Live (soon enough!) from Journey, Panama Canal 12/18/08

critterchick

Hi Jean,

Love reading all about this sailing on the Journey. :)

We'll be sailing her in Mar 2010. Or maybe not.....:(.

Keep it coming.

Merry Christmas to you and Don. :D

You might wait a while longer to make your decision rather than making it based on one review. There is a sold-out Journey leaving Los Angeles in 8 days to do this very cruise in reverse. Twenty-eight of the passengers are signed up for the CC Meet and Mingle. I suggest you at least wait to hear what we have to say. I can't wait to go. I'm not one to sit in my cabin and wait for life to come to me.

You might wait a while longer to make your decision rather than making it based on one review. There is a sold-out Journey leaving Los Angeles in 8 days to do this very cruise in reverse. Twenty-eight of the passengers are signed up for the CC Meet and Mingle. I suggest you at least wait to hear what we have to say. I can't wait to go. I'm not one to sit in my cabin and wait for life to come to me.

I have no intention of cancelling based on one review. :eek: Just being flippant. :D I live for cruising. :cool:

Hi IHX !

I agree completely. Have a wonderful Cruise. I look forward to your reports. Happy Holidays !

I have no intention of cancelling based on one review. :eek: Just being flippant. :D I live for cruising. :cool:

Okay. Sorry to have misinterpreted you. I'm not good at 'flippant'.

Since I've been traveling abroad consistently now since 1966 and this is only my second cruise ever, it's probably safe to say that I don't 'live for cruising'. And isn't it a good thing we are all different!?! :D

Your comments about the shore excursions is interesting. We were there on a Celebrity ship and they offerred a wide variety of excursions including river rafting which we did and had a blast. I think demographics guided their decision and should be re-examined as they forcing passengers to go ashore and do an independent tour instead of a day long bus ride.

My wife would be going all the way up the food chaing (probably as high as the captain) if we didn't get clean glasses everytime the cabin was serviced. We have never experienced this but our antennas will be up!

We are the only ship in port in most cases. We´ve only shared in Aruba, and even then it was with smaller ships. So there isn´t the critical mass of passengers to offer a wide range of options. I do think they made the decision based on an older passenger demographic, with the result that the younger (and we´re ¨"younger" in our 50s, yeah) pax are off doing their own things.

The dirty glasses (my god, this is going to be the "dirty glass cruise", LOL) are only in the bathroom. One person cleans the bathroom and balcony, the butler cleans the bedroom and the head butler supervises plus brings room service items. We spoke to him this morning with no result so will mention it to the hotel director next. Yes, I do get like a dog with a bone somtimes, just ask my husband!

THIS ISN´T A REVIEW!! (I´ve said that already, but it seems to bear repeating). I´m simply giving my daily report of our experiences. And you seem to have missed that we´re having a great time. I think I would be remiss, however, in not pointing out the mostly minor issues we´ve been having.

In case you all missed it - WE ARE HAVING A GREAT TIME. Sheesh. But we are now down to one filthy glass in the bathroom, as the other was placed on our breakfast tray and was never replaced. :rolleyes:

Correen, I will try to see if Alma is still onboard - they do rotate around, so perhaps she is elsewhere on the ship. Do you have a last name for her, by any chance?

Nancy, I don´t know if you are considering cancelling based on this, but you shouldn´t (and I hope you wouldn´t be cancelleing for a more serious reason). Just be aware that you sometimes have to make your own entertainment and good times, which we fully expected and so have come armed with lots of books (the library has an extensive collection, but I´d never heard of the authors and the dust jacket summaries didn´t grab me), music, gym clothes and dance shoes.

And now onto the blather...

Today is San Juan del Sur, a tender port. This is another port where the only excursion offerings all left by 8:00 am, so we took the tender over, walked in some sideways rain to the main plaza and parked our butts in front of some computers in an Internet cafe ($1.00 per hour).

Last night was Prime C, with a special Christmas dinner. We managed to last about an hour and then, after I fell asleep waiting for the show to begin, decided that was enough. I think the extreme humidity in Costa Rica had more of an effect than we thought.

Speaking of which, we encountered a few people who were complaining of bloating - it hasn´t hit either of us, but they were saying that they were retaining a lot of fluid. Possibly from the humidity, maybe salt in the water, who knows? So anybody out there who is prone to fluid retention might want to make sure of having a diuretic handy.:)

I can´t remember if I´ve mentioned it, but the gym is very well equipped, and we´ve made good use of it. The Thalassotherapy area is a nice way to spend some OBC (we had a spa credit), and cost $175 for the duration of the cruise. Apart from a few chair hogs it´s been quite pleasant.

Dancing onboard: I spoke with one woman who had complained to the CD about the lack of daily dancing opportunities (other than midnight in the disco). I did see in the Pursuits that they will have recording ballroom music in the theater, so perhaps it was in response to that. They do take passenger comments very seriously and will do what they can to remedy any problems that arise.

Nancy, I don´t know if you are considering cancelling based on this, but you shouldn´t (and I hope you wouldn´t be cancelleing for a more serious reason). Just be aware that you sometimes have to make your own entertainment and good times, which we fully expected and so have come armed with lots of books (the library has an extensive collection, but I´d never heard of the authors and the dust jacket summaries didn´t grab me), music, gym clothes and dance shoes.

Hi Jean,

We aren't really going to cancel. :) I was just being a wise a$$. :o

Dan and I usually make our own fun while cruising. We love to sit on the balcony and read while sipping coffee and/or wine. :D

All is well on the health front. Thanks for asking. :)

Enjoy the cruise! :)

Yeah, I know, the focus of my life!:o

Time for me to book the Mariner, so we can change your 'focus of your life'. LOL.

:D

Are you volunteering? You wouldn't be able to keep up with me! You gotta cut down on that smoking, ya know.. hehehehehehehehehehe

<neener neener>

I am now putting duct tape over my mouth/tie my hands down (:o ) otherwise I say/write things which will be a reason to ban me for life. :D

Oh, Jean....Where are you? Don't you know we are anxiously awaiting the next installment of the 'dirty glass cruise'?:p It's all about US after all....:rolleyes: I wish I was there, and not in this snowy, slushy, rainy mess!:eek: Off to get groceries - apparently the parking lot is a swimming pool. I'll bring my bathing suit.:rolleyes:

Oh, Jean....Where are you? Don't you know we are anxiously awaiting the next installment of the 'dirty glass cruise'?:p It's all about US after all....:rolleyes: I wish I was there, and not in this snowy, slushy, rainy mess!:eek: Off to get groceries - apparently the parking lot is a swimming pool. I'll bring my bathing suit.:rolleyes:

I can not wait to go back to Vancouver. it is too hot here in FL. what a ghreat city to be cold in:D

but we do need our daily info.. the glass can stay dirty i want more info on food and the ports. i will be there in 371 days.

Here I am! Nancy, I'm glad to hear that all is well!

Carol, the gym is very lightly used, at least the hours when I'm there, which are civilized - late morning/early afternoon. Three ellipticals, half a dozen treadmills, some bikes and lots of weights, both free and machines. They offer 4 classes a day, no extra charge.

San Juan del Sur was depressing to me - lots of stray dogs and children begging. We just walked around the town for a bit and then, after checking emails at an internet cafe for speed and cheapness, headed back to the ship.

We did talk with one couple who booked day-long excursions in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. They weren't happy with either one. Their bus in CR was using a retread tire and it blew while they were on a long section of unpaved road, so they were delayed while a couple of the passengers helped to change the tire. They filed a complaint with Guest Relations and it's being looked into. The Nicaragua tour was billed as moderately active, but they found it too strenuous (and they're not badly out of shape, either). So I'm still not sure what the best thing to do in either port would be.

Today we recovered from having too much fun in the Looking Glass last night - we closed it down at 1:15, dancing up a storm and having one too many glasses of wine. So we got up late, had breakfast, went back to bed, woke up in time for lunch. Then we hit the gym, met the Chief Engineer (who has worked on this ship since it was the R-6 in the Renaissance line), attended the Captain's Club party and are about to head to dinner at Aqualina again.

Jean,

You are a woman after my own heart--I, too, felt the shore excursions in Costa Rica & Nicaragua left way too early in the morning for someone on vacation & we decided that we were going to pass them up (after I read what you heard from some of the passengers, I think we probably are making the right decision.

I have a few questions:

What time are the shows in the evening?

Is there a CD player in the cabin?

Is the airconditioning very cold in the public areas of the ship (bars, restaurants, etc.)? Sometimes it is so cold that you definitely need a wrap of some sort.

Does the laundry room have an iron & ironing board? Hopefully, I won't be using that, but just in case.

We depart on January 3rd from San Pedro, so your information has been very helpful.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Donna

I can not wait to go back to Vancouver. it is too hot here in FL. what a ghreat city to be cold in:D

but we do need our daily info.. the glass can stay dirty i want more info on food and the ports. i will be there in 371 days.

I want your heat and sunshine, lol!:p I'm not a good Canadian - I hate cold, rain, and snow!:rolleyes: I've never skied, and I never will.;) And I'm good with that!

Carol, the gym is very lightly used, at least the hours when I'm there, which are civilized - late morning/early afternoon. Three ellipticals, half a dozen treadmills, some bikes and lots of weights, both free and machines. They offer 4 classes a day, no extra charge.

Thank you, dear! I wonder if it's busier earlier? Probably.:rolleyes:

I want your heat and sunshine, lol!:p I'm not a good Canadian - I hate cold, rain, and snow!:rolleyes: I've never skied, and I never will.;) And I'm good with that!

Thank you, dear! I wonder if it's busier earlier? Probably.:rolleyes:

I grew up in Bston.. ran to FL for the heat. 10 years ago I wondered why i was here year round. three years ago i went and rented in NC. Now i have a home there but spend more time there than here.

I do not ski but tried. I do not want to freeze but 65 would be great. I left 38-50 for 80 and it is too warm for me.

i had good weather in BC. found the A/C too cold compared to the freshair but loved the city.

I grew up in Bston.. ran to FL for the heat. 10 years ago I wondered why i was here year round. three years ago i went and rented in NC. Now i have a home there but spend more time there than here.

I do not ski but tried. I do not want to freeze but 65 would be great. I left 38-50 for 80 and it is too warm for me.

i had good weather in BC. found the A/C too cold compared to the freshair but loved the city.

Glad you enjoyed our city. :) I have to admit, it has gorgeous scenery.;) I remember taking the kids up Grouse Mountain one warm summer day, and talking to some British tourists. They asked me where I lived, and I said, "Ten minutes that way." And I literally do live 10 minutes from Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. They were jealous that I lived in such a beautiful place.

Right now, though....:eek: Snowiest winter I've ever seen, and I've lived here almost my whole life. Some winters we don't get any snow at all in the city. I like the snow to stay on the mountains where it belongs.;)

Glad you enjoyed our city. :) I have to admit, it has gorgeous scenery.;) I remember taking the kids up Grouse Mountain one warm summer day, and talking to some British tourists. They asked me where I lived, and I said, "Ten minutes that way." And I literally do live 10 minutes from Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. They were jealous that I lived in such a beautiful place.

Right now, though....:eek: Snowiest winter I've ever seen, and I've lived here almost my whole life. Some winters we don't get any snow at all in the city. I like the snow to stay on the mountains where it belongs.;)

I went to those places and the fish hatchery. yea the summer can not beat them. i walked all over chinatown and walked to the hotel and the went up the mt. that night had dinner at Sails. next trip i am seeing the city and museaum but will go back to Stanley Park for exercise and dinner. never got to the Fish House. i wanted to go.

will be there in july 2010. only negitive is flights in or out and i need to realy look at it before i book a cruise. also i hope 2 nights Whistler is enough.

Also booked on this cruise in 53 weeks.. I beleive the food will be better for me.:)

I want your heat and sunshine, lol! I'm not a good Canadian - I hate cold, rain, and snow! I've never skied, and I never will.;) And I'm good with that!....

.:rolleyes:

Carol, In my "younger" days I loved to fly into Vancouver to ski Whistler and Blackcomb. Whistler is a great ski village. Loved BC. I even got to ski with Nancy Greene once as I stayed at her lodge. :)

I gave up skiing to cruise as it's warmer. :o:D:D

Hi:

I was wondering if you could tell me (if you remember) what the company name was for the river rafting in Costa Rica? Or, if you have any more information on it at all - so that we can try and contact someone prior to our trip January 3rd?

Thanks

On a similar itinerary with Seabourn I took the shore excursion to the colonial town of Granada from San Juan del Sur & it turned out to be one of the most interesting ship excursions I have ever taken. Many great photo ops.

That's good to hear, cruiseyguy, as we have scheduled that tour next month. A Grenada tour is also highly recommended on Trip Advisor. I'm ready!! I've never been to Nicaragua, and I'm looking forward to that day.

Carol, In my "younger" days I loved to fly into Vancouver to ski Whistler and Blackcomb. Whistler is a great ski village. Loved BC. I even got to ski with Nancy Greene once as I stayed at her lodge. :)

I gave up skiing to cruise as it's warmer. :o:D:D

I don't blame you one bit!

I like Whistler in the summer for it's hiking, biking, canoeing, horseback riding, and now ziplining!;)

DH is out walking the dog - on cross country skis!:eek:

I don't blame you one bit!

I like Whistler in the summer for it's hiking, biking, canoeing, horseback riding, and now ziplining!;)

DH is out walking the dog - on cross country skis!:eek:

you forgot white water rafting. I did it once and want to go back. Is two nights there enough or do i need three. I am looking at 3 nights in Vancouver-one before Whistler and two after. as i am booking my cruise in Jan I need lots of answers. you have many.. thanks

sounds like goos exercise for DH.

you forgot white water rafting. I did it once and want to go back. Is two nights there enough or do i need three. I am looking at 3 nights in Vancouver-one before Whistler and two after. as i am booking my cruise in Jan I need lots of answers. you have many.. thanks

sounds like goos exercise for DH.

There are a lot of things to do in Vancouver and in Whistler, but it looks like you have done a bunch of stuff in both places already! Whistler has grown so much - many restaurants, activities, and shops. I guess it would depend on what you want to accomplish in both places. What is most important to you? You can do a city tour in Vancouver and go into Stanley Park in one day - a rushed day, but it can be done. Whistler has a lot of physical activities, but what if it rains? I'm not much of a shopper or a eater, so I know I would get restless. Our weather can be tempermental that way.;) Two nights there gives you one full day in Whistler, if you want to look at it that way.

There are a lot of things to do in Vancouver and in Whistler, but it looks like you have done a bunch of stuff in both places already! Whistler has grown so much - many restaurants, activities, and shops. I guess it would depend on what you want to accomplish in both places. What is most important to you? You can do a city tour in Vancouver and go into Stanley Park in one day - a rushed day, but it can be done. Whistler has a lot of physical activities, but what if it rains? I'm not much of a shopper or a eater, so I know I would get restless. Our weather can be tempermental that way.;) Two nights there gives you one full day in Whistler, if you want to look at it that way.

I am beginning to think I need your emaiL address as this thread has become Vancouver. I spent 2.5 days in Vancouver and did a lot but did rest at the pool reading each day. have not done Whistlet and trying to decide if one full day or two ful ldays is what i need. Ilike one good hike and rafting. i would like some time to shop. but if i train up i wil lhave time the first day for something.

I love to wine and dine.. so i wil find great places to eat. plus which hotel?/ they are all great and i like great.

Archived