Summit Dec 13th Random Thoughts

Tweets

Some random thoughts from Dec 13th cruise:

The ship was in better condition than I expected from reading posts before I went. There was a little wear and tear in places but overall she still looks great for her age.

The crew were really wonderful, except for one surly waiter in the Cosmopolitan with an attitude we had for breakfast 2 mornings. Even the folks at guest relations were nice which shocked me because they are usually frazzled and unpleasant.

As far as carrying trays at the buffet, they seemed to help out people who looked like they needed it. My mother had arthroscopic surgery on her knee and wasn't walking too great so they carried her tray. They never offered me but I am capable of carrying my own tray so I was fine. We bought the soda package and once we sat down at the buffet at lunch, one of the waiters would come over and we would request the soda's we wanted and they would bring it. Our asst waiter knew the drinks we wanted at night and would just bring them.

As I walked around the ship the crew would greet me with a smile. When we boarded we were given champagne and my carryon luggage was taken from me and I was shown to my room.

We enjoyed the shows, I felt they were better then we have had on Princess.

Food was really hit or miss. We usually would eat in the dining room on Princess for lunch for portion control as as better food but Celebrity only has the main dining room open on sea days. It was really busy in the buffet and standing in line was a pain. In the buffet and dining room some food was good, some really tasteless. I feel that our last cruise on the Crown Princess had better food but that is subjective so don't flame me:p

Our waitstaff Savio and Ismael were great, very obliging and pleasant. The cabin was kept clean with ice and water refilled every time I went back.

I felt they could have had more activities, it was pretty dead, but I guess that gave me a lot of time to relax. We loved hanging out by the thallasotherapy pool except the last day it was cool in the pool which wasn't too pleasant.

I had 2 treatments at the spa which had port day specials. One of the treatments included an hour in the Persian Gardens which was lovely. Some people have posted about the hard sell to buy products after the treatments but I had no problem. One of the girls gave me a card with 2 products she thought I would like but the prices for the Elemis stuff is pretty high so I didn't buy anything. I guess I'm lucky because I have never had the hard sell on any cruise I have taken-on either X or Princess. It could be because I do have quite a bit of Elemis products already and I let them know.

As far as the way people dressed on the cruise, I expected worse from reading posts. Formal dressing varied from tuxes and evening gowns to just nice dresses. I was just happy no one showed up in jeans. However, on smart casual nights I did see some jeans and pretty casual outfits in the main dining room and sweatpants and a teeshirt at the theater. It doesn't really bother me but I do notice since they stand out and look sloppy. I have never and will never understand the desire to wear jeans on a caribbean cruise, it's too hot and heavy. Wearing them on an Alaskan cruise makes more sense but that's my 2 cents.:o

There was no luggage valet on this cruise, they might have thought the service wasn't needed because there were about 700-800 people from Puerto Rico on the cruise. We would have liked to use it but debarkation and checking in at the airport was a breeze so it wasn't too bad. Only coming back to NY in the snow and waiting for our luggage for 1 and half hours was a nightmare:mad:

Tasted X waffles for first time-I enjoyed them and line wasn't too long.

Sorry for rambling on but I'm trying to remember info that might be helpful.

Please ask any specific questions and I'll try to answer.

We're going in February and we're on the "new" itinerary that includes Tobago and Barbadoes instead of Aruba and Bonaire - which were you on, and how did you like all the ports?

I also would like to know how getting to the Pan Am pier was - did you stay in SJ pre-cruise?

Do you know why the t-pool was not warm on the last day?

Was your ship full?

Any talk about the pod (or whatever caused the prior slowdowns) issues?

We're going in February and we're on the "new" itinerary that includes Tobago and Barbadoes instead of Aruba and Bonaire - which were you on, and how did you like all the ports?

I also would like to know how getting to the Pan Am pier was - did you stay in SJ pre-cruise?

Do you know why the t-pool was not warm on the last day?

Was your ship full?

Any talk about the pod (or whatever caused the prior slowdowns) issues?

That's the itinerary we are doing. :D I will be posting a review when we return on Jan 11.

I too am curious about the Pod problems?

I was also on this cruise and can answer a couple of the questions:

POD - not an issue. Several senior staff indicated that the affected propulsion (none would specify engine or POD) was @ 80%, which was more than adequate. We arrived a little late at St. Maarten, unrelated to propulsion.

Ship was not full.

I was in T-pool last day and did not notice it cool; we were in late in the day, so maybe it warmed up.

Sea day was actually very busy, maybe more so for elite members. We had a Sr. Officers coctail party, Galley tour, wine blending, and elegant tea.

Pan Am pier was fine, getting in was no problem (there was a delay in boarding due to USCG and immigration (for the crew).

I'll try to write a review later today.

Ken

Our cruise went to Aruba and Boniare.

We came in the morning of the cruise and took a taxi from the airport to the Pan Am pier which was very easy. When you come out of the airport you can get a taxi very easily, it's well organized.

There was no mention of Pod problems so I assume the problem was taken care of.

I would have loved some of the elite sea day activities but alas I am still classic. I asked the Capatain's Club hostess if we could go on the bridge tour but it was only for higher ups;)

Archived