Silver Spirit maiden

CASHIPman

Regarding the Spirit TA from Lisbon, has anyone found a decent airfare from the States that doesn't take 20+ hours and cost almost as much as the cruise? Lynn and I will probably travel from Phoenix on Dec 30 and take 3 nights in Lisbon at either the Britania, or Lapa Palace.

The SilverSky prices are up now and we're going with that. Can't beat it, even on Continental with a refundable fare. The Continental refundable fare to just get there is more than the round trip fare on the SilverSky program. We also moved up to a Silver suite 1007.l

Thanks for the heads up. We just had our TA request early embarkation as well. She said there is a lot of interest in the Transatlantic cruise. That doesn't correlate with the # of staterooms that were available last week, but things can change rapidly in the cruise business.

Has anyone been able to find pictures of Silver Spirit under construction? When will the Captain and ops crew start following the construction. I know that Captain Dag was with Regent Voyager from @ 7 months from launch thru first ops and many of his crew were with him learning the ship. Tried to Google it, but there's not much there and there's nothing on the shipyard's website.

Doug, Captain Rhone's post on 30 Jan, this thread found this picture of the Spirit

http://www.shipfriends.gr/forum/phot...dex.php?n=4176

I like how Seabourn is creating buzz for their new ship/Odessy..check this blog

out (has pictures, stories, crew first hand accounts and more)

http://blog.seabourn.com

Maybe Steve Tucker (SS VP) who reads this board can find some spirit pics for us.

Wes; The pic link didn't work. The only thing I can find in the way of an update is that the funnel is in place as of this month. That to me means there's a whole bunk of work left to do in order to get the ship in service by Dec. We're paying in full next month so as to get the additional 15% discount. With the world economy as it is I just don't have a great deal of confidence that the shipyard will meet the schedule. If Steve Tucker monitors this board maybe he could address this.

doug, share u'r concern as well...for the picture link, pls go to page 4 of this thread

under Captain Rhone (post #61)..just tried the link it works. Called my travel insurance

company and they will pay any airline change fees necessary if the cruise date is

changed...Travelex told me SS is liable to refund our fare if they do not meet the sail

date...so at least we are financially covered...

I second your request for an update from Steve Tucker, please

r/wes

We, too, plan to pay in full for the TA crossing by the end of the month. And also had the concern about what happens if the Spirit is late in delivery. I contacted Elizabeth Jordan at Silversea about this back on 1/27. Her response said the ship was "ahead of schedule and will be delivered on time". But this was 11 months out - a lot can happen in that time, especially looking at the economy right now. She also said "Any arrangements should there be a delay would be handled on a case by case basis." Doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy. We all hope she will be delivered on time, but I agree with Col. Wes that this is definitely the time to buy trip insurance!

Gary

Gary, thanks for good SS update on Spirit build..did u see the pic Captain Rhone posted

on the Spirit?....altho, if u buy tvl ins within two weeks of initial deposit, believe Travelex is one of the best values & strongest financially (rated by AM best) insurance companies that offers financial default coverage. However, if u are beyond 14-21 days initial deposit, believe CSA website Luxe is the only firm that will cover financial default (with a 14 day wait) if purchased before final pay....r/wes

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I did see the photo Capt. Rhone posted. Seems pretty far along given delivery is 9+ months out, but I'm sure there's a lot of interior work to be done yet.

On trip insurance, I know CSA is the only one that will still cover pre-existing conditions if you wait until making final payment. To get that coverage with other companies, you need to book the insurance when you make the first trip deposit.

Gary

We looked at leaving here New Years Eve, but the connections were really bad. Also, Lynn tends to crash for a day after a long trip. That's why we're leaving here on 30 Dec. We've been to Lisbon a couple of times and have done Sintra, the cape, etc., so the pre-cruise is just a re-charge break for us. By the way, don't get old! The travel insurance rates really go up as you accelerate after 65; even with no pre-existing conditions other than oldhimers.

Doug, SS will add Butler service to all accomodations on the Spirit...pls see news release'

below:

SILVERSEA SET TO EXPAND BUTLER SERVICE TO ALL ACCOMMODATIONS ABOARD ITS FLEET

(Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- March 18, 2009) Luxury travel innovator Silversea Cruises is raising the bar in personalized service with plans to feature butlers for all guest accommodations aboard its award-winning fleet. The enhanced service will be phased in gradually over the coming months.

The line's newest all-suite ship, Silver Spirit, will feature butler service in all accommodations when launched in December.

"By expanding the butler service, we're essentially elevating the qualifications and caliber of our hospitality staff to ensure we continue to deliver a guest experience of unsurpassed quality," said Christian Sauleau, executive vice president of fleet operations for Silversea. "Our butlers come to us from some of the world's finest hotels and grandest homes, already highly trained in the art of recognizing guest preferences and anticipating their needs, ever attentive yet in the most unobtrusive manner."

Sauleau added, "Each butler, assisted by a suite attendant, is empowered to troubleshoot problems and provide special service touches, if desired by the guest -- for example unpacking and packing clothing, facilitating a dry cleaning request or preparing a scented Jacuzzi bath -- ultimately creating a suite environment where one can relax and feel totally cared for."

As the complimentary butler service rolls out to all accommodations, it will join an already expansive array of all-inclusive amenities available to Silversea guests, including a premium assortment of wines, champagne and spirits served throughout the ship, all gratuities, and on select sailings, the Silversea Experience®, an exclusive shoreside event. All accommodations are ocean-view (most are suites) and feature Pommery Champagne upon arrival; fresh fruit and flower arrangements; selection of European bath amenities; fine bed linens; premium mattresses; choice of pillow; plush robes and slippers; personalized stationery; 24-hour room service; in-suite beverage cabinet stocked daily on request with guest's selection of wines, spirits, bottled water and soft drinks; and twice daily suite service with turndown nightly.

Currently, complimentary butler service is available in the top-category accommodations -- Royal, Grand and Owner's Suites. In the coming months, it will be rolled out to Silver and Medallion Suites as follows:

-- May 7: Silver Wind

-- May 17: Prince Albert II

-- May 19: Silver Whisper

-- May 30: Silver Cloud

-- June 7: Silver Shadow

Butler service will then be extended to all accommodations on all ships as follows:

-- September 21: Prince Albert II

-- October 9: Silver Cloud

-- October 24: Silver Whisper

-- November 9: Silver Wind

-- December 2: Silver Shadow

Silversea Cruises is recognized as an innovator in the luxury segment, offering guests large-ship amenities aboard its intimate, all-suite vessels: Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper -- and launching in December, Silver Spirit -- all designed to offer an atmosphere of conviviality and casual elegance. With the addition of the regal expedition ship Prince Albert II, the company's itineraries encompass all seven continents.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We like St. Barts, too; but we've been there twice on cruises the past few years. Whereas we haven't been to San Juan for 20 years (on our first cruise!), so we were looking to go back and do some exploring in a "new" port. So the change is a negative for us.

Gary & Carol

I also noted on Silversea's website that the Jan. 7th port call at Santa Cruz de la Palma has been changed to Tenerife (a different island). We've been to Tenerife before, but not la Palma. Again, a "negative" for us in the itinerary change. Grumble.

Gary & Carol

Today got the new Spirit Inaugural voyage brochure...does have new photo image of the spirit pool deck with three jacuzzi's (don't know of any other lux line ship w/3 jacuzzi's on the pool deck) and the deck diagram does show the jogging track on deck

10. On the down side, the dining pages still publish a per guest reservation fee for

both Le Champangne and Seishin.

ColonelWes: Does the brochure have "cabin floor plans" (and not just descriptions), and photographs of prefabricated cabins (and not just artist's renditions)? Does it mention how many seats are there for each restaurant, the theatre, the library/internet room? Now is barely half a year before the inaugural sailing. Remember back in 2000, half a year before the launching of the Shadow, Silversea had been crowing on all the details. Of course, those were much better days. Even for those of us who are not able to get on the newbuild Spirit soon, we are curious as to its details.

Archived