options/combinations, etc.)

... in the current Foremast brochure they refer to beverage packages. Example: Wine, Beer and Soft Drink package is $38.00 per person per day. ... They do have a package for wine with dinner for $18.00 per day per person. Any thoughts???

We just signed up for the full package. $45 per person per day +15 % gratuity. When you take into consideration they bill you the 15% gratuity upfront, its not a bad deal, includes all bottle water, sodas, minibar, beer, wine, premium liquor. Compare this to Regent which includes this, Windstar's rates even when you add this on are a much better value.

Found out they issue you a card you show the bartender. Seems pretty hassle free.

Thanks, Serendip & Rugrats.... I do know about the 4-cocktail packages and the gift wines, etc., but at earlier points in this thread, posters have mentioned drink packages (see below posts) and I wanted to know if these are posted anywhere... I haven't seen them in writing from Windstar, either online or in any of their mailings. I'd just like confirmation that thise packages are what's currently available, and that the prices are correct (and whether there are other options/combinations, etc.)

You must note that the posters you are referencing, including the one stating they purchased a package for $45 per day that included wine, beer, premium liquor, water and soda, date back to 2008. I have been sailing on Windstar since 1988 and I don't remember ever seeing such a package, but admittedly, don't recall looking for one.

I don't believe any such package is currently available, though on the Windstar in July, after the second day or so, there was a sign up in the bar on the aft deck advertising soda packages. It was outrageously high; as I recall over $35 a day, but could have been more, don't remember.

Edited by 6rugrats