Can you check in luggage and not get on the boat?

bdiddy

Absolutely. Not a problem. Just be aware that staterooms are not ready until 1-1:30pm if you want to drop off your carry-ins at your room.

You can even drop off your checked luggage without checking-in. Just remember to leave time to check-in once you get back to the ship.

No matter what remember to be back at the ship before the boarding cut-off time (usually 1.5 hours before departure).

You should try to make as full of use of the ship as you can--boarding day is the 1st day of the cruise you've paid for! It's a shame not to get any use from it on the 1st day!

But as much is the embarkation port the "first port of call" and might be worth touring;). The ship is not the main destination for everybody.

We plan to do this in April for Serenade. We get into San Juan really early on a flight from our week in STT, so we are going to drop our luggage off, spend a few hours in OSJ and still check in on the ship by early afternoon. We normally get on the ship as soon as possible, but haven't been to OSJ in a couple of years, so want to spend a little time there also before we head to check in and relaxing up by the pool.

Thank you for your replies! I didn't realize you can get on at 1-1:30 for an 8pm sailing. If that is the case then we will probably just get on the boat...(oops I mean ship :p) as soon as we can.

If everything goes right, boarding usually begins between 11 and 12 in most ports. Officially boarding begins between 1 and 2pm in most ports.

We've done it before, with NCL. As long as you don't just drop off you luggage and leave, there will be no problem with you checking in, then come back later.

This is not true. You can drop off your bags, properly tagged with the porters, anytime and do not have to be boarding the ship. I've dropped off bags at 9am, and they always made it to my cabin. I never am in a rush to get on any ship and frequently check in the last hour allowed.

I DO always tip the porters. I've done this in several ports- NY, Boston, Seattle, Vancouver, Southampton, Sydney- all in the past year +.

Archived