Photos from our 11/30 sailing on the Solstice

pierces

Ever read a pack of cigarettes?

Yes, you can warn of the dangers all you want but some people just ignore them. My post was intended for those who have never been to this beach - and don't know about the potential for injury but are smart enough to appreciate warnings when they are clearly marked.

Yes, you can warn of the dangers all you want but some people just ignore them. My post was intended for those who have never been to this beach - and don't know about the potential for injury but are smart enough to appreciate warnings when they are clearly marked.

Even with all the warning signs in the world, it's still incredible how many people will go ahead and do something silly and dangerous.

For every bone-head obvious warning sign out there, there was at least one maimed idiot who inspired it. Actually, it would amaze me if it was only one!

Maybe we should hide the signs and thin the herd? :D

Cheers!

Dave

Did you use a tripod for any of your shots? If so, did X hassle you at all, thinking, perhaps, that you were taking pictures for commercial purposes. Again, great shots.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

I only used the tripod once in the elevator to get the lights to blur as I went up and down one morning (early, early, early!) Everything else was hand held or with the "chair"-pod, "rail"-pod, or whatever else-pod I could lean on or brace against. The Sony has image stabilization at the sensor and it really works well.

Nobody from X gave me a second glance. I have a battery grip mounted on my A700 and with the 28-75 f/2.8 on it, it doesn't look very "point-and -shoot". Crew and officers would greet me with a cheery "good morning" and pass right by, sometimes adding, "nice camera". I can't imagine that they would mind the publicity they get from regular folks like me posting pictures. The photos linked here have gotten over 130,000 hits in less than a week! Lots of interest in that ship.

Dave

Great Pictures!

Glad you liked them!

What beach were you on with the plane so low?

Maho Beach on St. Maaten. It's right at the end of Princess Juliana International Airport...hence the great show!

Dave

Dave, I always enjoy your photography. My take on Solstice, based on what I'd seen of her from this armchair view, was that this was an impressive but rather cold ship. After viewing your pics, I've come to appreciate Solstice a bit more -- but in all honesty, still can't get past that "cold" feeling. We're not opposed to sailing this class, as I think it probably has to be experienced in person to be fully appreciated, but there are other new builds we'd choose first. Anyway thank you for continuing to share your work.

Here they are:

(Lots of ship photos in the sea-day galleries)

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/solstice08

What a ship! It definitely raises the bar for the rest of the industry.

Enjoy!

Dave

Dave,

Loved your photos! You are definitely like I am in that you appreciate detail. SOLSTICE was loaded with amazing detail and planning, and I agree this ship raises the bar. I was on the sailing directly after yours and it was pretty fantastic. I can't wait to sail on SOLSTICE again.

Ernie

Archived