Safety on Carnival Cruise ships

marty30907

On Fox News this morning, right after they showed the story about a crewmember going overboard on the Sension, they had an expert (so called) on the dangers on cruise ships. One of the stats that he stated, that over the last eight years, 100 people have disappeared from cruise ships. Well, that is about 1 a month.

I would think that with about 1 million people cruise in a month's time, if 1 person was missing, that is a good stat. How many people come up missing in Washington DC, Philly, LA, or any large city? I would bet it is more then 1 a month.

Just because my DW and I are on a cruise, I do not let my guard down. My DW and I are always together (except when nature calls:D). The ship is a floating city with most of the people that we do not know. I practice common sense.

On Fox News this morning, right after they showed the story about a crewmember going overboard on the Sension, they had an expert (so called) on the dangers on cruise ships. One of the stats that he stated, that over the last eight years, 100 people have disappeared from cruise ships. Well, that is about 1 a month.

90%+ of those missing, jumped off the ship.

Must be a slow news day.

How many people disappear from a city every year. How about a country.

It's very rare where you read someone actually just falls off a ship doing normal activities.

BUT, the funniest I ever remember reading was the couple that were "doing it" on their balcony railing, and both went over. And survived!

I would think that with about 1 million people cruise in a month's time, if 1 person was missing, that is a good stat. How many people come up missing in Washington DC, Philly, LA, or any large city? I would bet it is more then 1 a month.

Just because my DW and I are on a cruise, I do not let my guard down. My DW and I are always together (except when nature calls:D). The ship is a floating city with most of the people that we do not know. I practice common sense.

There is not a documented case of a SOBER person accidentally "falling" off a cruise ship, ANYWHERE. 2 different cases where the 'victims' were rescued hours later and claimed to have accidentally fallen off were known to have been drinking and both happened after 3 AM. Neither 'remembered' how they 'fell' off.

Dan

There is not a documented case of a SOBER person accidentally "falling" off a cruise ship, ANYWHERE. 2 different cases where the 'victims' were rescued hours later and claimed to have accidentally fallen off were known to have been drinking and both happened after 3 AM. Neither 'remembered' how they 'fell' off.

Dan

The one problem with collecting such data is that most people that fall off a ship are never found. I think you can count the ones that survived on one hand.

I'm not going to argue the point about people falling overboard. I agree that it's virtually always because they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing, and you can't design anything to totally overcome foolishness or criminal intent.

My only point is that most people look at the statistics incorrectly because they don't understand how to compare apples to apples.

Washington DC has a population of roughly just under 600,000 people. The people are there pretty much all year round. You don't count them again each time they leave the city limits and come back in. You use the 600,000 number regardless of how many times people enter or leave the city. The crime rate is the number of crimes in one year divided by the 600,000 people in the city.

If a cruise ship holds 2000 passengers + 1000 crew, then the population of the cruise ship is 3000. It is a city of 3000 people all year long. This is the number you use when calculating your statistics. You don't multiply it by the number of times passengers board each year. The crime rate is the number of crimes per year on the ship divided by the 3000 people the ship holds. Now just do this the same way considering the entire fleet as one large cruise ship "city".

However, if you feel an overwhelming need to add up all the passengers from each cruise the ship makes, then you also need to multiply this number by the percentage of a year they were on board. (Remember, people live in a city all year, but they are only on that cruise for a few days.) If they were on a typical 7 day cruise, then each person really only counts as about .0192 (roughly 2%) of a person when calculating it this way.

Done correctly, it's remarkable how similar some statistics are, like rates of reported crimes on a cruise ship compared to the average reported crimes in the U.S. However, except for falling overboard, it's more difficult for someone to truly go missing in an enclosed environment like a cruise ship compared to an open environment like a city.

I think all lines of Cruiseships are safe. It's some people who are unsafe, on land or at sea.

The one problem with collecting such data is that most people that fall off a ship are never found. I think you can count the ones that survived on one hand.

Many are never found and there is no video or note left behind. ALL 'go missing' at night, meaningful or not?

Many more are found, or there is a video, eyewitness, or a suicide note. Bodies are examined and usually found to have high blood alcohol. [i drink, am not anti-alcohol]

Lets say that only 25% of all cases have explanations and 75% are "unknown." Does the fact that all of the known cases are not accidents, have any bearing on the unknown cases.

Not suggesting that 25/75 are accurate numbers. I think a very high % of cases have a note, video, or witness.

Dan

Many are never found and there is no video or note left behind. ALL 'go missing' at night, meaningful or not?

Many more are found, or there is a video, eyewitness, or a suicide note. Bodies are examined and usually found to have high blood alcohol. [i drink, am not anti-alcohol]

Lets say that only 25% of all cases have explanations and 75% are "unknown." Does the fact that all of the known cases are not accidents, have any bearing on the unknown cases.

Not suggesting that 25/75 are accurate numbers. I think a very high % of cases have a note, video, or witness.

Dan

I have never read about a body that was actually recovered. Do you have a link? Been looking for that after all these incidents and couldnt find a one. I would greatly appreciate it.

I have never read about a body that was actually recovered. Do you have a link? Been looking for that after all these incidents and couldnt find a one. I would greatly appreciate it.

Don't have a link, but have read of bodies being found. Not many, but some.

Wish I had a link to the drunk that was climbing between balconies and fell off. He was found alive over 18 hours later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sober, very, very, sober.

Dan!

A friend of mine is on his first cruise... he leaves today on the Sensation. They are already talking about it onboard. They received a paper appologizing for any delays.... they are still looking for the crew member. I'll let you know if I hear anything else. He may not call me before they sail though.

My only point is that most people look at the statistics incorrectly because they don't understand how to compare apples to apples.

If you're going to compare apples to apples, 'splain how you would measure a resort town?

Here are the industry watchdogs they can help separate fact from fiction......the "NEWS"!!!??

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

http://www.*****************/......wow there blocked....here this will work but you will have to type it out...WWW.

c

r

u

i

s

e

b

r

u

i

s

e

. COM

I think that on board crimes such as assaults are a far larger challenge. The cruise lines have been doing their absolute best to hush them up and not have any investigations come to light-especially investigations pertaining to crew/passenger incidents. They will typically take the opportunity to get the crewmember off the ship as quickly as possible so as to avoid the possiblity of investigation by on shore police agencies.

do you remember the name of the so called cruise expert? Was it Ross Klein?

Bill

I'm not going to argue the point about people falling overboard. I agree that it's virtually always because they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing, and you can't design anything to totally overcome foolishness or criminal intent.

Washington DC has a population of roughly just under 600,000 people. The people are there pretty much all year round. You don't count them again each time they leave the city limits and come back in. You use the 600,000 number regardless of how many times people enter or leave the city. The crime rate is the number of crimes in one year divided by the 600,000 people in the city.

If a cruise ship holds 2000 passengers + 1000 crew, then the population of the cruise ship is 3000. It is a city of 3000 people all year long. This is the number you use when calculating your statistics. You don't multiply it by the number of times passengers board each year. The crime rate is the number of crimes per year on the ship divided by the 3000 people the ship holds. Now just do this the same way considering the entire fleet as one large cruise ship "city".

However, if you feel an overwhelming need to add up all the passengers from each cruise the ship makes, then you also need to multiply this number by the percentage of a year they were on board. (Remember, people live in a city all year, but they are only on that cruise for a few days.) If they were on a typical 7 day cruise, then each person really only counts as about .0192 (roughly 2%) of a person when calculating it this way.

Done correctly, it's remarkable how similar some statistics are, like rates of reported crimes on a cruise ship compared to the average reported crimes in the U.S. However, except for falling overboard, it's more difficult for someone to truly go missing in an enclosed environment like a cruise ship compared to an open environment like a city.

The year round every day population of cruise ships would exceed 300,000. Maybe 500,000.

Carnival alone has about 80 ships. At only 2000 people per that would be 160,000 Carnival pax & crew at sea at any given time. And I doubt the average is only 2000 per, more like 3000. Plus all other lines.

So what's the crime/ death/ missing rate of a city of 300,000 to 500,000.?

Dan

Very few on these boards ever agree with me, but as I have always said, a cruise ship is a small city with 3000 strangers on board.

Therefore, anything can and does happen. But still, I am told that

I am overreacting when I voice the unpopular opinion that kids belong sharing cabins with their parents and not across the hall. And, roaming the ship late at night alone is not good for anyone, kid, teen, adult, senior citizen. Etc, etc. you folks know the issues I refer to.

Don't know what happened on the above mentioned ship, and will probably never get the real story anyway, but one thing for sure is that I am happy that we follow our own strict safety rules while cruising.

If you're going to compare apples to apples, 'splain how you would measure a resort town?

A resort town would be similar. The actual permanent population would be similar to the crew, the average number of guests would be similar to the pax. Seasonal workers would count similar to guests.

In the end, you would measure based on the average number of people over the course of the year, not the total visitors. Or you would do what was stated previously, count people based on percentage of time they were there for the year. Both ways would come out with close to the same result.

The point was, just because a given cruise ship has 2000 pax times 52 weeks (plus 1000 crew) doesn't mean you use a population of 105,000 for that cruise ship for the year. Those 105,000 people were not there for an entire year. You can only use the 3000 people that it actually holds, and which would be the average population, as the population for the year.

Archived