Dry Tortugas Snorkeling

gargoyle999

We will be in Key West for a few days before our cruise in Feb. One of the days there is going to be a couple cruise ships in port so we are going to take the Yankee Freedom over to Dry Tortugas for the day.

I have a couple questions about snorkeling there. Has anyone done it and how was it? We have our own snorkel gear and need to decide if it is worth bringing along. We'll only have about 5 hours on land I think. Is there enough time to explore the fort and snorkel?

Also, since we will be there in Feb how will the water be as far as temp? We are coming from Minnesota so it will probably feel warm no matter what but just thought I'd ask.

We vacationed in Key West a few years ago. We did the cruise over to the Dry Tortugas. It was wonderful. DO THE FORT TOUR - Great info! Great Pictures too. We also had plenty of time to snorkle. We used their gear - but there were people who took their own over. They lunch they provided was good too! Hope that helps.

The two boats land at the small building on the far right of the photo. A very good place to snorkel is around the pilings at the top of the photo and in areas around to the left with various colors. The two, small sandy beaches are nice but there is nothng to see off of them. If you had the time and strength, you could snorkel / swim around the entire island. And the water at the fort always seems warm to me.

Ideally you would want to make three walking passes around the fort. Once on the inside at ground level to see its construction etc. Once on top of the walls because the view is so good in all four directions. And once around on that moat which surrounds the island.

IMO if this is the only snorkeling you will do, use the equipment provided by the boat.

fort-jefferson.jpg

I agree with Peter regarding equipment. There isn't a whole lot to see except aroudn the pilings. However, it is a GREAT place for the novice snorkler. Because you can swim all around the island, you can get usually get away from the wind and the subsequent chop that drives novices crazy while trying to learn.

Clay - a former KW local

Thanks everyone for the info! I am a novice snorkeler but have bought all my own equipment since we just went snorkeling in Cabo in Dec while on cruise and will be snorkeling in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan and now Key West next month. Plus have Hawaii planned for 2010. I've decide I really like snorkeling! :)

I've read others talk about the pilings so I'll head out there first and continue around to other places as time permits. We'll need to get a couple hours in checking out the fort as well. So will check out the fort first, then use whatever time I have remaning to snorkel.

I wasn't going to go originally during our 2 1/2 days in Key West but DW just saw some show about Dry Tortugas and I decided to change plans! So going there is sort of last minute! I'm looking forward to it.

How long did you guys take to explore the fort fully?

We took a casual 2 to 2.5 hours wandering around the fort and visiting the gift shop.

You can save some time by reading a little about the fort and it's history. Their web page is a good place to start...

http://www.fortjefferson.com/

And can save some time by looking at souvineers on the web page.

You used to be able to walk on a sand drift out to Bird Key but it was washed away with Wilma and has not re-formed. This is where those big frigate birds nest, among others.

Pjk

When I go out there I take along a picnic cooler with a nice bottle of white wine, some brie (Waterfront Market has beautiful sweet cheeses with cranberries or blueberries embedded), crusty french bread and fruit. Nothing heavy that may get you seasick on the way back. In Peter's photo, the lower right corner shows a bunch of scrub pines and you can see a trail to a wonderful beach. You won't be totally alone but it's big enough where you can get some privacy. Magnificent!

If you're truly a novice I wouldn't try to circumvent the island, it's a long swim and in some spots (northside) nobody will see you if you get into trouble. Stay in the popular areas, they are exciting enough.

If you're truly a novice I wouldn't try to circumvent the island, it's a long swim and in some spots (northside) nobody will see you if you get into trouble. Stay in the popular areas, they are exciting enough.

Good advice. I'm not in any kind of shape to be thinking about circumventing islands! Does someone there sort of tell you where the good areas are (besides the pilings)?

The water will be cold in February. I snorkeled some then, but it didn't take me too long before I got out - and I have significant natural insulation and was wearing a dive skin.

You can snorkel along the beach out a little ways along the wall and by the pilings which I think are the remains of an old coaling pier, but be sure you are in a designated area - you don't want to be run over by a boat. Not all the boats are daytrip boats.

You aren't allowed to go out to Bird Island, especially in Feb because that's when the birds are nesting. You are also not allowed to go in the moat although there's fish and stuff in there.

I would definitely go on the tour with the guide. It is very interesting - takes a couple of hours in the morning. You can't buy anything there except souvenirs at the NPS shop. They also had underwater film cameras when I was there last. There is a film in the headquarters, and you can see where Dr. Mudd was held prisoner (the guide doesn't usually get to that), plus you can walk around the top of the fort and walk around the moat wall.

The building where the boats come in to have salt water toilets - otherwise there's no place on the island (just on the boats, and the camping area has portapot type places. There's no potable fresh water there. There's really no place to shower off either.

I've been there twice. Once on a sailboat, and once I went on the seaplane and it had some problems and I came back on the catemaran ferry.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/ba12b/

Gargoyle between your boat captain, the rangers and repeat visitors you'll get a "boatload" of info on where to snorkel. Things change year to year because of hurricanes so you really need fresh info for the best underwater experience. Buy an underwater camera at home at walmart where they are reasonable.

Important to bring to Key West your most comfortable walking shoes. On this trip, bring a towel, waterproof sunscreen (the sun is magnified exponentially when you're snorkeling), a hat if you wear them and a small cooler as I mentioned above. Saltwater makes one thirsty for freshwater so bring a litre or so.

I also recommend visitors to bring "dump shoes"....old raggety sneakers so they can walk on the often sharp, rocky bottom. Then just dump them in the trash when you leave.

The water will be cold in February. I snorkeled some then, but it didn't take me too long before I got out - and I have significant natural insulation and was wearing a dive skin.

Thanks..I'm trying to decide about buying a wetsuit...+1 for "yes..buy one". :)

Thanks for the links to the pictures too!

Gargoyle between your boat captain, the rangers and repeat visitors you'll get a "boatload" of info on where to snorkel. Things change year to year because of hurricanes so you really need fresh info for the best underwater experience. Buy an underwater camera at home at walmart where they are reasonable.

Important to bring to Key West your most comfortable walking shoes. On this trip, bring a towel, waterproof sunscreen (the sun is magnified exponentially when you're snorkeling), a hat if you wear them and a small cooler as I mentioned above. Saltwater makes one thirsty for freshwater so bring a litre or so.

I also recommend visitors to bring "dump shoes"....old raggety sneakers so they can walk on the often sharp, rocky bottom. Then just dump them in the trash when you leave.

Is there a good place to buy water and a cheap cooler in Key West or should we look for some place in Ft Lauderdale before we head down? I'll have to do a search for Walmart Key West! :D

I have a underwater case for one of my digital cameras and it works good so that will be in tow!

Is there a good place to buy water and a cheap cooler in Key West or should we look for some place in Ft Lauderdale before we head down? I'll have to do a search for Walmart Key West! :D

Don't bother looking for a WallyWorld in KW; but there is a KMart that is not convenient to old town.

Your best bet near old town is the CVS right at the end of Duval, Fausto's supermarket on Fleming St or Walgreen's located in the 500 block of Duval. At the bight, close to the boats is The Waterfront Market that will have anything you could need along those lines.

All of these carry cheap styrofoam coolers and water.

Mike:)

Archived