Any other "cheap" must-do's in Coz?

karlanee

Our family of 4 will be going to Cozumel in January (Jan. 17 we arrive in Coz). Our daughters are 9 and 11. We will be in port from 9 am to Midnight. Here is what we have planned.

We plan to try and get in on the Atlantis Submarine excursion. After that we will hopefully be dropped off in San Miguel for shopping. If not, we'll take a cab to town. We plan to look around at shops and stuff and then also we are going to do mini-golf at Cozumel Mini-Golf. We'll do lunch somewhere - we all love Mexican - any recommendations? I've heard good things about Pancho's. If we feel like it, we'll take a cab down to Paradise Beach to hang out the afternoon there. For supper, we plan to go back on board the ship to eat (and save money). We'll be doing Xcaret the next day in Playa del Carmen. Any other must do things that are cheap in Coz? Keep in mind my DH is very paranoid about missing the ship and going on our own and is also not very adventurous - so we won't be doing any jeep drives around the island or anything like that. I keep telling him - they aren't leaving until midnight what are the chances we'll go anywhere that we'd get lost for that long? Plus, we'll probably be on board by 9 at the latest, if we get back off after supper.

Thanks in advance!

While Pancho's Backyard is very good, it's not cheap. As an alternative, if you are here on a weekday, try Sabores for lunch. Five dollars per person will get you a choice of two soups and a choice of about 15 entrees which change daily, a pitcher of the day's "juice", which is usually Jamaica, a fruity iced tea made by steeping dried hibiscus blossoms, and fresh tortillas. The cuisine is Yucatecan, very flavorful and a little more varied than "authentic Mexican". You can sit indoors or in the large garden out back. It's will give your girls a better taste of the real Mexico. Located on 5 Avenida between Calle 3 and Calle 5, it's easy walking distance from the minigolf.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the idea of the museum - I'm hoping my dh will be open to things. We may have to rethink our day since we found out yesterday on the boards that the Atlantis thing is like $85 for adults and $55 for kids. We haven't decided for sure yet.

Thanks again

Just went there last Wed. Food was delicious, we found it inexpensive, we ordered chicken nachos, one plate was big enough for 2 people. We each had a coke and the bill was 10.00....also an added plus for you, there is a small sandy beach right off their patio if you want to relax a bit from your big day....We were at Puerta Maya Pier and this was all within walking distance...Pancho's adjoins Los Cincos Soles,which is the biggest shopping store we saw there.Have fun.....I would love to go back!......Nightingail.

I second the Sabores recommendation. It is actually a restaurant set up in a family home. You are led through a small dining room through the kitchen to a pleasantly shaded back yard. The bathroom is the family's bathroom. My wife and I ate there last week. We had soup, entree, tortillas, and a pitcher of punch for $8 apiece. The waitress did not speak English and we did not speak Spanish, so through hand gestures and nods we allowed her to bring her recommended dishes. Very light, not spicy, fish and shrimp dishes. We were glad we strayed from the more well-known places.

There are 2 Pancho's Backyards and 2 Cinco Soles. One set is located along Melgar (the main road in town) and the other set is located at Puerta Maya pier that is about 4 miles from downtown.

The price at Sabores SHOULD be $40 pesos a person. I go quite often and am planning on taking a friend from the Fascination there in about an hour. This is the price I have always paid. It equates to alittle less than $4 a person for the entire meal.

I've been thinking about shrimp since yesterday. Had such a craving that I went last night to eat at a fabulous, local, cheap seafood place on 65th but no shrimp. Had to make do with incredible caracol (fried conch). Huge plate for $80 pesos (about $7.20 us). But I still have shrimp on the brain. Might have to go get a shrimp torta for breakfast on way out to Paradise Beach this morning. The blue truck parked on the street across from the TMM pier has excellent food...fried shrimp torta with yummy grilled onions is $30 pesos (about $2.65 us). Very safe to eat there.

• 1 year later...
[quote name='sdwrdt']Since these are almost 2 years old - is that restaurant still around after Wilma? Sounds great if it is![/quote] Sabores made it thru Emily in July, and I would hope it made it thru Wilma as well since it's not on the waterfront. It's directly across the street from Villa Las Ancles where we stayed the week after Emily. The food was amazing, and so inexpensive you almost feel guilty! we plan to stop there for lunch our next trip, in just a few weeks.

Archived