Review AOS 10/31-11/07 Very Long

Just returned from a wonderful vacation. I will try and put as much of my experience here and any questions I will try to answer.

We took RCI air, because we found it to be as good a price as we could get from Providence to SJU.

Arrived in San Juan about 4pm, we had to pick up our own luggage and then drag it wilth us to the awaiting buses that were a good distance away. ( 1/8 mile), not easy for anyone older or with trouble walking. I did not see a porter around. Luggage was loaded onto a truck and we never saw it again until it arrived at our room.

Being a platuim member we had prioirty boarding but this was not necessary because there was no line, we went through the boarding process and were on board in about 5 minutes.

Our cabin was 1660 10th floor aft and it was perfect for 2 close to the pool deck and Windjammer. We had brought a change of clothes with us in the flight bag so we changed and went off to explore. Our friends had never been on a cruise before and were simply speechless.

We went to first seating dinner, everyone was with our party so we had no need for introductions, I think we were rushed alittle thru dessert this night to get to the rescue drill. It was very rainy, went to the first show and it like all but one of the week was excellant. It was very rainy and the sail away party had to be moved inside. Having been up since 4:30 AM and not real interested in seeing the parade down the promanade again we opted for bed.

Monday: Sea day, we went to the solaruim, no chair hogs although it was quite full at the pool that day but somewhat cloudy.

Missed cruise critic party because I was at BINGo and it did not get over until 5:15 and CC party was at 5. I would think possibly a better time could have been found.

Tuesday: Aruba we rented a jeep on our own and set out to explore the island, got to see the desert areas as well as where people live. returned to ship for lunch at Johnny Rockets: yes they charged $3.95 per person but as much food as you want. then back off the ship for the beach. We returned to the ship for dinner and stayed on for the ice show which was better than last 2 I have seen.

Wednesday: Curacao, Our intention was to walk around the island and then take an indepentant tour but the heavans opened and it rained about 2 inches in 1 hour. They say they only get 20 " of rain a year normally but have had alot of rain everyday for about 2 weeks, so we returned to the ship and sat on our deck for rest of afternoon

Thursday:

Seaday again and second formal night: we were invited to a classical recital and reception as platuim and diamond members after dinner and it was very well done and well received . again excellant show after

Friday :

St Martin we shopped and shopped and shopped in AM my friend I think bought every piece of jewerly she could get her hands on! In the afternoon we attended the ship sponsered beach bash to Oreint Beach it included chairs and free rum punch and on the return we were given a short tour by the driver weather was great the water was rough but I like it that way and as my husband said his eyes still heard from all the sites! There was alot of toplessness and some full nudity right on the beach and we did not venture to end of beach to see this. This nights show I did not care for at all it was the RCI dancers and it was the first time to perform but I felt it was like watching MTV too funcky and loud for my taste or anyone over 20 I think

Saturday:

St. Thomas No trouble with customs, we ate in main dining room( only breakfast there) and about 9am went to deck 5 went right thru with no wait time at all. Went to Magan Bay swimming on our own in morning then shopped in afternoon. had lunch in Cocanuts off front street great little place run by people from Mass.

Sunday: out of room by 8am to windjammer which was only time i had trouble finding a seat, then to Lyric Theather for about 30 mins off ship and at airport by 10:30

Food:I thought for most meals the food was good. There were little things I could pull apart if I really wanted to be picky. I like ice with my wine almost every night I had to ask for it. I got the wine package so they knew I would have a couple of glasses each night. My husband and i are big bread eaters and everynight we had to ask for more rolls. Like I said I am re4ally being picky here to find things. The cherries jubillee and baked alaska came out on a plate and no one even did a show, but a can't remember if they did last time either. I asked for lobster and prime rib and ended up with 2 meals they said we could not just get a lobster tail but I ate both so that was ok. No more celebratory cakes unless you pay for one.

We ate most breakfast and lunches in the Windjammer food was about same as always but fine for me if I am not making it or having to clean up

Portofinos: Had never dined here on past trips: The service and food was what cruising used to be never a minute was our champagne glasses empty then they were refilled and I think they brought bread 3 times.

I know I was alittle concerned about past reviews i had read about the ship being mostly spanish speaking people. I did not find this to be true at a show the CD mentioned there were 600 people from PR on board. There was a lounge on the 4th floor by the stairs that nightly played Latin Music ( it was very noisey there) but other than a Latin Night on deck we opted to miss I really had not complaints. I think 1 day the hot tub had about 20 people in it and it became quite loud, but I was heading to my room at that time anyway

I guess this covers it if any questions please feel free to ask

Hi, great review. I have one question, we are on the AOS 12/12/2004 and just received our docs yesterday. The docs say to place our bag tags on our checked luggage before leaving our home airport; yet I know that we have to claim our luggage from the carousel and take it to the transportation.

What did you do about your luggage tags? The only benefit I can see is if one of your bags gets lost, it might make it easier for the airlines and RCCL to find.

I would appreciate any and all opinions on this. On past cruises, we claimed our luggage and then put the ships' tags on.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

Very nice trip report.. My family and I will be sailing on the EOS on next year.

We were just wondering if they did anything special for Halloween on your cruise? If so, what did they do?

Oh yes, I'm from Rhode Island too.. My wife and I live in Atlanta now.

Ron & Von

Great review. My husband and I will be sailing the AOS on 12.5.04. We were thinking about renting a jeep in Aruba so I wanted to ask you some questions about that.

1- How much did you pay?

2- What kind of a hold do they put on your credit card?

3- What company did you use? Did you make reservations before hand or did you just get one when you got off the ship?

4- What time did you rent the jeep? Where there other ships in port that day?

5- Did you find it difficult to drive off road? Did you get stuck? Did the rental company give you map of the island and where all the sights were. Did you have any problems locating the sites?

6- What time did the jeep have to be back?

Thanks, Heidi

Heidi

We did not make arrangements to rent the jeep before Just got off ship and asked first car rental place who had jeeps and were directed to the lot. I think it was Atlantic. They had several tracker styles but my husband is comfortable driving a jeep because we used to own one. We found driving easy and just headed in the direction out of city. The areas was really very dry in most spots but as we got closer to the ocean there were puddles. We had no problem, but did see a young couple with a tracker stuck in mud but several others got out and pushed them. We rented the jeep about 9 and had to have it back for 5 it cost $100 and I think 15 for insurance which i decided to take out because of being out of country. Just left imprint of CC and then they charged it when we returned.

Just 2 ships in port when we were there

Anything else let me know

Julie

Hi Julie-

Thanks for the review. We're on AOS in three weeks on the same itinerary, and can't wait!!

Quick question for you about Johnny Rocket's...does the $3.95 charge that RCCL now charges include the milkshakes? Or are the milkshakes additional?

Lynne

Welcome home to RI. Could you give me some info about your flights... airlines and times?

Also, do you feel that this cruise was worth the effort of getting from RI to San Juan and back or would it be more worthwhile to find a departure from Florida.

Thanks for any input.

Archived