Veendam to Bermuda - got the call!

teacherone

I was on the Aug 29 Eurodam cruise when the Bermuda season was announced. I made a Future Cruise Request for the Veendam's 2010 Bermuda season. My confirmation letter states:

"Holland America Line will contact either you or your preferred travel professional as soon as stateroom selection and pricing is available for these sailings. At that time, the sailing date will be confirmed and you will receive doubled shipboard credit in the following amounts: $50 pp inside/outside, $70 verandah, $100 suite"

Well we booked for May 30 -- when asking about Main Upper -- approx. 6:30 instead of 5:45 I was informed that because they offer My Time Dining -- the 6:30 option had been chopped --- now it's either 5:45, 8:00 or My Time Dining!!! We took 5:45 -- a bit early, but better than our experiences with anytime dining! V.

We were confirmed for Main Upper at 8:00pm.

I am fairly pleased about the pricing for this cruise. Yes, balcony cabins are really high, but for me, that category was taken out of play because they don't have quad cabins (I have a family of 4). I wasn't really planning on getting a balcony anyway on this cruise (even though I usually do on other cruises) because I didn't feel I'd be getting my "money's worth" with only 2 sailaways (leaving NY and leaving Bermuda). So for oceanview quad rooms, the price difference from NCL is only about $500 in total for all 4 of us. That is way worth it to me for a much better itinerary (& better line?). I based my comparison on the July 4th booking. Now in comparison to Royal Caribbean's 5-day itinerary for this year's July 4th sailing, the Veendam 7-day cruise was about $600 CHEAPER!...I've already got my cruises picked out for 2010, but for 2011, this is likely to be my pick!

I am fairly pleased about the pricing for this cruise. Yes, balcony cabins are really high, but for me, that category was taken out of play because they don't have quad cabins (I have a family of 4). I wasn't really planning on getting a balcony anyway on this cruise (even though I usually do on other cruises) because I didn't feel I'd be getting my "money's worth" with only 2 sailaways (leaving NY and leaving Bermuda). So for oceanview quad rooms, the price difference from NCL is only about $500 in total for all 4 of us. That is way worth it to me for a much better itinerary (& better line?). I based my comparison on the July 4th booking. Now in comparison to Royal Caribbean's 5-day itinerary for this year's July 4th sailing, the Veendam 7-day cruise was about $600 CHEAPER!...I've already got my cruises picked out for 2010, but for 2011, this is likely to be my pick!

I'm surprised that the RCI 5 night cruise is more expensive than the 7 night HAL cruise.

We're not looking to book a balcony either. Price difference from oceanview to balcony is very steep.

Still holding out to see what Celebrity prices will be for 7 nights when they add Bermuda to their website.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the prices are rather high for the Veendam Bermuda balcony room. I am definitely going to wait to see what Celebrity offers. The least expensive price I saw for a verandah was $1919 in August. Ouch! The other deciding factor will be Royal Dockyard vs. Hamilton & St. George. It's pretty much a no brainer, but those prices make me feel a bit guilty. I'm tempted to book an inside or ocean-view. Husband says "balcony or bust."

We booked a May 2010 Bermuda out of NYC 2 weeks ago while aboard the Veendam. Prices rise quicklyas you get to the June- August bookings as the Bermuda weather is hotter and clearer. One of the large on line TAs also has these cruises posted. The Bermuda cruises on HAl will be priced higher than competetitors because...it's HAL. Moreso, the itinerary is superior with two days in Hamilton and 2 in St. Georges. The Veendam size is a plus when going to Bermuda. Anytime from Mid August through October can be iffy in terms of hurricanes and prices may reflect this.

Hello Everyone --

I am glad that I came across this thread. DH and I are considering one of the Bermuda cruises in summer, 2010. We have always shied away from 7 day cruises and summer cruises because of the number of younger people/children/families sailing. We do not have anything against young people/children or families per se -- have 4 kids of our own -- but when it comes to cruising, we are more stodgy.

The reason we are looking at these summer cruises (believe it or not after reading the above paragraph :o) is that we are considering 'treating' our 4 adult children to this cruise -- summer works best as 3 of the 4 work in schools and a cruise leaving from NYC would not entail the need for airfare for anyone. We have not been together as a family unit in years except for Christmas 2006 for a day (ex-pats) and think it would be a very good way for all of us to reconnect.

So . . . after all this blah, blah, blah -- I am curious to know if any of you can help us in regard to what you think the demographics would be. I tell my husband that first of all this is HAL so the age may be higher even in the summer. Also Bermuda (at least in the past, I think) is a destination that the young and families are not as interested in as they may be in the Caribbean islands. But he is skeptical and I am not that sure myself.

Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

Thanks! (hope we don't come across too much like grumpy 'old fogies' )

The reason we are looking at these summer cruises .....-- summer works best as 3 of the 4 work in schools and a cruise leaving from NYC would not entail the need for airfare for anyone.

That reasoning pretty much sums up about 95% of the passengers on all the summer NYC-Bermuda cruises.... :D

Also Bermuda (at least in the past, I think) is a destination that the young and families are not as interested in as they may be in the Caribbean islands.

not quite sure how the Caribbean islands would be more "interesting" than Bermuda for children :confused:... Children enjoy the beaches the most... and very few beaches top those of Bermuda.

Archived