On the Pearl - Wheelchairs?

Firinggirl

We are sailing with the entire family on the Pearl on March 1st. Do they have wheelchairs on board or do we need carry one with us onboard. The reason I'm asking my DFL just had surgery on his knee he probably doesn't need one all the time but not sure how he'll be in March. Maybe just one if he has to walk along way? Is it possible just to get one on board?

One other question if there are WC can you take them off the ship?

Sandy

I believe that out of Miami, they will have rentals available on the ship, through an outside agency. They are not cheap. I don't know about being able to take them off the ship.

Here is related information from the NCL website FAQ:

What about guests with special needs?

NCL welcomes guests with special needs. Of course, we may require advance notice in order to accommodate them, so they must advise NCL's Group Event Coordinator Department of their needs at least three weeks prior to their cruise.

All of our ships have designated staterooms with wider doorways and bathrooms that will accommodate wheelchairs and staterooms with lights and under-pillow vibrating alarms for guests with hearing impairments. Guide dogs are permitted on all NCL ships. Many staterooms have refrigerators that can be used to store medications that must be kept cold. Guests who use wheelchairs must provide their own.

As of 9/1/07, NCL has signed an exclusivity contract with Care Vacations to be the sole supplier for oxygen and mobility services. They will be the only company allowed to deliver and supply all mobility aid equipment including standard (non-motorized) wheelchairs and electric equipment (scooters), oxygen equipment for use during the cruise or tour to those guests who pre-arrange the service with Care Vacations. Please note, liquid oxygen is not permitted on any NCL or NCLA vessel nor will be supplied by the vendor under any circumstance. Please have our guests contact Care Vacations at 1-877-478-7827 to make arrangements.

I rented one of these chairs out to a passenger once and I think it was somewhere between $100-$150 for the week. It doesn't matter if you buy it on day 1 or the last day. They are very light weight and fold up for easy storage. You can bring them off the ship also.

We are sailing with the entire family on the Pearl on March 1st. Do they have wheelchairs on board or do we need carry one with us onboard. The reason I'm asking my DFL just had surgery on his knee he probably doesn't need one all the time but not sure how he'll be in March. Maybe just one if he has to walk along way? Is it possible just to get one on board?

One other question if there are WC can you take them off the ship?

Sandy

Usually there are wheelchairs on board, but generally the cruise lines won't let you use them the entire time. They're intended for "emergencies" -- helping people on/off the ship who otherwise walk, or for folks who might get injuried while on the cruise (turn an ankle, break an ankle, that sort of thing). What happened when I was on the Jewel was that a person who wanted to use one would have to call the "front desk" and request it be brought to where she was, and then she'd be pushed to where she wanted to go, and be dropped off, the chair taken away, and brought back when she'd call again, later. Pretty inconvenient.

You can rent a manual chair for pretty cheap from a lot of stores, and take it with you, or go the CareVacation route (although they're pretty expensive). There is a disabled cruiser message board on this site where you might want to inquire about this, too.

I hope that by March his knee will be well-mended and you won't need to consider this!

You must bring your own or rent one from whichever agency the cruiseline has approved for that purpose and you must do this before you cruise not on it.

I strongly suggest you visit the disability forum on here for maximum information.

Also know that a lot of excursions will not be accessible to someone in a WC and many cannot transport even folding one. I am dealing with trying to get correct info for my Cruise to Mexico this Saturday. NCL is worthless as far as this information goes.

I rented one of these chairs out to a passenger once and I think it was somewhere between $100-$150 for the week. It doesn't matter if you buy it on day 1 or the last day. They are very light weight and fold up for easy storage. You can bring them off the ship also.

For that price just a suggestion if you are arriving early before your cruise and have the time you might want to look into finding a salvation army, thrift store etc... and just buy one. I see them all the time up here for under $50.00 even some pretty nice ones.

Archived