Costa Maya - Cats Meow

CruiseFreak11

Hi all, So excited of all the progess in CM. Has anyone heard from the folks at the Cat's Meow? Are they opening? Are they going forward w/the resort? Headed back there in early spring. Lost contact w/Barbara... Anyone have any news? I am hearing that section of town is not as friendly as it once was. I love that place, and planned on giving it all up to go there one day....

Hi all, So excited of all the progess in CM. Has anyone heard from the folks at the Cat's Meow? Are they opening? Are they going forward w/the resort? Headed back there in early spring. Lost contact w/Barbara... Anyone have any news? I am hearing that section of town is not as friendly as it once was. I love that place, and planned on giving it all up to go there one day....

Last I heard, Cat's Meow did not reopen and Barbara moved back to Canada. Corolien has been posting on this board about meetings the town has been conducting with the local business people to correct the 'unfriendliness' and it seems to be working based on other posters' reports.

I wish Barb would reconsider and move back to Costa Maya to reopen the Cat's Meow. Visiting her before Dean was a day to remember and I was especially grateful to her for the work she was doing with all of the island's cats. She introduced me to So-So, her own cat, and then to a few others who had adopted her over the time she was living there. Since Dean I have to wonder if there are even any still surviving in the area. :(

Edited by spcl4cs_gal

• 3 years later...

Barbara and Brian are fine and doing well in BC Canada. They did not return after Dean because they did not own the building and the owner was not able to rebuild. They are considering a possible move to Panama, I think it is getting too cold for them again, so you never know. We might have the Cat's Meow Two! The new Mahahual is very nice and yes, most are very friendly. Many new places and most think your choices are better today than ever. Go into town and enjoy!

I still have my Cats Meow t shirt! I do not wear it too often as I know it has to last. Service was great; loved her place and her big kitty! Food was wonderful. It is not the same anymore; it was such a special place before Dean.

I cannot imagine still what it was like to be there for that storm.

Edited by Loucat
wrong name

• 6 years later...

Blue Water Dude, do you have Barbara & Brian’s new contact info? I used to live down the road from them when I first arrived to Mahahual in 2004-2005. They used to sell me fresh baked muffins every morning after I went scuba diving. This was before they started Cat’s Meow. I live in Vancouver now and I’d love to catch up with them. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2012 at 5:48 PM, blue water dude said:

Barbara and Brian are fine and doing well in BC Canada. They did not return after Dean because they did not own the building and the owner was not able to rebuild. They are considering a possible move to Panama, I think it is getting too cold for them again, so you never know. We might have the Cat's Meow Two! The new Mahahual is very nice and yes, most are very friendly. Many new places and most think your choices are better today than ever. Go into town and enjoy!

Blue Water Dude, do you still have contact with Barbara and Brian? I was just in Mahahual and it looks like their other property is being invaded by squatters. I'd like to notify them to take legal action before it is too late!