Muster/Fire Drill

cruisekenny

Hi,

I've noticed a lot of good advice on this board so I thought I'd ask for your help on this one. My husband and I are taking our then 9-month-old daughter on the Carnival Glory in January. My husband has never been on a cruise before and I've been on one once, about 8 years ago. From that experience I remembered that there would be a fire/muster drill that would probably involve an extremely loud alarm and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with having an infant in that situation and how they reacted to it. Our daughter is very easygoing and doesn't flinch at fire trucks and ambulances but I remember finding the sound to be much more intense than that so I'm curious about how it will affect her. We were going to bring some soundproof baby headphones but unfortunately, the person I was going to borrow them from needs them that week.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice would be greatly appreciated! :-D

We are just off the Glory with our kids (ages 3 and 15 month old twins).

The Muster Drill was a little hard, mainly because the kids hated their life vests. There is one lound siren and my three year old was a little scared about the loud speaker (but he quickly warmed up to the Cruise Director speaking on it). They do dismiss people early who have kids or any special needs - but not early enough to beat the crowd. It was all over within 15 minutes though.

The hardest part was holding the kids with their jackets on while you are also wearing your jacket. I would advise not putting on any jackets until the last minute when you are already standing in place.

They also did one crew drill while we were on board that had a loud siren, but nothing damaging.

I agree! The worse part of muster (mustard and ketchup drill) is the vests, especially on Independence of the Seas! They had the neck vice things

that my 8 year old was 'playing with' the whole time of muster. We just tried to make it light and let her know we could not leave for the ocean until everyone on the ship put one on!:);)

Archived