First time cruiser needs advice....

Hi

We are a family of four (parents in the late 30s and kids 5 years old) and we are planning to try our first cruise in 2009, but it is a challenge to get an overview of the offers on the market, so we hope this forum can help.

We have talked to some TA, but I would like to get neutral opinions as well.

Okay - here is the task: Normally we stay a Four Seasons hotels, because it gives us the right combination of spacious accommodation, great food, superb service, big pool area and a mixed group of guests.

We are planning to go to the Caribbeans for a 7-12 days cruise in February or March 2009.

So, where shall we look to find the same experience ?

And here is what we´re not looking for: Wild night life, activity clubs for kids, an average age of 60...

Look forward to hear your advice - any input, that can make our first cruise not the last, is appreciated.

You will be limited because most luxury lines don't cruise much in the Caribbean and tend towards more exotic itineraries of longer than 10 to 14 days. And, the luxury lines are generally not child friendly and provide little, if any, activities for kids. While lines like Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal and Regent are in the Four Season's category for cruise ships, their activities are more subdued and geared towards adults. If not having a kids club isn't an issue, and if you can find a Caribbean cruise on any of those lines, any of the four would be nice.

At that time of year, the average age on the luxury lines will be way above 60, probably closer to 70. The luxury lines just don't attract many cruisers under the age of 50, especially in winter.

Now, here's your other problem---finding any kind of cruise this late. Most people book their cruises at the very least, 6 months out, with most booking a year early. The months you're looking at are the most popular for cruising, and ships are still sailing full despite the economy.

If the luxury lines don't work for you, then I could recommend Celebrity. Their ships are more elegant and slightly more upscale than the other mass market lines, they sail the Caribbean extensively. You'll find more passengers in your age group, and a more diverse mix of passengers.

Here are some options.

1. Seabourn has three itineraries in March in the Caribbean.

2. Regent has one itinerary in March in the Caribbean

3. Silversea has one itinerary in March in the Southern Caribbean

All three of these cruise lines are luxury cruise lines. Think of them as a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton. You will see almost no kids on board. The food, service and overall experience will be five star+.

But you will see passengers in their 60's. But while these lines will attract an older passenger since they are luxury cruise lines many times you will see a fair amount of passengers in their 30's, 40's and 50's on this itinerary because some of these voyages are shorter and they are in the Caribbean.

My recommendation is to try one of these Cruise Lines because they meet most of your requirements.

I normally would have mentioned Crystal but they are not in the Caribbean this time of year.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

2920: We've cruised with our kids since they were infants, and they still enjoy vacations at sea (now both teens)--based on experiences in the last six months, I can offer two suggestions that might be suitable for your needs.

In August we sailed on the Queen Mary 2, which offers superb suite accommodations, concierge and butler support in the "Grill" classes, but also a very good children's program. While a very large ship, we never felt crowded. The QM2 offers cruises in Europe and the Caribbean, as well as its trans-Atlantic service (we did the crossing from the U.K. to NY). Our kids were made to feel very welcome, and they were comfortable with the formal dining code on the ship. The kids also enjoyed the diversity of the international passengers on the QM 2.

Over the New Years 2009 holiday, we sailed on the Norwegian Dawn in an Owner's Suite with an adjacent connecting cabin. The Owner's Suite offered a separate bedroom, living room and half bath, along with two balconies. While a "mid-market" cruise line, the suite experience on Norwegian provided extensive concierge and butler service, which met every need we had on the cruise. A separate restaurant (Cagneys) is dedicated for breakfast and lunch for suite passengers. We tried all 6 of the specialty restaurants during our cruise, and enjoyed all our meals, and found the service to be very well done--as well as kid friendly. The dedicated pool, children's play area and arcade provided lots of activity for the days at sea.

My wife and I have cruised in a more adult setting, and concluded we are more comfortable with the family where the environment and atmosphere is tailored to all ages, rather than where kids are the exception. The development of suite/concierge/butler/specialty restaurant services on cruise ships is providing a new level of luxury service on lines that meet this criteria for our family.

Thanks

The only thing I want to mention is that the Queen Mary 2 is a premium cruise line and that the Norwegian Dawn is a mass market line. I realize that the accommodations on the Dawn were probably really nice but in the end when you leave the suite the rest of the ship is a mass market line rather than a luxury cruise line.

Yes, I agree that you can have some wonderful accommodations on these lines and go to specialty restaurants but the ships are just not luxury cruise ships. On luxury ships you will receive 5 star service throughtout the ship.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think that Seabourn is the line for a young family with 5 year olds. They would be bored to tears since there are absolutely no provisions for children of that age. The pool is oddly placed and not child friendly, nor are the jacuzzis. In addition, there are many passengers who would look on you with the wrath of the sea gods, for having normal, well-behaved, enthusiastic children. I doubt any of the usual suites can accommodate 4 in a room and most of the suites do not have balconies which children enjoy.

Do check out Regent. On my recent Voyager cruise over Christmas, the children's activities seemed terrific. They even performed at the Christmas Eve holiday program.

None of the luxuary lines, Silversea, Seabourn, Regeant and Crystal, offers 'wild' night life. The night life is subdued, a little dancing, small shows and conversation at the bars. The daytime activities are minimal, too - mainly lectures. Most of them do not have kids club. Unless they can entertain themselves, your kids will be bored stiff.

Go on one of the mainstream lines--better for the kids, but "upgrade" yourself to a suite--that will give you the personal space you need, with all the activities that the kids will enjoy.

Most ship cabins are really small and nothing like a nice hotel, but a suite is lovely and spacious, with more amenities, larger bathroom, nice balcony....

Check with a good travel agent, get some brochures of the different lines, and start the planning!

I've cruised Crystal with our son, who is now 12. He was 8 on his first cruise and the kids activities were great. The caveat is that you have to go when school is out. I know that Crystal will have great kids activities when there are kids on board, and that is only during vacation and holiday periods. As for night life, it was mellow, nice shows, nice bars, good conversation, good movies in the theater. During the day, it is jammed packed with stuff to do. Lectures, demonstations, and never a crowd at the pool.

On my last crusie, during Thanksgiving, there were over 100 kids on a ship of 850 guests. You never saw the kids, they were too busy having fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived