Rccl sells but will not let you use it on board

Like many have said, a few years ago RC let you buy bottled liquor from the ship's store plus a $12.95 consumption fee per bottle and drink it in your cabin. However, a few idiots who haven't gotten over their frat partying days ruined it for everyone. You also used to be able to bring a few bottles of wine onboard (forgot the limit - not a wine drinker) and consume them in the dining room for a $12 corkage fee or no corkage fee in your cabin. Again, those days are gone.

The good news is my onboard expenses have gone down since RC quit selling liquor for in-room consumption. We would buy a bottle or two for the cabin (depending on length of cruise) and make our own drinks for the balcony or hubby would have a before-dinner cocktail while waiting on me to get dressed. Most of the time now, we decide it isn't worth it to have to run downstairs to a bar, stand around waiting to get a drink, then either carry it back to the cabin or drink it in the bar.

I haven't noticed that RC charges more for their drinks than bars around Houston. I like daquiris and most restaurants here charge $7-$9 for them. RC was charging $8 + tip in May.

HAL does allow purchase of bottled liquor for in-room consumption. It is a little pricey, but we'll probably get a bottle on our cruise because of the convenience.

RCCL beer price is comparable to a hotel bar. But, bringing beer to your hotel room is cheaper. This is where the difference lies. You can purchase and bring beer to your hotel room. You can't purchase and bring beer to your cabin.

Sure you can, once you're onboard...I've always bought a bucket of beers at any one of the bars and brought it back to our cabin. The steward even replaced the ice @ turndown when we didn't finish all of them before dinner one night. Yea, its not the same as hitting the grocery store before but you can still have beer in your room!

RCCL beer price is comparable to a hotel bar. But, bringing beer to your hotel room is cheaper. This is where the difference lies. You can purchase and bring beer to your hotel room. You can't purchase and bring beer to your cabin.

Where did you get that one.

Who would stop you, LOL

I don't find RCI's price for top shelf drinks to be expensive at all. They are about the same as the bars here in Washington. I find NYC and San Francisco, and most hotel bars, to be more expensive. I just returned from a business trip to San Francisco. The hotel charged $12 for a Grey Goose & soda, $16 for a martini.

Archived