Live (soon enough!) from Journey, Panama Canal 12/18/08

critterchick

Hi Jean,

Thank you for your posts and for including what Oceania passengers had to say about the comparison of the two lines. We love Oceania and have never had anything to complain about during our cruises on her ships. The food is fantastic as is the service.

We had booked an Azamara cruise, as it worked with our dates in November '09, but thankfully have cancelled it. It sounds as if "second best " just won't do. When you book the larger cabins there is very little difference in cost between the two lines, so for us, we'll stick to Oceania and Regent. Thank you again for your wonderful reports.:)

Hi Jean,

Thank you for your posts and for including what Oceania passengers had to say about the comparison of the two lines. We love Oceania and have never had anything to complain about during our cruises on her ships. The food is fantastic as is the service.

We had booked an Azamara cruise, as it worked with our dates in November '09, but thankfully have cancelled it. It sounds as if "second best " just won't do. When you book the larger cabins there is very little difference in cost between the two lines, so for us, we'll stick to Oceania and Regent. Thank you again for your wonderful reports.:)

Really is it wise to base your decision on a couple of posters?

I have sailed Oceania and it is very comparable to O.

In reality Azamara is highly regarded by the majority.

Hi Jean

Having come off Journey about 6 weeks ago I'm really surprised you haven't had much luck in Discoveries. The restaurant manager at the time was Ryszard Guzman. I know he would be very disappointed that you aren't enjoying your experience and would definitely want to know about it to try and resolve the issues. Philip Herbert is the hotel director and he would also be more than happy to help out - he is very accommodating.

Please stick with Discoveries - we had some spectacular meals there. Also if you want superb wait staff, ask for Shandon and Marlon - they will look after you extremely well.

Wish I was on Journey at the moment. Have a wonderful trip!

I am booked on this cruise in 2010. Everything i have read about this cruise and ship have been very good. No it is not Oceania but good. This is the first thread that was so negitive about the food. I do hope it improves by next year.

I picked this cruise for the ports...

I am enjoying the reading daily.

I am booked on this cruise in 2010. Everything i have read about this cruise and ship have been very good. No it is not Oceania but good. This is the first thread that was so negitive about the food. I do hope it improves by next year.

I picked this cruise for the ports...

I am enjoying the reading daily.

Hi Robin !

I agree, and my Cruise on Quest was excellent. I would book Azamara again in a heartbeat. I truly hope I will have another chance to sail with Azamara again in either 2009 or 2010.

Thanks Jean. I now have an age related question to experienced Azamara cruisers: Is this 60 and over typical for Azamara or is it just emphasized because it is a 16 day-er?

Keep your head up Jean. It is a cruise after all. Would love to be with you and Don right now sailing the ocean.

;)

Thanks Jean. I now have an age related question to experienced Azamara cruisers: Is this 60 and over typical for Azamara or is it just emphasized because it is a 16 day-er?

Keep your head up Jean. It is a cruise after all. Would love to be with you and Don right now sailing the ocean.

;)

60 and over is typical for any longer cruise

Jancruz1

Hi Robin !

I agree, and my Cruise on Quest was excellent. I would book Azamara again in a heartbeat. I truly hope I will have another chance to sail with Azamara again in either 2009 or 2010.

well, i added it to the list of trying new cruise lines. In 10 days I will be on Solstice. Now i am realy glad I am in AQ spa-for the food.:)

i still do land tours too and try finding the prefect trip to Africa.. makes cruising easy.

well, i added it to the list of trying new cruise lines. In 10 days I will be on Solstice. Now i am realy glad I am in AQ spa-for the food.:)

i still do land tours too and try finding the prefect trip to Africa.. makes cruising easy.

Hi Robin !

I was on Solstice's Inaugural Sailing. We had a great Cruise. I hope you enjoy Solstice as much as we did. Have a wonderful Cruise !

I'm not sure that the best way to evaluate a small ship cruise is to compare it to RCL. Both expectations and emphasis are different. This was the problem Celebrity ran into when many Celebrity cruisers were initially booked into Journey's debut. It wasn't the type of cruise they were used to so they were critical of the cruise itself.

I am a bit confused about the constant comparison between Azamara and Oceana. We have not sailed on either line but will be on Journey in about a month so it will be interesting to see for ourselves. Perhaps it is because the ships are identical (previously Renaissance vessels) or at least were originally.

Someone said the prices were about the same. I just checked the Oceana website and found an almost identical 12 day cruise departing Miami in mid-February. The "early booking" rate for our same room was listed at $3,799 while we paid more than $1,000 less for Azamara. I understand it is hard to compare prices due to all the fees & taxes but what I listed was the fare before any extras. If I am paying that much of a premium I would expect to have better service, food, etc.

Also I have to say I find it interesting to read multiple reviews of the very same sailing (on any ship). Sometimes you wonder whether the people were actually on the same sailing as the reviews can be 180 degrees different.

I say stick with the line you like (we love Celebrity) and leave it at that! Of course we have always looked for the positives and not let the negatives get in the way of enjoying our cruising experience.

I am a bit confused about the constant comparison between Azamara and Oceana.

I think the main reason is that Azamara has copied Oceania's concept re dining, dress code, smoking policy, cabin butlers ... and probably a few other things, but since I haven't cruised on Oceania, I'm not certain of what else.

Our cruise on Azamara was such a great experience ... delicious food, very good service, lovely cabin, etc., etc. that I don't have a big desire to try Oceania just to see if it is a 'step above'. If pricing and itinerary were comparable, then I wouldn't hesitate to book either line, but if Azamara is lower or comparable, I would book with them since we were more than pleased with our Med cruise on Quest.:)

p.s. the latest Journey review in the Review Section might be of interest .... also note the last paragraph re the comparison with Oceania: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=50217

Hope you have a wonderful time on Journey ... and let us know what you think!

I am a bit confused about the constant comparison between Azamara and Oceana. We have not sailed on either line but will be on Journey in about a month so it will be interesting to see for ourselves. Perhaps it is because the ships are identical (previously Renaissance vessels) or at least were originally.

Someone said the prices were about the same. I just checked the Oceana website and found an almost identical 12 day cruise departing Miami in mid-February. The "early booking" rate for our same room was listed at $3,799 while we paid more than $1,000 less for Azamara. I understand it is hard to compare prices due to all the fees & taxes but what I listed was the fare before any extras. If I am paying that much of a premium I would expect to have better service, food, etc.

Also I have to say I find it interesting to read multiple reviews of the very same sailing (on any ship). Sometimes you wonder whether the people were actually on the same sailing as the reviews can be 180 degrees different.

I say stick with the line you like (we love Celebrity) and leave it at that! Of course we have always looked for the positives and not let the negatives get in the way of enjoying our cruising experience.

I have sailed on Celebrity several times, Azamara does not compare to Celebrity, that is why its a different cruise line.

Do not expect the glitz and formal nights you would on Celebrity, it is more Country Club Casual.

As I said before although Azamara quotes dress formally if you want and we encourgage that, for the most part on Az. you will find slacks and polo shirts in the dining room.

You know is it almost like comparing children, each has their different personalities.

Az. is a upscale line w/o the pomp and circumstance.

I think it is because Azamara copied Oceania from the get go...

Oceania has been in business a few years more than AZA and they have the same ships similar policies etc...

We have not sailed AZAmara but have done several O cruises.

If you are comparing the "bottom line" both seem to be in the same or very close in price.

From reading some of the reviews here Azamara is not quite comparable with O ....close

I agree stick with the cruise line that suits you & your likes/dislikes the best.;)

Andy, I don’t know what Philip could do apart from cooking the meals himself. We had a galley tour and I did see the posted menus for a 14-night cruise (not sure what they’ll feed us for the last 2 nights, maybe gruel for me, LOL). Rather than return to Discoveries hoping for an improvement, we’ve decided to go to Prime C and Aqualina for the remainder of the cruise. They are actually quite popular on this cruise, but we were able to get our preferred dining time (8:00 to 8:30) for all but one night.

As for comparing AZ to RCI, I realize that they are not the same product, but I can only go by my past experiences. I expect far more from Journey than I do from any RCI ship, and I am finding some lapses in service that I would not find on RCI. Small, not enough to ruin the cruise by a long stretch, but noticeable and, IMHO, unacceptable for a line that is trying to distinguish itself from the mainstream. Example: the bathroom water glasses haven’t been replaced for a least a couple of days, probably longer. Since I assumed it would be done automatically, it never occurred to me to check closely, but I finally noticed lots of lip marks (and I can only hope they’re all ours) on them and plan to leave a note for the butler.

Also, please remember that this is a daily journal, not meant to be a review, but a series of observations. The real review will be written when I get home.:)

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming…

I had circled a bunch of activities to do today – cooking demo, wine tasting, computer class, listen to the enrichment lecture. I did none of them. After laundry it was time for a change of scenery, so we did basically nothing. We had a galley tour at 4:30, which consisted of a near-run through the place. It’s tight quarters down there and there wasn’t sufficient room for our group of well over 20 people to see everything. I did, though. :p

We had dinner in the Windows Café and it was the best one we’ve had there – freshly grilled shrimp, spiced as you like, calamari that managed to stay crisp in the steam tray, paella that was gorgeous but a little mushy, and a host of other options. We did make reservations to eat in Prime C and Aqualina for the rest of the cruise, so if Discoveries does get better (and we’ve talked to a lot of people who love it, so they must not have ordered the turkey, LOL), we won’t know.

We had a mini CC reunion in the Martini Bar before heading off to the evening show. They had started the Christmas celebration at noon, with Santa coming to visit the pool deck (he probably shed a few pounds of water on a very hot day), then showing It’s a Wonderful Life in the Cabaret (I poked my head in and saw about 10 people in there),

The evening’s entertainment was a Christmas show (with one song for the Jewish passengers just so they wouldn’t feel left out of things and Feliz Navidad for the Latino contingent – nothing for the Germans or Brits, though – one can only take political correctness so far, after all…. ) The show was actually very melancholy, which rather surprised me. It showcased the ship’s talent well, though, as everybody got a chance to perform.

After the show it was up to the Looking Glass to hear the Journey trio play, dance and make catty comments about other dancers, as I’m sure they were doing with us. All great fun! The DJ took over at 11:30 and played enough hip hop songs to make me feel like my mother, so off to bed….

Christmas Day – Puntarenas, Costa Rica

We awoke to a gorgeous sunny day and opened our gifts from the ship – two traveling coffee mugs with the Azamara logo on them. We had also received a very nice large canvas tote bag with Azamara Journey embroidered on it.

There are loads of things to do in Costa Rica, but perhaps because of the demographic of the ship, they only offered long bus ride tours, all of which departed by 7:45 am and most of which last for 9-11 hours. The ship provides a hospitality desk onboard (there may have been one for Aruba, but we weren’t paying attention), so we asked the man where to go within walking distance. Another couple was given a few tour recommendations for a canopy tour (sounds like a seated harness, not a full zipline, but I couldn’t tell for sure) and a crocodile-viewing boat ride, neither of which are offered through the ship. I’ve noticed a paucity of active excursions on this cruise, which is kind of annoying.

Because we are in no mood to get up early or be in a lather about (much of) anything, we just took a leisurely walk into Puntarenas. We strolled up the boardwalk area, not tempted to purchase what we saw in the way of souvenirs. We found the vendors to be friendly enough, and not too pushy, other than a young boy who wanted $1 for showing us where the open door to the telephone/Internet shop is. Perhaps he is the next generation's robber baron.

We were back on the ship by 11 and found a couple of comfy loungers on the Promenade Deck, where we read (and napped) a bit before lunch. I am slipping into a relaxation-induced coma, which is pretty much why we’re on this cruise in the first place!

Jean,

Thanks for the update.

Your comments about the shore excursions is interesting. We were there on a Celebrity ship and they offerred a wide variety of excursions including river rafting which we did and had a blast. I think demographics guided their decision and should be re-examined as they forcing passengers to go ashore and do an independent tour instead of a day long bus ride.

My wife would be going all the way up the food chaing (probably as high as the captain) if we didn't get clean glasses everytime the cabin was serviced. We have never experienced this but our antennas will be up!

If you are comparing the "bottom line" both seem to be in the same or very close in price.

From reading some of the reviews here Azamara is not quite comparable with O ....close

Hi LHT28 ....

I haven't found O cruises that are comparable in price to A's ... just wondered if you have an example? I've looked at Med and Asia cruises and there appears to be quite a difference (O being quite a bit higher).

True....some reviews rate O higher, but others rate A as equal or higher. Perhaps a slight edge to O, but from all of the reading that I've done... sounds like they are very close.

Since I am booked o nthis for 2010 I am looking now at ideas for sightseeing. I do active also. I did find some snorkeling but not as much i would of thought. In some cases iti s tough to find an active tour. as far as long bus rides i felt that they did take you to places I have heard of in both Costa Rica and in Nigaregra(spelling)

As for glasses i nthe cabin. .i put the ones i want to go on my breakfast tray and they get replaced.

I plan on trying all the palces to eat but if the spec places are better I will spend the money.

Hi LHT28 ....

True....some reviews rate O higher, but others rate A as equal or higher. Perhaps a slight edge to O, but from all of the reading that I've done... sounds like they are very close.

I did say they were very close in the reviews ...no cruise line is perfect

I did look at trying A and the price difference for us was worth the bit extra to do O cruise.

OK, I'd have a problem with no active excursions, because that is all I book!:rolleyes:

I guess someone has to broaden your horizon and 'teach' you active vacation when no active excursions are offered. megaroftl.gif

Jean, I am enjoying your diary so far. Sending you late x-mas wishes. Have a drink on me. ;)

HI Jean:

Think you are still on your cruise aboard the Journey. Can you do us a favour, during the summer we went on a cruise to Russia aboard the Journey and we became friendly with Alma who works in the Cova Coffee Bar. She gave us her email, but it was lost while we were in Paris post cruise. If Alma is still working on the ship can you please tell her that Correen and Marc from Toronto Canada say hello! And want to write to her and ask her to give you her email address. You can send it to us at correenp@aol.com. We would be so thankful, she really is a wonderful person and she made our days much more fun! We were in cabin 6088 for the last russian cruise of the season.

Enjoy your cruise.

I guess someone has to broaden your horizon and 'teach' you active vacation when no active excursions are offered. megaroftl.gif

Jean, I am enjoying your diary so far. Sending you late x-mas wishes. Have a drink on me. ;)

Are you volunteering?:p You wouldn't be able to keep up with me!:p:cool: You gotta cut down on that smoking, ya know.. hehehehehehehehehehe

<neener neener>

Jean, don't have anymore drinks on me. I exceeded my quota today, oh yes I did.:o

Archived