How do you pack wine safely?

lanoitarus

Im going on my first cruise this weekend, and since you apparently can bring a bottle of wine each, we want to do that.

However, im terrified of breakage. Since were flying down to florida and TSA has its silly 3 oz rule, we have to check the wine.... How do you all pack to avoid breakage? Right now im working with mailing tubes and a ton of bubble wrap, but im still afraid. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

Why don't you buy the wine in Florida, instead of taking it on the plane? Also, unless your tastes require expensive bottled wine, you could purchase boxed wine. They sell it in the liquor stores there or I've also heard that they sell it in Target.

Why don't you buy the wine in Florida, instead of taking it on the plane? Also, unless your tastes require expensive bottled wine, you could purchase boxed wine. They sell it in the liquor stores there or I've also heard that they sell it in Target.

The problem with buying it in florida is that im worried enough about making our connection, and it would require getting the cab to wait even if we were perfectly on time without issue. Plus I dont know the area or where to find a liquor store. I dont think its really worth the effort over two $20 bottles of wine. But if i can figure out how to pack them safely now, i would do that.

The problem with buying it in florida is that im worried enough about making our connection, and it would require getting the cab to wait even if we were perfectly on time without issue. Plus I dont know the area or where to find a liquor store. I dont think its really worth the effort over two $20 bottles of wine. But if i can figure out how to pack them safely now, i would do that.

Here is an idea that might help. Post a thread asking if you can purchase wine at your embarkment port. I know that in San Juan there is a store right in the embarkment terminal. I hope this helps, Kaboochi

Here is an idea that might help. Post a thread asking if you can purchase wine at your embarkment port. I know that in San Juan there is a store right in the embarkment terminal. I hope this helps, Kaboochi

or i should have made it a how-do-you-pack-your-smuggled-liquor post, those get way more attention :p

We've wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it (one bottle in each) in those big 2 gallon ziploc bags, then packed it in checked luggage... in a good cushy spot in bag.

I didnt know they made ziplocs that big... that could be a great lifeline, thanks for the tip!

Right now ive got two layers of bubble wrap surrounded inside a large packing tube tahts slightly longer than the wine bottles... makes the whole thing huge, but thats ok because my issue with checked bags right now is weight not size.

Well if you had more time you could build a carrier out of a carpet tube like I did.

Rolls of carpet come rolled around a paper tube in the center. Get one of these tubes. They are like 8' long. Make sure it's inside diameter is larger than the bottle of wine you are going to use it for. Cut several lengths of the tube approximately 3" longer than the wine bottle. Using the first tube, as a guide, cut one of the other tubes length wise so you can cut away a small amount of the second tube (length wise) so it will slip down inside the first tube. When it fits properly secure it with glue. Continue cutting and gluing other tubes until your wine bottle fits snuggly inside.

When I do mine I end up with a tube that is approximately 1/2 thick.:D

Next cut out a piece of cardboard the same diameter as the inside of the tube you have glued together. I use a couple of pieces of double thickness cardboard for extra strength. Glue the cardboard, flush, into one end of the glued up tube. Make another cardboard piece like like the one you glued in. In the center, of this second piece of cardboard, make a hole the same size as the neck of your wine bottle. Slip this second piece of cardboard down, into the tube you glued up, until it rests on the shoulder of the wine bottle. The second piece of cardboard needs to fit fairly tightly as it keeps the wine bottle from moving.

I pack 2 of these, in checked luggage, and have never had a problem. I believe you could drive a truck over them and not break the bottles!:eek:

Pictures posted in case someone wants to make one.

Dan

CIMG0162.jpg.f6c63ec199dd54d18abef4cf63b4bf00.jpg

CIMG0163.jpg.553548e2ce7b7a46e5588ca797866520.jpg

I haven't packed wine for a cruise, but I have packed it for our move back to the states from Germany. I had my whole wine collection is a HUGE suitcase. I wasn't going to let the movers touch it! Anyhow, what I did was get some bubble wrap for mailing (not the huge bubbles, the small ones) and started wrapping. I made sure I got the top and bottom covered and then wrapped all the seals with the plastic packing tape. I took those wrapped bottles and wrapped them in layers of clothing. We had no breaks and no leaks. You probably won't have to put them in tons of layers of tubes and things. Just go around with the bubble wrap a few times and cushion them really well with the clothing.

Liz

You can also search on the web- someone makes wine packing kits. Although they aren't much more than bubble wrap and plastic bags, if I remember correctly. The last time I packed wine I just simply put it in the middle of my bag in a plastic bag, and prayed. All was well. I guess the prayers worked.

I didnt know they made ziplocs that big... that could be a great lifeline, thanks for the tip!

Right now ive got two layers of bubble wrap surrounded inside a large packing tube tahts slightly longer than the wine bottles... makes the whole thing huge, but thats ok because my issue with checked bags right now is weight not size.

You are going to end up adding enough weight to your luggage that the $20 bottles of wine are going to cost more in over weight luggage fess than they are worth.

If you are flying into Florida and your connection is so close that you are worried about making the ship (that is what it sounds like) forget the wine. If you have time have the cab driver stop at a grocery store and go in and buy the wine. You are only adding 10 minutes or so to the transfer.

I dont think its really worth the effort over two $20 bottles of wine. But if i can figure out how to pack them safely now, i would do that.

I have another suggestion for you. Since you are so worried about breakage, and since you apparently don't have the time to buy wine in Florida, why not just order the wine from Carnival's Bon Voyage Dept.? You can get bottles as cheap as $24.25 from them and they will be waiting in your stateroom. That way, you won't have to worry during your entire flight whether they've broken in your suitcase.

Here's a link to the Bon Voyage Department's items and prices:

http://carnival.com/cms/images/Bvfxfr08A.pdf

I have packed wine in my checked luggage numerous times. I use bubble wrap (the stuff with the one inch bubbles). I'll wrap it in two layers. Then I'll use packing tape to keep the bubble wrap from coming off. Then, as a backup, I'll put the wine in a 2 gallon ziplock bag. I have carried up to 6 bottles of wine in one checked suitcase. I've never had a problem.

Well if you had more time you could build a carrier out of a carpet tube like I did. Rolls of carpet come rolled around a paper tube in the center. Get one of these tubes. They are like 8' long. Make sure it's inside diameter is larger than the bottle of wine you are going to use it for. Cut several lengths of the tube approximately 3" longer than the wine bottle. Using the first tube, as a guide, cut one of the other tubes length wise so you can cut away a small amount of the second tube (length wise) so it will slip down inside the first tube. When it fits properly secure it with glue. Continue cutting and gluing other tubes until your wine bottle fits snuggly inside. When I do mine I end up with a tube that is approximately 1/2thick.:D Next cut out a piece of cardboard the same diameter as the inside of the tube you have glued together. I use a couple of pieces of double thickness cardboard for extra strength. Glue the cardboard, flush, into one end of the glued up tube. Make another cardboard piece like like the one you glued in. In the center, of this second piece of cardboard, make a hole the same size as the neck of your wine bottle. Slip this second piece of cardboard down, into the tube you glued up, until it rests on the shoulder of the wine bottle. The second piece of cardboard needs to fit fairly tightly as it keeps the wine bottle from moving. I pack 2 of these, in checked luggage, and have never had a problem. I believe you could drive a truck over them and not break the bottles!:eek: Pictures posted in case someone wants to make one.

Wow, this is so detailed and you'd only have to make these once, they're reuseable. Thank you for the information and idea! I can use this process for something else, besides cruising. :D

Archived