cozumel shopping tips

lasonya

We will be sailing on the Freedom and stopping at Cozumel in the middle of February. Does anyone know where we should go to get some good deals on liquor, jewellry or anything else? We arent sure if there are any hot deals we should look for.

Thanks for any input...

Not the extract stuff...the real mccoy...definitely a must for any baker. Around $4-5 for a smallish size bottle.

I usually just go to the big, store that has everything..don't remember the name. Just check the prices as you walk along..they are pretty close to each other, in price.

i found out that the liquor was cheaper in the shops that you can walk to when you get off the ship there was lots of people there and the little bottles of liquor that you can take back to your cabin where really cheap. diane

Los Cinco Soles is a nice store. They have liquor, vanilla, Mexican silver and handicrafts. If you are walking, go left from the pier. Look for the large sign. You can't miss it. I got a loose Mexican fire opal at Romero and Rochet. I had it set into a ring and picked it up 1/2 hour later. I think I got a good deal. One tip, if you get a loose stone, have it set there. I bought a swiss topaz several cruises ago and thought I could have it set inexpensively when I got back home. The simple basket pendant setting was over $200. Plus, my local jeweler dropped the stone and chipped it. He replaced it with another topaz, but it just doesn't have the same feeling for me as the one I got on the ship. Have a great day in Cozumel!

When I go to Cozumel, I like to go to "Touch Of Gold" for the Mallorca Pearls. In 2005 I paid $1 an inch, but in 2007 I paid $2 an inch. The strands make great gifts. On all my cruises, I've only found them in Cozumel. Touch of Gold is one of the Carnival recommended shops, so check out the shopping talk or the map when you leave the ship. Have a great time!!

Also, if you see a good price on Kahlua, grab it there... it is after all a product of Mexico. When we went in '05, we passed up a GREAT deal on Kahlua because we had heard that another port (St. Maarten) had the BEST liquor prices... Couldn't touch the deal we passed up in Cozumel... Live and learn!!

Los Cinco Soles is a nice store. They have liquor, vanilla, Mexican silver and handicrafts. If you are walking, go left from the pier. Look for the large sign. You can't miss it. I got a loose Mexican fire opal at Romero and Rochet. I had it set into a ring and picked it up 1/2 hour later. I think I got a good deal. One tip, if you get a loose stone, have it set there. I bought a swiss topaz several cruises ago and thought I could have it set inexpensively when I got back home. The simple basket pendant setting was over $200. Plus, my local jeweler dropped the stone and chipped it. He replaced it with another topaz, but it just doesn't have the same feeling for me as the one I got on the ship. Have a great day in Cozumel!

I agree with Mary! We went there last April and it was real nice. We won a bottle of tequilla on the ship and had to go there to get it redeemed. There are 2 Los Cinco Soles in Coz and the one we had to go to was 15 blocks from the port. There was a nice restaurant there and my sister and I ate a really nice lunch before redeeming our coupon for a HUGE bottle of tequilla. Totally recommend it and the staff was so nice to us. The one lady was pregnant and overdue but was working to try to induce labour. We chatted to her for about an hour before we set back on our trek to the beach!

• 7 months later...

Goodmarks is great for jewelry. They have nice prices and are very reliable. I bought a slide for an omega and noticed a flaw after I got home. My next trip to Coz, I took it back and they exchanged it, no questions asked.

Mexico is always the best place to shop for Kahlua and tequila. You can take a picture of any display and show that at the shops on board and they'll match the price--then you don't have to carry it around town. Make sure you are using a digital camera though.

I second the loose stones in Cozumel. I can't recall which store I bought the stone from but it remains one of my wife's favorite pieces of jewelry. Mind you, it probably helps that my father-in-law is a jeweler so he was able to set the stone in a ring. Remember too that loose stones DO NOT count against your customs exemption. According to US Customs a loose stone is considered a mineral. A set stone becomes jewelry and therefore DOES count against your customs allowance.

• 1 month later...

Okay everyone,

My cruise leaves next week and Cozumel is one of the ports we're headed to. I haven't been there for five years. We've walked up and down the main drag many times and lugged liquor all around town it seems like. I need to know if anyone knows if Touch of Gold still has the Mallorca pearls by the inch. Is the price still $1 or has it gone to $2 per inch?

I've been to several ports that have Touch of Gold, including Ketchikan, AK, that sell the necklaces, bracelets, and earrings in the black (charcoal), white, and blush. Are all three colors still available? I'm shopping for holiday gifts.

Next, there's mention of Coach purses. One of my relatives is a Coach addict and would love to see what's available at a good price.

Can't wait to go to Panchos Backyard....only nine days until sailing. :D

Okay everyone,

My cruise leaves next week and Cozumel is one of the ports we're headed to. I haven't been there for five years. We've walked up and down the main drag many times and lugged liquor all around town it seems like. I need to know if anyone knows if Touch of Gold still has the Mallorca pearls by the inch. Is the price still $1 or has it gone to $2 per inch?

I've been to several ports that have Touch of Gold, including Ketchikan, AK, that sell the necklaces, bracelets, and earrings in the black (charcoal), white, and blush. Are all three colors still available? I'm shopping for holiday gifts.

Next, there's mention of Coach purses. One of my relatives is a Coach addict and would love to see what's available at a good price.

Can't wait to go to Panchos Backyard....only nine days until sailing. :D

Yes. Touch of Gold is still there but I don't remember how much per inch...I THINK it's still $1 (I went to one of the jewelry talks.) As far as the Coach purses go, no one ever answered me on here, so, if there is a store selling Coach, I never found it. But I can tell you, if you're docking at The International Pier, as you weave your way almost out of the shopping maze, there is a store on your left selling Jaca Boots. I noticed a couple of Coach in there but only a couple. Truthfully, I wish now that I had bought some of those boots. They were so cool...I'm definitely going to buy a pair next time I go.

How late are the stores open? We are booked from 9-5 but don't need to back to ship until 9 or 10. Will they be open for me to spend my DH's cash at? ;)

I tell you what, I'll try to make a note of the hours of some shops. Anything in particular you're looking for, jewelry, t-shirts, booze, or touristy stuff? Oh, and what day of the week will you be there?

We were on the Holiday a a year back, and ended up not arriving until 4 in the afteroon...It was great for us because we were the only ship left in port and it was a week after Christmas and all the lights were still up...

A lot of the small stores will shut down by 6, but larger places like Los Cincos Soles will remain open late...

I remain amazed at how much I recommedn LosCincos Soles...I have gone looking for an item and been to a dozen stores before returning tothem because they had the best price.

They are a ship rec store, which normally makes me dubious, but they really do have great prices and fantastic service.

Also, try Ponchos Backyard for a great meal.

Archived