Packing Alcohol

cruiser881438

What is the best way to pack alcohol without it breaking? I will be staying at a hotel for 3 nights before a cruise on the Disney Wonder and will not have a rental car or acess to a store selling alcohol so I will need to bring it in my checked luggage from home. I am worried about it breaking and am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to secure it safely in luggage.

We are sailing on the Magic on 12/27 and I was concerned about that, too. I found a product on-line called Wine Skin which is literally bubble wrap in heavy plastic that seals across the top after you put the bottle in. That way if it does happen to break the mess will be sealed up and won't ruin all your curisewear! If anyone's interested I'll report back as to how they did. :)

How can this not be taken the wrong way. There is nothing wrong with brining a bottle of wine on board. I dont thing the OP asked about bringing a liquor cabinet for a week long drunk fest.

Don't take this the wrong way but I hope none of you are on my cruise.

We are sailing on the Magic on 12/27 and I was concerned about that, too. I found a product on-line called Wine Skin which is literally bubble wrap in heavy plastic that seals across the top after you put the bottle in. That way if it does happen to break the mess will be sealed up and won't ruin all your curisewear! If anyone's interested I'll report back as to how they did. :)

Please let me know how they work / cost / link. Have a wonderful cruise. What a great holiday treat.

• 2 weeks later...

Our family just returned from the 12/20 Christmas cruise and we brought a half-case of wine onboard with us. We had a special bottle that we always share, that we opened on Christmas eve, and a different one on Christmas Day during dinner. We bring our own wine on because A. We are picky B. We can bring on wine we like, pay the $18 corkage fee at dinner and not spend $200-$300 to enjoy it (with the wine mark-ups by DCL). We transported it in a box with a 6 bottle stryofoam bottom and top container that fit snuggly over the bottles allowing for no moment. I purchased this for less than $10 from a packing supply store. Then I wrapped the stryofoam container in an extra-strong contractors bag and triple taped it - then put it in the box and wrapped the box in the same kind of bag and put it in a small suitcase that just barely fit the box. Our wine flew from Philly with no problems and we were glad to have done it - and we had an empty suitcase to take things home in :D

Disney is one of the few cruise line that DOES allow alcohol onboard - you just can't consume any you buy onboard at the duty free shop - they give it to you at the end of the cruise

We went on a 7 day cruise for my friends wedding(not on disney). Needless to say it was an exciting week without my beautiful boys. Anyway we bought those travel shampoo bottles and empty water bottles and put them in ziplocks and put them between our clothes in our suitcase. We had a really good week. LOL.

I just picked up some of these for my last trip and they work GREAT. they are called Rumrunners, the are kinda like the plastic bladders you would find ina camel back, they fold flat when not in use and security didnt even bat a eye going through. go to there website http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com they have all sorts of different combos you can use. and there cust service is great, I ordered at 11 pm i got a e-mail from them at 3 am stating my order was leaving that morning and sure enough 2 days later there they were. oh and when ordering use the coupon code REPEAT it gets you 10-15 % off. also search CC for these I found out abt them on here and have hardly ever read a bad review abt them.

I just picked up some of these for my last trip and they work GREAT. they are called Rumrunners, the are kinda like the plastic bladders you would find ina camel back, they fold flat when not in use and security didnt even bat a eye going through. go to there website www.rumrunnerflasks.com they have all sorts of different combos you can use. and there cust service is great, I ordered at 11 pm i got a e-mail from them at 3 am stating my order was leaving that morning and sure enough 2 days later there they were. oh and when ordering use the coupon code REPEAT it gets you 10-15 % off. also search CC for these I found out abt them on here and have hardly ever read a bad review abt them.

These work well for smuggling liquor onboard ships that doesn't allow it. But they are unnecessary on DCL in that you can walk aboard with bottles. If you're concerned about breakage, a Nalgene or other polycarbonate bottle would be less expensive and pretty close to unbreakable.

What we do on other cruises is empty out a 6 pack of coke or sprite bottles and pour our alcohol in it...that way there is no chance of any breakage...it works well for wine(hey, I know it might not look classy, but at least it doesnt risk breaks!) I usually bring a big bookbag and put about 6 bottles of sprite or coke filled with my favorite wine or drink...we have never had a problem :)

We just returned from the 12/27 Magic Western and had packed a bottle of Champagne in a Wineskin, which I found on-line. It worked great! Not broken and we had a chance to chill it before casting off and could toast to the trip and the New Year!

P.S. So glad Ugen was not on this trip!!!;)

What we do on other cruises is empty out a 6 pack of coke or sprite bottles and pour our alcohol in it...that way there is no chance of any breakage...it works well for wine(hey, I know it might not look classy, but at least it doesnt risk breaks!) I usually bring a big bookbag and put about 6 bottles of sprite or coke filled with my favorite wine or drink...we have never had a problem :)

As previously mentioned there is no need to smuggle alcohol onto DCL, they allow all the alcohol you care to carry on with you.

When we pack glass bottles to fly, we put them in bubble wrap and then in an insulated cooler bag and that all goes into a 2 gallon ziploc bag. I've flown back with wine from Australia and it made it fine and just last week brought back wine and hot sauce from AZ with no problems.

• 7 months later...

The Wineskins can be easily ordered from the So Cal Rep!! He will ship out 5 or 10 packs much cheaper than the online stores! I think he was $30 for a 10 pack shipped anywhere in the US. I found him on eBay but he is not currently on there now. A month ago, his email was dan@boxvendor.com. He shipped me from Torrance, CA.

From DCL website

"Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $15.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage."

If you are staying at the Port for 3 days before your cruise I'm sure you could purchase your liquor somewhere close by or like others suggested at the airport.

Bubble wrap and baggies usually suffice. I often bring along 18 beer's. 9 cruise's, and none have ruptured during flight, and handeling. Bring what you want, pack it right, and you'll be fine. You can clean and wash if something ruptures, and you can alway's restock at the next Port. Disney is the most liberal with BYOB. Pack it, enjoy it, and share it, if needed. Enjoy your cruise. Metrowon

Don't take this the wrong way but I hope none of you are on my cruise.

Why not? We're taking a five day on DCL next year and plan on bringing at least six or seven bottles of wine for three adults. We'll be carrying it on, and have no problem paying the corkage. We'll probably even bring our own stemware, as the thought of drinking a bottle of great wine served in Libby glassware makes me cringe.

One of the reasons that we've chosen to cruise with Disney is that we can bring our own wine. Cruiselines are pretty notorious for having wine lists that are marginal at best, and Disney is no exception. Being able to bring our own wine aboard is a major plus for us, and one of the reasons we booked with Disney this time around.

Archived